Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trimmed Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=78266)

Archive 09-06-2005 07:20 PM

Trimmed Cards

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>My belief is that SGC is not as generous with anything over NrMt. What is the % of T206 SGC 88 and aboves, compared to the PSA 8's or better, to the total number graded by each company.<br /><br />Jim, Do you buy the SGC 88's and above?<br /><br />Lee

Archive 09-06-2005 08:01 PM

Trimmed Cards

Posted By: <b>WP</b><p>Jim,<br /> Have you ever heard of Randall Stuckemeyer? He is building virtually all sets in SGC 88 or higher. If he completes his task the quality of his cards will prpbably be markedly better than those with PSA sets, Maybe this is something for you to consider?

Archive 09-06-2005 08:22 PM

Trimmed Cards

Posted By: <b>Scott Elkins</b><p>considered poor? I guess the slabbing stopped that concept when companies would not grade a trimmed card at all. I personally have three trimmed cards (now labeled authentic by GAI). Two, I knew when I bought them. They were Croft's Cocoas, so I bought them for fillers. One, is a Miller Fielding Ben traded me without mentioning it was trimmed. I knew it when the card arrived, but kept it anyway (instead of sending it all the way back to Canada).

Archive 09-06-2005 09:58 PM

Trimmed Cards

Posted By: <b>FYS</b><p>Jim, <br /><br />I do not know what year you end collecting sets, but 1968 and 1969 would not be that big of a challenge in SGC holders. I noticed you stated that you have not submitted raw in years, so this does make is more of a challenge. To ease the pain, if you set up a relationship with a couple high end vitage dealers that submit raw i.e. I want my 41 Playball's in SGC 88 and above, call me when you have them. You can direct the submittals, all you have to do is ask. Someone else pointed out Mr. Struckemyer's collection. He does have some beautifull high grade SGC stuff, including Pre & Post War.<br /><br />Go after the 41 Playball set in SGC holders. I bet you a lunch at the House of Blues in Clevelend at the 07 National that you will enjoy the ride more than most others. <br />

Archive 09-07-2005 01:02 AM

Trimmed Cards

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>jim, the other question is, why be a lemming? I know that crossing your stuff over would be costly, but I am sure SGC or GAI would be more than willing to work out some sort of deal. As someone else mentioned, if you make it known to major submitters that you want SGC88 cards, then you will only help your cause in getting more cards into SGC88 holders.<br /><br />Given all the problems that PSA has, do you really believe that leaving your cards in PSA slabs is a good long term plan? Short term, it's an obvious wise choice, but if you are in the hobby for the long haul, I would think that PSA's problems would be of major concern given the huge investment you have in their slabs.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Archive 09-07-2005 05:44 AM

Trimmed Cards

Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>I remember trimmed cards being classified as Poor. I didn't understand it then, nor do I understand it now. Trimmed cards are less desireable than those not trimmed, but imho not very much less desireable. Particularly in those instances where experienced persons are not sure or disagree on whether the card is trimmed.<br /><br />To an extent, the same applies to centering. Why the grading companies have embraced this characteristic as one of primary concern escapes me. It is true that badly off-centered cards detract some from the overall appearance of the card; but it is also true that some think that borders are unnecessary once the card is no longer circulating (except for decorative borders).<br /><br />Tony (the Cleaver) Clevamonte - trimmed cards my specialty.<br /><br />Hack 'em, don't sack 'em.

Archive 09-08-2005 04:13 PM

Trimmed Cards

Posted By: <b>Jim Crandell</b><p>Jay,<br /><br />I agree and I am concerned. But, for various reasons I have decided to wait and see how it plays out. <br /><br />If I went to SGC to convert, I would expect to pay full price. GAI I would likely get a very good deal.<br /><br />Not clear yet to me how the different grading companies will shake out although as I said I think grading will continue to increase.<br /><br />Jim

Archive 09-08-2005 04:16 PM

Trimmed Cards

Posted By: <b>Jim Crandell</b><p>WP and FYS,<br /><br />Thank you both for your comments.<br /><br />Lee-I have not bought SGC cards although I have a few in old SGC holders lieing around.<br /><br />Jim