Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It is with Unimaginable Sadness that we have lost our Dear Ted Zanidakis (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=344841)

babraham 01-08-2024 10:16 PM

:(

RIP Ted.

NiceDocter 01-08-2024 10:28 PM

Ted Z

So sorry to see this legend go..... he was always kind and generous with his knowledge. Who else had the original 1952 Topps Mantle with the wrapper and other cards in the pack intact still since he opened it as a youngster? In his spirit, Id like to take this opportunity to thank all the people on here Ive done deals with over the last 10 years..... and offer my heartfelt regrets at the few times I through ignorance or poor communications have made some people frustrated or angry. I will try to do better..... thanks Ted for your great example.... RIP

JustinD 01-08-2024 10:34 PM

Had some wonderful discussions on the forum and I remember the nice gift he sent this last summer like it arrived yesterday. Sadly, like many of you we had not met in person but I had hopes that perhaps I could get that done. Unfortunately I have missed my chance.

In the many years I have been visiting this forum there are several we lost that forever changed the group. Ted will certainly be in that list.

Rest well.

whiteymet 01-08-2024 10:37 PM

So sad!

Danny:

I know this is so tough for you. And all of us.

Teddy's contribution to the hobby can not be overstated.

Will truly miss him.

chadeast 01-08-2024 10:53 PM

Oh no, that is really sad news. I didn't have the privilege of knowing Ted personally but I greatly enjoyed the generous way in which he shared his amazing knowledge on this forum. RIP Ted

Baseball Rarities 01-08-2024 10:55 PM

Sad, sad news. RIP Ted.

maniac_73 01-08-2024 10:57 PM

Total gut punch reading this. The collecting world lost a giant.
Prayers and Strength to Charlotte and the rest of Ted's family.
RIP to a Legend of the Hobby

Vintagecatcher 01-09-2024 12:20 AM

Prayers to Ted's family

Great hobby legend and a better person.

Patrick

oldjudge 01-09-2024 02:44 AM

Horrible news! RIP Ted.

barrysloate 01-09-2024 02:54 AM

I am also devastated by this news, especially since unfortunately Ted and I lost touch the last few years. I’m still not entirely sure why, perhaps a little stubborness by each of us, but I always assumed we would one day patch things up. Sadly that won’t happen.

Ted and I met about 1984 when he called me late one night to buy a few 1949 Bowmans from my SCD ad. And wasn’t I shocked and thrilled to discover that he was the guy who wrote the inspiring article in Baseball Cards magazine about the set. We became close friends for many years. Our discussions, our get togethers, our regulars trades and deals, dinners with the wives, became a major part of the rest of our lives. We may have disagreed about some things but we always moved past it.

I will miss you Ted and if it was my fault that we hadn’t spoken the last few years then I take full responsility for it and I apologize. I should have worked a little harder to make things better. RIP my friend.

scottglevy 01-09-2024 03:07 AM

I am one of the many folks that will miss Ted. Such a wonderful person and a tremendously knowledgeable individual on T206 cards in particular. My deepest condolences to Charlotte and family.

benjulmag 01-09-2024 03:43 AM

I'm speechless.

Ted and I go back over thirty years, and in that time whenever I would see him he would greet me with a smile and we would talk on and on.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends. The hobby has lost one of its true great ones.

GaryPassamonte 01-09-2024 04:23 AM

RIP Ted.

Johnny630 01-09-2024 04:38 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this...my thoughts and prayers are with you Dan I know he was a dear dear friend to you. May he rest in peace with the Eternal Lord Jesus. God Speed.

GoldenAge50s 01-09-2024 04:52 AM

Terrible news to start my day---He will be missed immensely here on the Board & by those that knew him in person! Rest In Peace, Ted!

the-illini 01-09-2024 05:03 AM

Very sad to hear this. RIP Ted.

mauibeachbum 01-09-2024 05:24 AM

Ted z

Though I am very frequent reader of this site, according to the records, I haven’t posted here since 2011. I need to talk about Ted’ s death . This is an awful way to start 2024. Teddy Z and I first met back in the Stone Age at the willow grove shows in the late 70’s..along with his faithful companion, Ralph Triplette. They were both purists, actually hobby scientists, always on the lookout for card news. I’d get a note from teddy about the newest 49 bowman variations they had found, or some other obscure minutiae. I was putting together doubleheader sets..they were studying backs of cards for irregularities. I didn’t quite understand their passion at the time. Heck, I was hunting for a nice 52 Mathews or George Crowe . As the years went by , I finally got it. ☺️ Over the years He and I did deals . He’d just send me a bunch of 49 highs..and id buy them. Sometimes id meet him in cullowhee NC at Ralph’s place to buy cards and he oversaw the disposition of Ralph’s collection over many months. We do one show a year. (The national) and he was one of a small handful of hobby characters I always looked forward to seeing. A very sad day, indeed. Teddy Z will be missed. Kit Young

vintagebaseballcardguy 01-09-2024 06:00 AM

I hate to hear this. RIP, Ted.

LuckyLarry 01-09-2024 06:04 AM

Sad news Ted will be greatly missed

Seven 01-09-2024 06:17 AM

I am truly heartbroken and devastated.

I met Ted for the first time at one of the Cooperstown shows, that he would set up in the small room at the Cooperstown Veterans Club. I was finally able to reconnect with him, when I came to this forum, as an adult in 2019. We had many conversations over email, though looking back on it I very much regret not getting his phone number and being able to talk to him on the phone. We spoke of the Old Yankees players, baseball cards, life, etc. It was the thing that always amazed me about this hobby, that it could bring people young and old together

I was able to see Ted again, at the Philly Show, post Covid. In the past we had many conversations about Phil Rizzuto, Ted explained to me how they didn't live to far from one another at one point. In a very fitting manner, he happened to be selling a raw 1950 Bowman Phil Rizzuto card, which I happily purchased from him. It was a nice way to culminate meeting again, and being able to discuss the hobby.

2023, was a bit of a mess for me, numerous family issues, and life issues got in the way of me being able to participate in the Hobby, and my conversations with Ted unfortunately lessened. When I saw the good news a few days ago, I was hoping that I'd be able to see Ted in Person again, or at least speak to him through email or an eventual phone call. This is a stark reminder to not take life for granted, cherish your friends and loved ones and that life is truly too short.

Ted was an incredible man. I will sorely miss him, and our conversations. You wish men, like Ted, could live forever, with the amount of kindness he was able to show to so many people. If there is a collection occurring for his funeral expenses I will gladly participate.

Ted, enjoy the great big Card Show in the sky. Where you're able to endlessly talk about the hobby we love so much, with so many others.

- James

butchie_t 01-09-2024 06:20 AM

Words simply cannot explain nor placate the loss of Mr. Zanidakis. His passing goes beyond that.

Rest in Power Sir, the collecting world has lost one of its finest.

Regards,

Butch.

h2oya311 01-09-2024 06:29 AM

This outpouring of love and support is all you need to see to know how much of a treasure he has been to the hobby and this Net54 forum family. You will be missed Ted Z!

For some reason, I get this sense that Ted is in a better place now and that he has been given the answers to all his theories on T206 and every other set he pontificated about. May we all strive to be a little like Ted each day!

alywa 01-09-2024 06:34 AM

I never personally met Ted, but as I was getting into T206 I'd pour over his wonderfully detailed articles / threads about the set and its complexities. I was (and still am) amazed at the depth of knowledge he possessed. A true scholar and from what I can gather an even better gentleman.

RIP, and thank you.

Kingcobb 01-09-2024 07:06 AM

Ted

Oh my what a loss to the hobby. His knowledge and kindness to help will be greatly missed. Prayers for his family.

John1941 01-09-2024 07:19 AM

I will miss seeing his posts.

May he rest in peace, and may all who knew him be comforted.

ccre 01-09-2024 07:28 AM

I never had the pleasure of meeting Ted. But his posts always made me smile. His knowledge of the hobby was second to none and I certainly learned a lot from his wisdom. Rest in peace Ted. We sure lost a good one.

toppcat 01-09-2024 07:30 AM

Terrible news, may he rest in peace.

MuncieNolePAZ 01-09-2024 07:36 AM

You will be missed Ted. You were an absolute treasure on this site. I never met you in person, but enjoyed numerous conversations here. Rest in Peace. Prayers to your family.

Chad

4815162342 01-09-2024 07:57 AM

This is very sad news. I’m praying for comfort for his family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yanksfan09 01-09-2024 08:23 AM

Rest in peace, Condolences to the family.

parkplace33 01-09-2024 08:26 AM

RIP. He was a legend and a great man.

nebboy 01-09-2024 08:34 AM

His research and hobby knowledge will keep him with us. From all of us here RIP.

RCMcKenzie 01-09-2024 08:41 AM

Sad news. Ted Z will be missed. My condolences.

nwobhm 01-09-2024 08:55 AM

Rip

Hankphenom 01-09-2024 08:57 AM

So sad.

jingram058 01-09-2024 09:05 AM

My God, this is awful.

Since I came onboard this forum, it became clear that Ted was, as they say, a treasure, and in Ted that is no cliche. He truly was. No one fills those shoes in this hobby, ever. I had numerous interactions with Ted, no the least of which was him sending me an article he wrote about the 1953 Bowman set. We also discussed a mutual service duty station, Chanute Air Force Base, even though Ted was Air Force and I was Navy.

Something is forever lost when guys like Ted go. They just don't make people like him in our society anymore.

RIP, sir.

ullmandds 01-09-2024 09:17 AM

RIP Ted...you were one of the last of a dying breed...we bonded over the years over my disdain for T206(:D). I had the pleasure of meeting Ted a few times over the years at shows...I certainly enjoyed the time I had with him. Ted will be greatly missed! My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Exhibitman 01-09-2024 09:23 AM

Damn, that sucks. I like to think he'll be at the great card show in the sky this summer.

icurnmedic 01-09-2024 09:31 AM

Did not know him, but his posts were some of my favorite reads. Will be missed by many.

refz 01-09-2024 10:24 AM

Omfg this is terrible. A great asset to our hobby. I am grateful to have been able to meet Ted & do a few transactions together. Condolences to his family.

Yoda 01-09-2024 10:32 AM

I'm crushed. Lost for words. Ted was irreplaceable. Does anybody feel that the Board sending flowers to his funeral would be appropriate. Of course, I would be happy to contribute.

Rich Klein 01-09-2024 10:42 AM

May his memory be for a blessing.

Dr. Beckett and I were on Hobby Hotline last Saturday and we did a tribute to Ted, while he was still with us. Our talking about Ted begins at about the 8:25 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aka7QfJ0Zlg

Regards
Rich

Al C.risafulli 01-09-2024 10:51 AM

I haven't seen Ted in a few years but I always looked forward to his visits at the National (and before that, at the Philly show). He was very encouraging to me when I was first starting Love of the Game, and always had a kind word and a smile. Condolences to his family and to his many, many friends.

-Al

glchen 01-09-2024 10:58 AM

Terrible and shocking news. I always enjoyed Ted's posts on the board, and this is a huge loss. RIP, Ted.

rhettyeakley 01-09-2024 11:04 AM

Been a few years since we talked but he was a great friend!

The hobby lost one of the greats!

Chuck9788 01-09-2024 11:17 AM

Ted Z was a very loved person, He will be greatly missed.
I was checking out some of his posts and came across his most recent one (below). Haha, Ted Z talking Casey Stengel, gotta love it!

Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE / REFLECTIONS.....Tuesday Nite Trivia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Yes, the first Home Run at Yankee Stadium was hit by none other than Babe Ruth on opening day of the stadium (4/18/1923).

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...ilt-180981888/
I should have qualified it....Stengel hit the 1st HR in the World Series at Yankee Stadium batting for the Giants.

SABR quote......
"Stengel’s inside-the-park home run in the ninth inning won Game One for McGraw’s Giants. The moment was
immortalized by a Damon Runyon column which began “This is the way old Casey Stengel ran yesterday.” Two
days later, Casey hit another home run in Game Three, giving the Giants a 1-0 victory."

TED Z

T206 Reference

jbsports33 01-09-2024 11:39 AM

Ted – you will be truly missed and all your T206 wisdom. God Bless!

I am so glad I had the pleasure of meeting you at all those Philly shows.

Dan – thank you for the updates! we are all thinking of you too!

Jimmy

calvindog 01-09-2024 11:41 AM

Wow, just seeing this now. Really shocking news.

steve B 01-09-2024 12:13 PM

A sad day, I don't think we ever met in person, but he was a really good member of the hobby in general.

Ted really knew stuff, and a lot of it firsthand.

akleinb611 01-09-2024 12:15 PM

Damn

DAMN

damn.

This hurts. I've reached the magical stage in life when losing someone you know and cherish is, alas, not an unusual event. But losing Ted hurts big time.

I never met him (although I'm sure we brushed up against one another at some point). But his hobby expertise, his grasp of the history, and most of all, his kindness and generosity came through every time he posted - and every time someone else posted about him.

My closest hobby friend was the late Bobby Bostoff (may his memory be a blessing). I've continued to collect since his death, but I'd be lying if I denied that a lot of the fun went out of the hobby when he died.

The lesson - the cards are fun, but they're just cards. The people you meet along the way - they're truly what matters.

Alan Kleinberger