Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Graded or raw? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=318923)

homerunhitter 12-21-2022 09:48 PM

now that the dust has settled and graded cards seem to be flooding the market. What are your thoughts now?

brianp-beme 12-22-2022 01:38 AM

13 Attachment(s)
I like to collect cards that reputable grading card companies will not likely slab, so if more vintage is under plastic it probably won't effect me.

Brian

brianp-beme 12-22-2022 02:22 AM

I would like to see them try to slab the Cracker Jack Caldwell. The wooden plaque is about 5/8" thick.

Brian

jingram058 12-22-2022 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homerunhitter (Post 2296497)
now that the dust has settled and graded cards seem to be flooding the market. What are your thoughts now?

Read my signature below; it says it all about graded cards

Snowman 12-23-2022 02:41 AM

I like both, but for my vintage sets, I prefer raw. I crack out the majority of cards in slabs that I buy. The only ones I don't are high value cards. But even with those, I still occasionally crack them out as well.

Leon 12-25-2022 07:47 AM

Nice notes on those backs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2237581)
Raw, because if graded, my ability to write an insult on the card is instantly lost.

Brian (Meusel is nothing but a old flat lunch...in case you were wondering)

homerunhitter 12-27-2022 07:41 PM

To the top!

homerunhitter 03-21-2023 06:12 PM

Any new thoughts?

vintagebaseballcardguy 03-21-2023 07:12 PM

No, no one has posted any thoughts on this dead horse topic since Christmas. No one has any new thoughts on this topic on the Postwar side either. There are no new thoughts on this topic. Use the search feature on this site. A guy named Archive will give you plenty to read.

brianp-beme 03-21-2023 07:46 PM

I have had one new thought on this topic...I like my cards graded if they are not raw.

Brian

garymc 03-22-2023 03:14 AM

raw cards

2 Attachment(s)
I have both, if I get an expensive graded card I might not crack it open but I prefer raw ?

FrankWakefield 03-22-2023 07:36 AM

John, great puzzles! Gary, awesome photos!!

graded or raw... slabbed or natural entombed or liberated

I don't want a 9 or a 10 card.

I want one I can touch and I'm not concerned about touching.

Vintage Vern 03-22-2023 09:50 AM

My observation, but I notice a lot of people complaining about graded cards entombed, slabed whatever the term used is, then they break them out and then put them right back in an entombed state they feel is not entombed. I also don't understand the term the way they where ment to be. Where they ment to be stuck in binders, sleeves, shoeboxes, tins, safety deposit boxes or any other way of preservation? Where they ment for grown men to handle and smell them? Where they ment to be unknown or different variations worth more money? Where they ment for HOFers with bloated numbers to be more valuable then common players?

Is it a disservice to break them out without letting companies know for other collectors that want that type of information? Why devalue a card not just in terms of monetary, but also authenticity.

Raw vs graded is also funny to me as I see a formula for both, raw is graded, just in a different subjective way. If not why is 1 worth more than another or more desirable graded or raw? People care even if they try not to act like they do. I also don't buy some "don't care" if they're buying a fake even if it's raw. If you love the hobby that should bother you. I couldn't care less if its graded or raw, but I want it to be real regardless and as nice as I can find. Nothing I collect have I ever seen better then mid grade and raw has been less then that. When you're looking at truly rare cards which I am rarer then most HOF cards to be honest I try to find and preserve the best card I can get. Some like them beat up some like them mint some can only afford certain grades, but we all are trying to preserve. I can guarantee that I'm not doing it for an investment other than investing in preservation of a little known common player that I will be donating to the town so future generations can observe the past. I may be mistaken, but most if not all franchises major or minor league have some sort of entombed history including the HOF for every major sport. They seem to understand the importance of entombed treasures.

Zach Wheat 03-22-2023 01:59 PM

Nice T207's Gary. The crazing prevalent on these cards drives me nuts.

Regarding Al's original question - I prefer raw over graded. The bulk of my collection is raw; however, the practical implications of having every card raw and realizing this is likely a generational issue has led me to having a number of cards graded.

JollyElm 03-22-2023 05:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 563960

Attachment 563964

hawaiian bam bam 03-08-2024 08:24 AM

Any updates?

jpat 03-08-2024 09:13 AM

This response was posted in error (oops). Sorry.

jpat 03-08-2024 09:22 AM

This response was posted in error (oops). Sorry.

StraightRaceCards 03-08-2024 09:58 AM

Like others said, raw is great to learn from.

My first 40-50 t206’s commons I bought were raw so I could understand the intricacies of the cards…pull out a loupe and study them.

Now that I have a little better of an understanding (still learning), I feel much more comfortable with the set and would feel better buying raw or graded

I do like graded, because the uniformity of my SGC slabs in all the cards/sets I have pleases me, plus the protection.

Don’t care as much for investment, but it certainly is something to consider for more expensive cards.

Collect how you like, and be confident in your choice.

One of my favorite things to do is buy raw and then grade the card knowing I got a better deal buying the raw than buying a slabbed version in the same grade.

People often forget, it’s a hobby. Enjoy your hobby!

hawaiian bam bam 03-24-2024 04:40 PM

lately on social media/message boards, I see so many graded cards and pelican cases talk everywhere. It makes me wonder if in the future raw cards will be frowned upon by collectors as it seems everyone in the hobby likes psa graded cards! like many of you, growing up, graded cards werent a thing. you had raw cards and raw cards only! I miss that simplicity of collecting. I say that because back then, raw cards were it! nowadays too many people in the hobby are in it to flip and go! meaning tons of fake cards, altered cards, trimmed cards, etc, etc. so graded cards do safe guard these issues somewhat (I know not 100% but thats a whole different topic and a whole different thread!) I love raw cards but dont want to be stiffed with altered fake cards! I almost wish the hobby would go back to raw cards being cool (instead of graded cards being the go too) I know, I know collect what I like, but again. dont want to get stuck with fake cards! make raw cards great again!