Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Before and After (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299999)

Exhibitman 04-15-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 2093205)
Such an underrated point. I think the above helps prices rise for another card. If I sold a card for 3x what I paid I am more likely to overpay on something else.

Yeah, it is the theory of playing with the house's money. I've only done that a couple of times. The first one was as a treat for myself after I won a big case. The second was after I'd sold off a big chunk of my collection in preparation for a major auction where I went all-in on a card. Neither deal ended up being a good investment for me, so I am trying really hard to curb my enthusiasm this time around.

puckpaul 04-16-2021 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2093206)
Yeah, it is the theory of playing with the house's money. I've only done that a couple of times. The first one was as a treat for myself after I won a big case. The second was after I'd sold off a big chunk of my collection in preparation for a major auction where I went all-in on a card. Neither deal ended up being a good investment for me, so I am trying really hard to curb my enthusiasm this time around.

yes, it sure seems like the time to NOT go all in. have to resist chasing things, though there have been some cards that I had been waiting to acquire where I paid a little more to make sure I had it to finish a set, for example, incase it went further! the Julius Erving is killing me, though, had most of that set from my childhood and was waiting and watching to buy one...there are a lot of them, and I just never focused and bought one. now they are up 10x or more! can't even get an EX-Mt for reasonable, and there are thousands of high grade ones there and above. so, not chasing that one. seems like cards like that have cooled some off the dec-March spike.

Touch'EmAll 04-16-2021 10:10 AM

Yeah, chasing cards and going all in with today's market tough decision. Little voice says stop the bidding where you are comfortable and go no further. Of course there is the other little voice says get it now, will only cost more later. I bid on several REA items, over bid already on all. Sigh, just going to stop, watch and see results from afar.

Exhibitman 04-16-2021 10:58 AM

Me too w/REA and seemingly every auction. I was genuinely surprised to win a card in LOTG last week. Lots of bids, one won.

The question I ask myself now is whether the item is cumulative or whether it adds some dimension to my collection that wasn't there before. If the latter, I go after it. if the former, I see if I can get it on the cheap.

packs 04-16-2021 11:03 AM

My rules have stayed the same during the surge. I’m only willing to shell out big money for cards that are easily sold. My days of esoteric type card spending are over.