Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   TV Shows/Movies featuring Cards....I'll start Hart to Hart (1982) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=293909)

clydepepper 01-03-2021 07:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
In the movie 'Mask', the title character was completing a 1955 Topps Brooklyn Dodgers set.

Attachment 433797

In a more recent movie, 'The Accountant', the title character was sometimes paid for his 'work' with Baseball Cards and he had some pricey ones in a drawer.

Attachment 433795

clydepepper 01-03-2021 07:26 AM

Actually, this probably covers it all:

https://baseballcardbreakdown.blogsp...es-and-tv.html

mortimer brewster 01-04-2021 09:31 AM

I remember watching an early Dick Van Dyke Show episode a few years back. Richie was playing with Baseball Cards. They were from 1961 which is the first year of the show.

dealme 01-04-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skil55voy (Post 2051862)
The Sandlot:

The Babe taking Aaron's 54 Rookie card. The scene at the kitchen table at breakfast and a full box of Post Cereal from 1962 with cards on back.

The box box was borrowed for the scene from Dr. James McAvoy.

I think there was also a '62 Lou Brock pinned up in the treehouse

jchcollins 01-04-2021 03:11 PM

It's not a tv show, but a commercial I've been trying to find forever and can't. I want to say it was a Hallmark commercial, but since I have never been able to find it on YouTube or otherwise throughout the years, it's possible I'm wrong. Anyway, this would have been from the holiday season of around 1988 if I'm remembering correctly - but the premise is there is a girl that is a baseball (softball?) player and for gifts everyone knows she's a tomboy, but it's one special uncle who gives her baseball stuff. At the end of the commercial there is a '52 Topps card (I'm not sure who...but I want to say a Cardinal...) tacked to her dresser. It was just a neat, nostalgic piece - maybe she also got a catcher's mitt for Christmas? I did too around the same time, maybe that's why I remember it so fondly.

jchcollins 01-04-2021 03:14 PM

I did see also mentioned earlier the '58 Mantle All-Star in Stand By Me. The error there is the '60 Yogi Berra that is with it. (The movie was set in 1959).

Also with Stephen King's Needful Things - the card in the book interestingly enough is a '56 Koufax, not Mantle. I guess the Hollywood folks thought Mantle would play better on the big screen. Also if you read the book, you will pick up enough about Stephen King's description of the young boy as a card collector to know that he can do good research as an author -- but he's no card collector himself. :) "Fleers" and some fictional "Lucky Strike" cards?

packs 01-04-2021 03:37 PM

I remember in the movie House Guest with Sinbad and Phil Hartman, Sinbad's character had some kind of baseball card scheme and there's a scene where a bunch of boxes of cards get delivered to his house.

jchcollins 01-04-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2052241)
In the movie 'Mask', the title character was completing a 1955 Topps Brooklyn Dodgers set.

Attachment 433797

In a more recent movie, 'The Accountant', the title character was sometimes paid for his 'work' with Baseball Cards and he had some pricey ones in a drawer.

Attachment 433795

MASK with Rocky and his Dodgers wall is great. I watched that movie over and over as a kid, at first admittedly just because there were cards in it. Rocky talks about the '55 Dodgers but if you look closely, he also has '56 Topps cards as part of that collection. Love the scene with Cher ripping up a card - I think it is a '74 Ron Cey? And then Rocky's prized possession on his wall is obviously the '55 Jackie. If the movie was set in the late 70's that was probably a $15 or so card then. Oh and then his grandpa brings him a '55 Bowman Pee Wee but drives a thumb tack straight thru the card itself...classic.

fkm_bky 01-04-2021 04:48 PM

Pride of the Yankees. One of my all time favorite movies. In the opening a young Lou Gherig is asking some other kids to play baseball. He says he has some baseball cards he will give them for an at bat...one of which is "Babe Ruth? A Rookie!"...classic line from a classic movie. I think they mention Hans Wagner as well, but my memory may be failing me. I'll have to bust out the DVD and re-watch it.

bobw 01-04-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkm_bky (Post 2052751)
Pride of the Yankees. One of my all time favorite movies. In the opening a young Lou Gherig is asking some other kids to play baseball. He says he has some baseball cards he will give them for an at bat...one of which is "Babe Ruth? A Rookie!"...classic line from a classic movie. I think they mention Hans Wagner as well, but my memory may be failing me. I'll have to bust out the DVD and re-watch it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...64815538_z.jpg

KangsKards 01-05-2021 12:37 PM

Americans

I noticed in several episodes the boy has baseball cards tacked above his bed, supposed to take place in 1980 or 81-ish, I think I remember it being a 1987 Topps All Star card.

KangsKards 01-05-2021 12:40 PM

Criminal Minds

There was also an episode of Criminal Minds, one of the first two or three, where Spencer solves a riddle involving a 1963 Topps Nellie Fox.

jchcollins 01-05-2021 02:37 PM

In the movie "Iron Eagle" from 1986, (Jason Gedrick, Lou Gossett Jr...) Doug's kid brother is in a scene where he is talking to a girl on the phone in his room pretending he's older. There are lots of 1985 Topps cards up on the walls. This led me as a 9 year old kid to subsequently tack up '86 Topps cards on my bulletin board walls, I'm assuming at some point after I saw the movie. Some survive in my collection to this day, only slightly worse for the wear with the thumbtack hole as a reminder. I think one is Reggie as a California Angel, and some of the box bottom cutouts that year (Rose, Fernando Valenzuela...) that I still have also have the thumbtack hole.

Thankfully the movie / me as a collector came out when they did, and not say in...1952.

T206BrownHindu 01-07-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KangsKards (Post 2053008)
There was also an episode of Criminal Minds, one of the first two or three, where Spencer solves a riddle involving a 1963 Topps Nellie Fox.

Season 1, about episode 20...watching it now!

fkm_bky 06-12-2021 07:27 AM

Anyone watch Loki this week and notice the T206 Honus Wagner card in the drawer full of infinity stones at the TVA? Obvious reprint, of course!

Bill

h2oya311 11-26-2021 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 2049993)
A couple of years ago on an episode of Better Call Saul - one of the cohorts had his valuable collection of 50s baseball cards stolen. When he got them back and went through them to confirm they were all there, it was obvious they were a box of 90s commons.

Bumping as I’m finally getting around to watching Better Call Saul. The whole episode was devoted to this guy getting his baseball cards back. Pretty funny as I can relate. If this happened to me, I’d go to the cops too. He’s spouting off names and cards that would be upsetting to have had stolen.

Anyway, another weird movie fact I saw a few years ago (2018). While watching Creed, they show Pardon the Interruption on tv, which happens to show that Patriots vs. Eagles on the bottom line. This was the Super Bowl matchup in 2018. Cool thing is, Creed was made three years earlier in 2015! Great prognostication? Cool that I happened to watch this movie shortly after the 2018 Super Bowl, so it stood out to me.

BobC 11-26-2021 10:46 PM

How about 'Cop Out' from 2010 with Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan. Willis is a cop who loses his 1952 Topps - Andy Pafko card #1, and spends the whole movie trying to get it back so can sell it to help pay for his daughter's wedding.

25801wv 11-27-2021 06:08 AM

I remember watching an episode of Dennis the Menace where he had a 1955 Topps Koufax.

mrreality68 11-27-2021 08:30 AM

Wow this is a fun thread.

Watch many of those and never paid attention pretty cool

vthobby 11-27-2021 11:44 PM

Xtandi commercial....

Just saw a new Xtandi (drug) commercial and a guy named Karl Foster plays catch with a kid then shows him a box with his baseball card in it. It was a fantasy 1980 topps card and showed him playing for the Armadillos.

Pretty cool commercial with a card that never existed but showed him playing catch with a neighbor kid which was cool.

Mike

Gary Dunaier 11-28-2021 12:47 AM

CONTENT ADVISORY: NON-SPORT CARD RELATED, WITH SPOILER

Everybody Loves Raymond, season 4, episode 17, "Hackidu," original airdate 2/21/00

Synopsis (cut-and-pasted from Wikipedia, slightly edited and supplemted by me): In a spoof of the Pokémon craze, Ray's daughter Ally makes a Hackidu card trade (all of her cards for one Scramisaur card) which Ray does not agree with. He reverses the trade, only to find out that the Scramisaur card that Ally was getting is actually very rare and an expensive. Ally is devastated and to make it right, Ray buys her a Scramisaur from an eccentric card shop owner. Ray presents the mint condition card to Ally, who promptly folds it and puts it in her pocket.

bobbyw8469 11-29-2021 01:27 PM

I remember Magnum PI had an episode once involving a 1954 Al Kaline rookie card.

Alaskanmade 11-29-2021 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
George Costanza has good taste.
Rewatching Seinfeld and saw these beauties in the background.

JollyElm 12-07-2021 02:28 AM

Sort of tangential, but I just watched 'Psych: The Musical' and one of the songs randomly mentions Harold Baines (this was before he made The Hall).

The coroner sings about his cheating wife..."Think your wife was not with White Sox slugger, Harold Baines...it's the opposite of that, he even left behind his bat."

And then Shawn says, "The real question here is, who still has a Harold Baines bat?"

Completely and utterly random.

skil55voy 12-07-2021 05:41 AM

Cards on TV

Here's a couple of more:

Dick York in a Alfred Hitchcock episode from 1961 called the Doubtful Doctor. He has blackouts and his life reverts back 2years. He buys what appears to be 1957 Topps baseball cards from a kid.

Leave it to Beaver, Wally gets a job at the soda fountain in the town drugstore. When Beaver, Gilbert and another come into get sodas they can't pay. When Wally tries to get them to pay, Gilbert empty's his pockets and there are 59 Topps Baseball cards dropped on the counter, episode: Wally's Weekend Job.

Gary Dunaier 12-11-2021 06:37 PM

It's Garry Shandling's Show - "Foul Ball" (season 1, episode 4), original airdate 10/1/86, has a couple of interesting scenes.

At the top of the show, Garry talks about looking forward to going to a ballgame. To get in the mood he shows the audience his baseball card collection, and during the opening credits they show closeups of some of the cards. (2:11 in the linked video)

Later, there's a scene where Garry and his neighbor's son are looking over their cards. Garry offers the kid a Mickey Mantle, a Roger Maris, and $10 for a Dwight Gooden card. ("It cost me a lot, but Dwight Gooden is really a rare card.") (13:51)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7qrz9n