Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1952 mantle probstein (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268879)

irv 05-12-2019 07:26 PM

:)

frankrizzo29 05-12-2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1877154)
Now in and sgc 7.5 holder on the bst boards.

When you have to quote "straight " grades and their sold prices, something might be "crooked"

I am really confused by these posts, I own and purchased that 9OC donlin in the Fall Goldin auction and still own it. Why are pictures of it being used in this thread?

ajg 05-13-2019 06:07 AM

Where do I begin? Here are Probstein's instructions on all his items. Does "yes, we reduce shipping on all unpaid orders.." mean that if I win an item and do not pay right away Probstein will actually lower my shipping fees?

PROBSTEIN123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!

yes, we reduce shipping on all unpaid orders..the reduced shipping price
depends on the precise variables....once you pay for an order ebay requires us
to ship the item...we allow up to 10 days to combine for reduce shipping...
please wait for us to send an invoice or request an invoice prior to payment...

NJ residents must add 6.62% sales tax.

Probstein123 offers full refunds on returned items.

Thanks for the bids and interest in our auctions.

swarmee 05-13-2019 06:10 AM

My impression is that he means that he will combine shipping on multiple orders, but only if you wait for an invoice. If you pay for each item separately, there are no orders to combine shipping on.

T206Collector 05-13-2019 06:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankrizzo29 (Post 1877187)
I am really confused by these posts, I own and purchased that 9OC donlin in the Fall Goldin auction and still own it. Why are pictures of it being used in this thread?

Theory is that the same card is being sold in an SGC holder on the BST.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268826

http://goldinauctions.com/lot-44829.aspx

frankrizzo29 05-13-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1877209)
Theory is that the same card is being sold in an SGC holder on the BST.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268826

http://goldinauctions.com/lot-44829.aspx

Ok, makes sense. I can assure everyone though that I still own the card in the PSA 9OC holder with no plans of selling it. I was shocked to see pics of my card showing up in the middle of a net54 spat.

calvindog 05-13-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankrizzo29 (Post 1877268)
Ok, makes sense. I can assure everyone though that I still own the card in the PSA 9OC holder with no plans of selling it. I was shocked to see pics of my card showing up in the middle of a net54 spat.

I'm lost. If you still own the PSA 9OC card how can it be for sale in an SGC 86 holder? Unless it's a different card.

Promethius88 05-13-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean1125 (Post 1876755)
Larry, Peter, John, and others--

There are many posts in this thread that are incorrect. Ted is 100% correct.

I am the owner of this 1952 Mickey Mantle.

This card was sold to me within a complete set of '52 Topps cards. When the owner sent the original scan it was in an extremely old PSA holder and he was completely up front that there was something on the card-- he had communicated with Joe Orlando at the time who said it was extra paper stuck to the card, but that decade ago PSA still agreed with the issued grade.

I shared many of the concerns that were in this thread, resulting in me contacting the CEO of CU, Joe Orlando, and President of PSA, Steve Sloan, to have the card reviewed for accuracy. They reviewed the card and disclosed that this is, in fact, extra paper and they agree with the original assessment of the card. At this point, they reholdered the card in the newest light house label and I sent it in to Probstein123 to sell.

I have personally held this card in my hand and spent time scrutinizing the card, the centering, the corners, the registration, and the extra paper on the card. The card is beautifully centered, strong for a 5, and I do hope it sells for a slight premium above other 5's due to its attractive attributes.

I really appreciate all of the community involvement in policing cards, auctions, and grades. I know this behavior comes from a place of love, appreciation, and devotion for the hobby.

That being said, I do not condone the false accusations of paper loss, an inaccurate grade, or any other comments or erroneous 'facts' that are being posted on this thread. These opinions have overstepped a line and crossed to inappropriate, false statements that may damage the sale of my item. I will only ask once that they cease immediately.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Please pardon my French and with all due respect, who gives a sh*t?!!? This is not directed at you Sean, but folks that want to belittle the card and point fingers at TPG's. If you don't agree with the grade on a slab, any slab, bid accordingly. The onus falls on the bidder, not the seller to get as much information as they can before hitting the bid button. If you believe it is actually paper loss, then probably best to look for another example that suits your taste. Doesn't mean that someone else doesn't like the card a lot. We can also slam PSA for not getting a grade right or making a mistake. Thing is, if you are spending that kind of coin on a card, it's probably not the first baseball card you have purchased and I'm guessing you have done a little shopping around and some research. You wouldn't spend $30k+ on a car by just looking at a picture of it and not knowing anything about it. This isn't the 1970's where you order a card sight unseen out of a magazine and hope the seller graded it like you do. Plenty of resources available at our fingertips in this day an age to make informed decisions.
At the end of they day, we are collectors and should collect what we enjoy without being chained to the monetary worth of our collections. Hell, the majority of us are going to pass with a vast amount of our collections intact and our heirs are going to sell it off with little to no knowledge of of the actual cards anyhow.

T206Collector 05-13-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1877272)
I'm lost. If you still own the PSA 9OC card how can it be for sale in an SGC 86 holder? Unless it's a different card.

It's gotta be a different card. The window to get a card bought in last Fall's Goldin auction into a pre-10-point-scale SGC holder may not even exist -- not sure when SGC made the change over.

frankrizzo29 05-13-2019 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1877327)
It's gotta be a different card. The window to get a card bought in last Fall's Goldin auction into a pre-10-point-scale SGC holder may not even exist -- not sure when SGC made the change over.

I'm not sure if I posted the pic correctly, but attached is a "proof of existence " pic. 100% my card is different from the SGC card listed for sale in BST. Again, I bought this in Oct in the goldin auctions, I still own the card, and it is not for sale.

Peter_Spaeth 05-13-2019 04:53 PM

Just two cards with similar centering. Not exactly an earthshaking event. :eek:

And back to the subject of the thread, no explanation added yet by Rick as to the spot.

ullmandds 05-13-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankrizzo29 (Post 1877345)
I'm not sure if I posted the pic correctly, but attached is a "proof of existence " pic. 100% my card is different from the SGC card listed for sale in BST. Again, I bought this in Oct in the goldin auctions, I still own the card, and it is not for sale.

What? No proof of existence sticker?

calvindog 05-13-2019 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_spaeth (Post 1877363)
just two cards with similar centering. Not exactly an earthshaking event. :eek:

And back to the subject of the thread, no explanation added yet by rick as to the spot.

Backs are centered the same too.

Attachment 352869

irv 05-13-2019 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1877384)
Backs are centered the same too.

Attachment 352869

Certainly looks like the exact same card but it looks like we are being fooled as both have to be, based on their respective slabs, different from one another.

Here's a straightened image.

CuriousGeorge 05-13-2019 06:31 PM

I’m not accusing anyone of anything (even though it seems a tad far fetched that someone with 6 lifetime posts just happened to be trolling the board and saw his card — and then without provocation that the card was not for sale), but if someone wanted to they could easily put the page with the date on top of the picture of the card and create a new picture making it appear as if it was recently done. Just sayin’.

Republicaninmass 05-13-2019 06:35 PM

Hey it was just a shot in the dark. Member says show him an OC or MC card in a new holder, and I picked it out if the air. Might not be the same, but argument was that it's fine to swap out mc or oc and not disclose.

Btw after this card first appeared, 6 months later the 8.5 popped up

JollyElm 05-13-2019 07:40 PM

Frank, can you please post an actual scan (not a photograph) of the card, so it's lying flat? The larger the file the better. Thanks.

Hxcmilkshake 05-13-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Promethius88 (Post 1877305)
Please pardon my French and with all due respect, who gives a sh*t?!!? This is not directed at you Sean, but folks that want to belittle the card and point fingers at TPG's. If you don't agree with the grade on a slab, any slab, bid accordingly. The onus falls on the bidder, not the seller to get as much information as they can before hitting the bid button. If you believe it is actually paper loss, then probably best to look for another example that suits your taste. Doesn't mean that someone else doesn't like the card a lot. We can also slam PSA for not getting a grade right or making a mistake. Thing is, if you are spending that kind of coin on a card, it's probably not the first baseball card you have purchased and I'm guessing you have done a little shopping around and some research. You wouldn't spend $30k+ on a car by just looking at a picture of it and not knowing anything about it. This isn't the 1970's where you order a card sight unseen out of a magazine and hope the seller graded it like you do. Plenty of resources available at our fingertips in this day an age to make informed decisions.

At the end of they day, we are collectors and should collect what we enjoy without being chained to the monetary worth of our collections. Hell, the majority of us are going to pass with a vast amount of our collections intact and our heirs are going to sell it off with little to no knowledge of of the actual cards anyhow.

Uh, duh, that's all we were doing....pointing out the description which was lacking and even had drivel like "looks nicer" .just a chuckle that's all. I hope Sean makes a fortune on it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

frankrizzo29 05-13-2019 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1877461)
Frank, can you please post an actual scan (not a photograph) of the card, so it's lying flat? The larger the file the better. Thanks.

Here's a scan with it lying flat. It's at 600dpi which is the best I can do with the scanner i have.

frankrizzo29 05-13-2019 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1877461)

Here's the back of it....

calvindog 05-13-2019 08:07 PM

Nice scanner!

1952boyntoncollector 05-14-2019 11:49 AM

Wheres the proof of existence with the scanned card.. Yeah we want that too and what your astrology sign is...

I think when i go to the post office and seeing the younger attractive girls there in line, they way they look through me or over me i need a proof of existence to show them as ell.

Stampsfan 05-14-2019 01:53 PM

Back to the Mantle...

I think the solution is to put a purple sticker over the "white spot", thus increasing the value on two fronts.
1. The spot cannot be seen
2. A purple sticker makes a card worth more

ctownboy 05-14-2019 04:08 PM

Stampsfan,

Would doing that make it so that it can be called the Hickey Mantle?

David

Fuddjcal 05-14-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seablaster (Post 1876740)
What did they tell him it was?

Conservation

Fuddjcal 05-14-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean1125 (Post 1876755)
Larry, Peter, John, and others--

There are many posts in this thread that are incorrect. Ted is 100% correct.

I am the owner of this 1952 Mickey Mantle.

This card was sold to me within a complete set of '52 Topps cards. When the owner sent the original scan it was in an extremely old PSA holder and he was completely up front that there was something on the card-- he had communicated with Joe Orlando at the time who said it was extra paper stuck to the card, but that decade ago PSA still agreed with the issued grade.

I shared many of the concerns that were in this thread, resulting in me contacting the CEO of CU, Joe Orlando, and President of PSA, Steve Sloan, to have the card reviewed for accuracy. They reviewed the card and disclosed that this is, in fact, extra paper and they agree with the original assessment of the card. At this point, they reholdered the card in the newest light house label and I sent it in to Probstein123 to sell.

I have personally held this card in my hand and spent time scrutinizing the card, the centering, the corners, the registration, and the extra paper on the card. The card is beautifully centered, strong for a 5, and I do hope it sells for a slight premium above other 5's due to its attractive attributes.

I really appreciate all of the community involvement in policing cards, auctions, and grades. I know this behavior comes from a place of love, appreciation, and devotion for the hobby.

That being said, I do not condone the false accusations of paper loss, an inaccurate grade, or any other comments or erroneous 'facts' that are being posted on this thread. These opinions have overstepped a line and crossed to inappropriate, false statements that may damage the sale of my item. I will only ask once that they cease immediately.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Very nice, Thanks! Good Luck with it!

sflayank 05-14-2019 07:27 PM

Mantle

Obviously the hobby has reached the stage where noone cares....I can see clear as day the paper stuck to the card
Which would automatically drop the grade
I can see with 100% certainty there is paper missing to the left of the yankee logo..I can see with 100% certainty there is writing on the back of the card and I can see with 100% certainty brown staining on the bottom front
The card should grade a 1...I hope Sean makes a ton.....but let's be honest the card is a 1 by definition....
Just the fact that he gave the card to probstein I stead of an auction house tells me alot