Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT: Will the NL adopt the DH soon? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=265583)

Peter_Spaeth 02-12-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1853876)
If I were a GM, I do not want my pitcher swinging a bat and running the bases. I am paying him handsomely to pitch, not bat.

I don't want him risking an errant slide, or twisting an ankle hitting the base wrong, getting hit on the elbow or forearm or hand by a pitch that got away.

The risk is too great for injury. I want to protect my guy.

And Mad Bum ( regard as a good hitting pitcher ) does not help his team at the plate, nor is he a good batter. He hits less than .200 career. I don't want him to be a good batter or need for him to be a good batter. I want him working on pitching. I need for him to be an ace on the mound. Which he is. As a reminder, his arm won the 2014 WS, not his bat prowess.

You could make the same argument about a weak hitting defensive wizard shortstop. IMO it's baseball, having to hit (and in the case of a DH, field a position) come with the territory.

packs 02-12-2019 07:09 AM

I just can't understand MLB's perspective on the speed of play. If someone doesn't like baseball, are they suddenly going to love it because the game ends 20 minutes sooner? How does that make any sense?

Conversely, if you love baseball are you really that upset you get to watch more of it? Bring back Sunday double headers. I'll watch all you've got.

If all you're thinking about is going home while you're at the ballpark, what are you doing there?

Peter_Spaeth 02-12-2019 07:26 AM

When it's to the point where you could run commercials between pitches, IMO it's too slow.

frankbmd 02-12-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1853946)
I just can't understand MLB's perspective on the speed of play. If someone doesn't like baseball, are they suddenly going to love it because the game ends 20 minutes sooner? How does that make any sense?

Conversely, if you love baseball are you really that upset you get to watch more of it? Bring back Sunday double headers. I'll watch all you've got.

If all you're thinking about is going home while you're at the ballpark, what are you doing there?

Try cricket

packs 02-12-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1853954)
When it's to the point where you could run commercials between pitches, IMO it's too slow.

I think that could be solved without technology. The umpires are there to manage the game. They should be free to speak to pitchers and have an impact over game play without some absurd clock.

itslarry 02-12-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1853946)

I think it has more to with ratings dropping during the later part of long games and tv broadcasters not liking that.
Diehard fans are going to watch either way, it's everyone else they want to capture. It's like the Superbowl halftime show. Most football fans have no urge to see these pop acts, but they are there to bring in the more casual observer. Serious fans will watch regardless.
That's just my take on it. I haven't bothered looking up rating numbers that specifically in a while.

In topic: I like the nl and al being different.

Peter_Spaeth 02-12-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1853968)
I think that could be solved without technology. The umpires are there to manage the game. They should be free to speak to pitchers and have an impact over game play without some absurd clock.

Fine with me if the result can be achieved.