Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   LOTG Wins - What did you get? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237759)

sterlingfox 04-04-2017 07:50 AM

I believe that PWCC auctions tend to finish higher than auctions from other sellers. I gauge "market" value as what a card of similar quality (not necessarily the same numerical grade from the same grading company) goes for across all platforms (eBay, AH's, B/S/T, etc) within the past 6 to 12 months at most. Yes, there will be exceptions to this. There have been significant run ups on certain players recently (Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, etc) where a sale from 12 months ago will be meaningless. If a card sells above current market, then it's very possible that it's market value has adjusted upwards. However, it's also possible that it sold high this time (possibly due to 2 or 3 buyers battling it out), and will sell at, or even below, market next time because 1 of the buyers has now acquired the card. Buying it "above market" runs a slight risk if it's the "battling it out" scenario, and I tend to shy away from such risks. If it's a player/card that I badly want, then I'm usually willing to go a bit above market, but not much. There are lots of fantastic, high quality cards out there that are available at public auction, so I choose to not be one of those "battlers", and wait patiently for cards to sell at or below market. I did still win 6 lots in LOTG, and I also won a modest Ruth (below market!) in another recent auction, so I'm confident I'll get more with time and patience. It might take me longer, but I'm in no hurry :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1647451)
I generally agree with this. However, the issues for us collectors is that I suspect in most cases there are relatively few people batting it out for the expensive stuff. Take the beautiful red Gehrig which I didn't win. At the end of the auction there may have been 3 people, including me, pushing that up. What happens when those 3 people get one? The demand could get significantly weaker. Demand is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. Well the universe of willing buyers is likely pretty small for some specialized stuff.

1952boyntoncollector 04-04-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1647450)
I know this has been debated before, and many will disagree with me, but I tend to believe the winning price in a well-publicized, fairly run auction IS the current market price for a new card. It's when you buy from a dealer who sources his inventory from auctions like these when you tend to pay above market. (Which I've done many times when I really wanted a card.)

I agree, if its sooo easy to sell with pwcc and get above market prices why not just buy at 'market' and sell with pwcc. Its not that easy. I am talking about legit buyers and sellers.. The market is the market.

Snapolit1 04-04-2017 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1647464)
I agree, if its sooo easy to sell with pwcc and get above market prices why not just buy at 'market' and sell with pwcc. Its not that easy. I am talking about legit buyers and sellers.. The market is the market.

I sold about 25 items with PWCC and would say 23 of them came in below the most recent sale reported on VCP. It isn't that easy.

Exhibitman 04-04-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1647451)
Take the beautiful red Gehrig which I didn't win. At the end of the auction there may have been 3 people, including me, pushing that up. What happens when those 3 people get one?

Given the # of times this variation comes to market the underbidders could wait for years to find another offering.

Snapolit1 04-04-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1647485)
Given the # of times this variation comes to market the underbidders could wait for years to find another offering.

Not what I wanted to here . . .damm.

sterlingfox 04-04-2017 10:27 AM

It seems like the plain background 25-31 Exhibits have shot up quite a bit. They seem to carry a higher premium than the other short prints (blank backs, ESCO coupon corners, "correspondence" reverse)

glchen 04-04-2017 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1647485)

The price for that red Gehrig is not coming down. I didn't even bid on that one because there was just too much other stuff, and a huge amount of things in REA coming up that I am interested in. I have one plain Gehrig (below) that I purchased for $500 in 2013, and it is in rough condition. I'd love to get a nicer looking plain Gehrig some day in a different color variation.

quitcrab 04-04-2017 03:21 PM

Got a couple Clemente bazooka panels and a Clemente 68 Topps full action sticker.

drmondobueno 04-04-2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quitcrab (Post 1647579)
Got a couple Clemente bazooka panels and a Clemente 68 Topps full action sticker.

Ahh, you got me, Congrats.

Can't stay awake past eleven these days but did manage a nice Wheaties Clemente.

blackandgold 04-05-2017 05:31 AM

I got the two Dexter Press Clemente's.

rats60 04-05-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quitcrab (Post 1647579)

I may have been the underbidder on those bazooka. I bought several Clemente lots, but quit bidding on some of the panels when I went over my spending limit. First auction that I won more than I lost. I thought most of the prices were very reasonable.

whiteymet 04-05-2017 10:43 AM

Won the lot of Exhibits with different backs

Hi Gang:

I won this lot of Exhibits with the different printed and stamped backs:

https://loveofthegameauctions.com/Lo...entoryid=12674

Some of these will be available, please PM me if interested.

Anyone here win the Mantle postcard back that went for $2800+?

https://loveofthegameauctions.com/Lo...entoryid=12677

I have the harder to find postcard back with A MUTOSCOPE CARD back if you want to have "matching bookends"!

Fred

Eggoman 04-05-2017 01:37 PM

I got the Tharp's Speaker (Thanks, Val!!) and a 4-card lot of W572s that included Speaker.

I will be letting the W572s of Collins, Hoyt, and Wheat go. If anyone has interest, please PM me.

shagrotn77 04-05-2017 08:14 PM

Anyone here win the '25 Exhibits near-set or '31/'32 Exhibits set?

Section103 04-05-2017 09:48 PM

Specifically interested in the Emory Rigneys from the 23-24, 1925, and 1926 Exhibits sets (player collector). If anyone won any of these sets and is interested in selling a small number for a handsome price, please pm or email me.

tbob 04-06-2017 02:48 PM

I'm afraid Jason and I are bidding against each other on the T210s but I managed to snare about 10 Series 6 cards and 3 orange borders from Series 3 along with several 1918 Red Border Zeenuts which went surprisingly cheap.

Jason 04-06-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbob (Post 1648270)
I'm afraid Jason and I are bidding against each other on the T210s but I managed to snare about 10 Series 6 cards and 3 orange borders from Series 3 along with several 1918 Red Border Zeenuts which went surprisingly cheap.

Pleasure to bid against you TBob:D We will have to compare hauls here soon!

Zact 04-06-2017 05:17 PM

I won 10 Clemente items for my registry set including transogram bazooka singles post cereal, cloth sticker and o pee chee etc

Leon 04-07-2017 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A later Ruth Exhibit...

wondo 04-07-2017 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm getting into these T202s!

wondo 04-07-2017 08:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm getting into these T202s!