Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1954 Topps Aaron RC versus 1955 Topps Clemente RC (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224209)

Peter_Spaeth 06-23-2016 11:58 AM

It's pretty stunning to think that in my lifetime, below a certain latitude, a person might not be served, or permitted to stay in a hotel, because of their skin color. As late as 1980, I remember stopping at a rural Virginia restaurant after a hiking trip up in the mountains and the place was full of signs making it absolutely clear that blacks were not welcome and that it was only because of Congress and the Supreme Court that the owners were legally required to serve them.

So I agree we need to be pretty careful how we judge people who experienced those things. And I am not saying two wrongs make a right or anything like that.

Rookiemonster 06-23-2016 12:36 PM

Funny I just went through Virginia on a family road trip.the had a gigantic confederate flag flying.

To me if you experienced it and still do it to someone else or a entire group. It multiples it and shows utter disregard .so now Aaron can make death threats to people just because he received
Some.

vintagetoppsguy 06-23-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1554031)
So I agree we need to be pretty careful how we judge people who experienced those things.

Let's be honest with ourselves what this is about, Peter. It is not a race thing, it is not a black or white thing. It's one political party vilifying another because of their criticism of the president. The same comments have been made by others who are white - Janeane Garofalo, Keith Olberman, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Chris Matthews, and the list just goes on and on. What do all those folks have in common? They political views all lean a certain direction. That's why I said in my original post, it's not a race thing (the same thing is said by both black and white people) its about politics. Again, I don't find Aaron a racist, he's just a dumbass. I didn't mean to make this a political issue, I'm just responding to the comments in post #25.

Peter_Spaeth 06-23-2016 01:03 PM

David, I agree, unfortunately our politics are incredibly divisive these days, and seemingly getting even worse. I imagine that for most people, whichever way they lean, it's a terrible disappointment. But the politicians don't, for the most part, get the message.

Leon 06-23-2016 01:19 PM

We won't get political (please) but on a non partisan observation, from what I have seen in the polls the large majority of Americans think neither of the presumptive nominees are anything to write home about, at best. It does suck for America imo....

stargell1 06-23-2016 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1554030)
I get that aaron had it hard but he is a American .imagine how hard clemente must of had it .I'm sure he got it pretty bad as well . I don't remember ever hearing about him getting racist with people .nothing gives you the right to be racist . TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT.

I agree with everything you said except for Aaron had it hard. I wouldn't call being blessed with the ability to get rich and famous playing a game for a living..hard.

Peter_Spaeth 06-23-2016 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargell1 (Post 1554197)
I agree with everything you said except for Aaron had it hard. I wouldn't call being blessed with the ability to get rich and famous playing a game for a living..hard.

You should have quit while you were behind. I suggest you do some reading about his life. Having the ability to play baseball did not insulate him from bigotry. For example, how many crosses did the Klan burn in your front yard? How many death threats have you received?

stargell1 06-23-2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1554209)
You should have quit while you were behind. I suggest you do some reading about his life. Having the ability to play baseball did not insulate him from bigotry. For example, how many crosses did the Klan burn in your front yard? How many death threats have you received?

If I was able to be rich by not having to work and be famous, I wouldn't give a damn how many death threats I received.

That's like saying ' I want to be President of the U.S. but I don't want to wear a tie and receive all the hate mail. lol

Quit making excuses for ignorance. Hate is Hate!!

Vintagevault13 06-24-2016 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargell1 (Post 1554216)
If I was able to be rich by not having to work and be famous, I wouldn't give a damn how many death threats I received.

That's like saying ' I want to be President of the U.S. but I don't want to wear a tie and receive all the hate mail. lol

Quit making excuses for ignorance. Hate is Hate!!

I would hate to think that the amount of money one has would ever cause a person to not worry about death threats against themself or family members. That is basically saying that money is the most important thing. I would lose respect for a person putting money ahead of family much more quickly than for making the comments that Aaron said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ullmandds 06-24-2016 05:39 AM

wow...lots of ignorance being spewn here lately.

Peter_Spaeth 06-24-2016 06:21 AM

And Richard Cory one calm summer night
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

ALR-bishop 06-24-2016 07:30 AM

Roger just seems to be looking for an argument on this subject. Ignore him until he has some worthwhile input on cards here or pre war

Roger-- tell us what you collect. This is not meant to be sarcastic. Let's find some common ground

stargell1 06-24-2016 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1554253)
wow...lots of ignorance being spewn here lately.

Its called 'white guilt.'

Stonepony 06-24-2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1554262)
And Richard Cory one calm summer night
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

My dad introduced me to that poem when I was very young. I have no idea why.

Peter_Spaeth 06-24-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1554491)
My dad introduced me to that poem when I was very young. I have no idea why.

Perhaps to teach you that money doesn't buy happiness or peace of mind? It's one of the more eloquent statements of that truth.

HRBAKER 06-24-2016 05:07 PM

Lots of talented mind readers here.

HRBAKER 06-24-2016 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1553229)
Aaron has a negative 4.8 defensive WAR. Aaron and Mays are not very pleasant people. I think that really hurts the value of their cards.

That's an interesting take.

toppcat 06-25-2016 02:53 PM

I agree that a player being a dick can hurt card values.

toppcat 06-25-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1554065)
We won't get political (please) but on a non partisan observation, from what I have seen in the polls the large majority of Americans think neither of the presumptive nominees are anything to write home about, at best. It does suck for America imo....

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps7yfjl47y.jpg

HRBAKER 06-25-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toppcat (Post 1554780)
I agree that a player being a dick can hurt card values.

I agree, I was referencing the WAR portion of the post. Doubt a whole lot the card buyers have a clue what the player's WAR is. Could be wrong.

I think it was referenced in an earlier post about the "iconic" nature of Clemente as opposed to Aaron. I also think the "Dying Young" portion of the equation cannot be overlooked as a major contributor to the value. It's the same thing that makes James Dean regarded as a better actor than he was and Kennedy as a President as well.

Peter_Spaeth 06-25-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1554795)
I agree, I was referencing the WAR portion of the post. Doubt a whole lot the card buyers have a clue what the player's WAR is. Could be wrong.

I think it was referenced in an earlier post about the "iconic" nature of Clemente as opposed to Aaron. I also think the "Dying Young" portion of the equation cannot be overlooked as a major contributor to the value. It's the same thing that makes James Dean regarded as a better actor than he was and Kennedy as a President as well.

I agree. It definitely resonates in the American psyche. "The time you won your town the race...."