Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What is a T206 Wet Sheet Transfer??? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=139714)

Ladder7 07-27-2011 11:02 AM

Yea Steve B,

Johnny mrvster was upset because I stole his girlfriend, crashed his car or kicked his cat... No, umm it was because I wouldnt sell him a baseball card. Knew it was something big. :p

brianp-beme 07-27-2011 01:31 PM

Bleedin' through

I have seen quite a few 1933 Goudeys like the one Iggy shows in a prior post...always in red. Is it possible they are 'bleed throughs' instead of wet sheet transfers? Perhaps the red ink used permeated the cards more successfully than the other colors used. I also have a 33 Goudey of High that looks exactly the same.

Brian

mrvster 07-27-2011 01:59 PM

T206 wet sheets

STEVE B!!
YOU ARE NEEDED !! WE NEED YOU EXPERTISE!! i would never call you out....Steve (ladder), you know popa wants Gilbert, i just feel like i have been teased to much with it:mad: i feel as if i was led to the bedroom, then kicked out the window;) i have tried to negotiate, but your just jerking everyones chain....

why didn't u relist the card, with a better scan, and let the market determine the value???if ebay dumped it, why didn't you change the discription???? why didn't you relist it....????HMMMMMMMMMMM

DID U DECIDE TO KEEP IT???
you might as well at this point...

selling a multiple 1000 card , why was your listing so cheesey??

btw ladder, i am poor, i don't like pets...my girlfriend left me, and i walk to work:rolleyes:

STEVE B:

not u at all w you, we need your expetise!!thanx for the chance comment, it's one of my favorite cards......there are "transfers" that happened undoubtably after production(signs will be there like some of the ones posted, "burnt border", "blurry , "askew transfers" you can tell which s which even by scans...the tougher ones need to be observed in person....you can tell in person , it is a card, by card basis....bleed throughs never occured!! inmo....

i eat and crap these freaks.....after a while, you can pick a needle out of a haystack....:)

Anthony S , u rock!!:)

Jamie B- .....i have seen the name transfer very rarely....always thoght the name/team des. was printed last....your card is interesting....looks good from scan, have 2 see it in person....

Respectfully,

John Vanderbeck:)

Ladder7 07-27-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvster (Post 912352)
*snip* why didn't u relist the card, with a better scan, and let the market determine the value???if ebay dumped it, why didn't you change the discription???? why didn't you relist it....????

sadism me thinks

mrvster 07-27-2011 03:08 PM

STEVE(ladder)

YOUR A MADMAN!!

stop toying with my emmotions:mad:

mrvster 07-27-2011 03:10 PM

Mr. Gilbert

I have a nice lot of 10 commons for trade??????:D

steve B 07-27-2011 06:32 PM

Not to worry, we're all good.

there are few things that get me realy mad, and we don't talk about them here:)

Bleed through isn't something I've considered. The inks used are actually very thick. Think more like colored grease instead of ink like you'd get from a pen. Additionally, the image side of most papers used is coated with a substance that keeps the ink on the surface. Usually white, it also makes the colors brighter.

Steve B

Abravefan11 07-27-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 912248)
And I'll show you a real puzzler. I think the price is a bit high, but this Cobb has a red transfer from something. The odd thing is I've looked through the gallery and can't find a T206 that matches the red shadow. Scrap? Transfer from some other set? transfer from an unlisted card?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Steve B

Hi Steve - Am I missing something on this Cobb? The only differences in the red on the card appear to be caused by the plastic the Cobb was scanned in. The areas where the plastic is setting well off the card look faded or milky and areas where the plastic is flush with the card the color is bolder. The same effects can be seen on the reverse and on the blue background outside the card. Again I could be missing what you're seeing entirely.

atx840 07-27-2011 10:29 PM

I passed on a card I shouldn't have :(

Enjoy it!

teetwoohsix 07-27-2011 10:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Johnny- that Chance is sick !!!!!! Love that card !!

Lots of great information here in this thread but the origins of the transfers still seem to be unclear to me. Iggy's dead sea scroll SC transfer can be explained by the glue (possibly?).

But then you have the "humid" factor.....which doesn't seem to be too convincing to me because of the "soaking" factor......not saying anything is wrong or right, just trying to come to some conclusions here.

Either way, it seems that we see it mostly with the colors black and red.

I love the discussion though, great subject !!!!

teetwoohsix 07-27-2011 10:59 PM

Red Ink

2 Attachment(s)
One more.......

T206Collector 07-28-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunder19 (Post 912225)
has anyone seen a transfer like this? With the name making it onto the back? I have never seen one of these before this card... wondering if there are others out there...

Yes. I had a Schreck with Hayden's name on the bottom of the back. Tried to sell it for a premium, but never got a taker, so I just sold it at a standard price.

tedzan 07-28-2011 06:46 AM

Clayton

That SOVEREIGN 460 is a tough card of Chase. And, the EL PRINCIPE de GALE overprint is a really cool wet sheet transfer.

Thanks for sharing this card with us.

TED Z

iggyman 07-28-2011 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not to take anything away from these posts, but since I didn't want to start a new thread..................Did most of you notice this ebay T206 Gabby Street??? Two young ebayers seemed to really want it. Yikes! My snipe was blown out of the water.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160623760633

Attachment 43161

Lovely Day...

steve B 07-28-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abravefan11 (Post 912463)
Hi Steve - Am I missing something on this Cobb? The only differences in the red on the card appear to be caused by the plastic the Cobb was scanned in. The areas where the plastic is setting well off the card look faded or milky and areas where the plastic is flush with the card the color is bolder. The same effects can be seen on the reverse and on the blue background outside the card. Again I could be missing what you're seeing entirely.

If you look at the border of the front most of the top border and the side border to about 1/4 of the way down from the top have a light shading of red. the place where it ends at the left of the top border lines up with a darker area that extends most of the way down the card. I'd thought it was the plastic for a bit, but the light red in the border didn't make sense if it was just that. Of course, the dark area extends farther, so maybe it's a shade of the Cobb background that I'm not seeing properly because of distortion from the plastic? Puzzling, but too expensive for me to satisfy my curiosity.

Steve B
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...pictureid=4155 http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...pictureid=4156

atx840 07-28-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggyman (Post 912502)
Not to take anything away from these posts, but since I didn't want to start a new thread..................Did most of you notice this ebay T206 Gabby Street??? Two young ebayers seemed to really want it. Yikes! My snipe was blown out of the water.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160623760633

Attachment 43161

Lovely Day...

Ditto but I dont think they are that young :)

Ladder7 07-28-2011 08:25 AM

Steve B, I greatly admire your printing knowledge. But, I think you've missed the boat on the red cobby., I'm seeing some sorta reflection in that low quality shot. Ya know, If Im not mistaken. That same seller had sold John a tea kettle sometime ago... I hear he'd quickly changed back to being a coffee drinker.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/...9645a2175d.jpg

teetwoohsix 07-28-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 912497)
That SOVEREIGN 460 is a tough card of Chase. And, the EL PRINCIPE de GALE overprint is a really cool wet sheet transfer.

Thanks for sharing this card with us.

TED Z

Thanks Ted Z.

I know this is a pretty tough front/back combination, and feel pretty lucky to have it.

Sincerely, Clayton

steve B 07-28-2011 01:19 PM

Yeah, the picture on the Cobb isn't very helpful. I've seen a few others that have shading from the plastic, but none with any color in the borders. Could be a reflection from the flash at an angle? Odd visual effect if the color isn't there. Either way, I'm sure it'll be in the BIN museum for a while longer.

Not quite as bad as the teapot though..... That pic has been around for years. Two things come to mind seeing it again.
1)Thankfully it was taken before better digital cameras became common.:)
2)It's never anyone good looking making a mistake like that:(

SteveB

Ladder7 07-28-2011 01:44 PM

Due to the convexity of the steel, he only appears to be a fat slob.

npa589 07-28-2011 04:52 PM

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm cracking a rib here...

Hilarious...

Jaybird 07-28-2011 09:30 PM

another Tolstoi

Here's another Tolstoi wet transfer.
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/...0-1920/IMG.jpg

atx840 07-29-2011 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Most expensive WST, It is offset and I am doubting the owner had several stacked on top of each other in a humid environment for this to happen.

Thoughts?

Abravefan11 07-29-2011 12:17 PM

I doubt the owner of those Cobb's would have given them any special consideration 100 years ago and they would have been stacked and stored just like all their other cards.

And it also appears that the Cobb that was pressed against it either had a little left behind or took a little of the other Cobb with it when they were separated.

brianp-beme 07-30-2011 08:40 AM

I'll take mine with maple syrup

One of the major auction houses (REA, Mastro?) about a decade ago had a ridiculous slew (somewhere between 5 and 8) of the T206 Cobb w/Cobb backs in a single auction from a 'find'. I guess the consigner of them could have had some pancake stacking going on, and lived in 90% humidity land.

Brian

Brian Weisner 07-30-2011 09:27 AM

Hi Brian,
REA sold 5 of the cards at auction in 1997.... The cards were found in a book in GA, but none have the markings of the card above....

Be well Brian

cfc1909 07-30-2011 10:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 43240

Attachment 43241

brooklynbotter 11-04-2023 07:45 AM

Tolstoi WST?

Reviving this thread from 2011 because of a tolstoi Wheat I recently picked up. From what I gathered, this would be considered a WST, but due to the black ink it's nothing notable and would not add a premium? Just wondering what this would be considered, thanks

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...445&height=594

Leon 11-05-2023 02:40 PM

Others know more but, I think you probably got it. Some black ink transfer and probably doesn't sway the value, on that card, too much. I guess, if anything, it might detract a little because of the ink. It's an aesthetics issue..Not a big deal. And I guess some collectors might pay more for it, who knows?

(and way to revive a 12+ yrs old thread :))

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklynbotter (Post 2385921)
Reviving this thread from 2011 because of a tolstoi Wheat I recently picked up. From what I gathered, this would be considered a WST, but due to the black ink it's nothing notable and would not add a premium? Just wondering what this would be considered, thanks

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...445&height=594

GoCalBears 11-07-2023 04:30 PM

glad this thread was revived as i hadn't seen it before. i currently own the Orval card in the first post - i'm a die-hard Orval collector so i collect any oddball items like this for OO. great knowledge in this thread!