Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Time Machine To 5 Events in Baseball History (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=344808)

jethrod3 01-08-2024 07:09 PM

Great thread! Here's mine:

1) Closest seat to the batter's box to watch Ruth's called shot in the '32 World series
2) Larsen's perfect game
3) Vander Meer's 2nd no-hitter
4) 1975 World Series game 6 which made me a Reds fan
5) Any Ted Williams home run game (fave player that I never saw play live)

Runner up: If you could get me to the closest point where he made "the catch" then it would be the 1954 Mays World Series catch

drumback 01-08-2024 08:00 PM

That 1975 WS game 6 was incredible!

FrankWakefield 01-08-2024 08:29 PM

Doug, post #25 had you asking about the photo in post #14.

My grandfather, Mathew Wakefield, was born in 1880. I have a handful of memories of him, he passed when I was 6 or so. I recall that at my Aunt's house, in an upstairs bedroom, was my grandfather. On his dresser was that picture. I think he was showing me a pocket watch or pocketknife, and I recall that photo. Later, I remember wondering about it. New York on the jersey, NY on the hat. Had to be the Yankees. It being the Giants was inconceivable to my peanut kid brain, I knew the Giants were in San Francisco. As a pre-teenager, I figured out who Dusty Rhodes was, and the picture was on my little desk in my room. By college days I realized that in the 1954 World Series Dusty Rhodes went 4 for 6, with 7 RBIs and 2 home runs.

And before grad school I am aware that he did that in 3 games, the lore being that he'd celebrated so much after game 3 that he was unlikely to be called upon to bat, but I now doubt that.

Dusty didn't start any of those games. His first HR was down the right field line, much less than 300 feet. Some of the Media considered it a cheap home run. The Media had less to say about that after his HR in game 2 was out to center field, way more than 400', out there where Willie had made The Catch the day before.

Daddy Wake, as I knew him, had been a farmer, in western Kentucky. He had some renown in being able to raise a good tobacco crop, and being skilled in treating tobacco for the various disease and insect problems. In later years he ran a newstand in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. That was the home of the Hopkinsville Hoppers, of the class D Kitty League. Dusty started professional play there in 1947, with the Hoppers, hitting .326 and slugging .474, in 125 games. Here's a link to his bio:

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/Dusty-Rhodes/

So... that picture is the image used on the 1955 Topps cards of Dusty Rhodes, card #1. NY fans loved him because he ran hard to first, and could reach the short outfield wall in right, down there by the foul pole.

I decided to try and make copies of the photo, and that's when I learned it's not a photo. It's a PMT. Photo Mechanical Transfer. It was a bunch of dots. I eventually got several copies made.

I'm thinking either Daddy Wake knew Dusty from that 1947 season, or maybe Dusty made his way through Hopkinsville, KY and Nashville, TN (he played there in 1952, before going up to the Giants in July) on some sort of a dinner speaking circuit, or maybe as a salesman for one of the Distilleries in that fine state that provides fine bourbon for sensible folk.

In the early 2000's I wrote Dusty, he lived in Redbud, CA at the time, I sent him several of my reprints (that had no trace of the writing), and a copy of my original. I asked him to sign 2 of them and mail them back in the SASE I'd sent, and suggested he keep the others for himself. And I asked some questions. He sent the photos back, asked me a few questions, didn't recall Daddy Wake, and answered my questions.

The only other time I've seen one of these it was offered in one of the best auctions going, Scott Brockelman's. I bid enough that I got it.

That SABR bio is a brief, interesting article, even if you hate the Giants.
And look at retrosheet.org for the play by play. I wrote those guys, asking questions and for signed index cards (which is sent, with SASE's), most signed. Sadly, I wrote Don Liddle just after he had passed, my recollection is that his wife sent me a photo that he'd signed. Marv Grissom signed and answered questions. I think it was he that told me... Don Liddle came into that first game to relieve Maglie after the first two reached. Liddle pitched to Wertz, who hit that ball 460' feet to center, leading to The Catch. Durocher had seen all that he wanted from Liddle, and sent me it. As I get to the mound and get the ball, Don turns to me and said "I got my man, you get yours."

FrankWakefield 01-08-2024 08:29 PM

ValKehl 01-08-2024 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a most interesting thread! My choices, in chronological order:

(1) Any 1888 or 1889 home game won by the Washington Nationals in which both "Dummy" Hoy and Connie Mack played the entire game. Hopefully, I would get their signatures on N172 Old Judge cards after the game.

(2) 1924 World Series, Washington's only WS Championship - hopefully seated next to Hank T. & George T.

(3) 1925 World Series, Game 3 in which Sam Rice made his famous, disputed catch as he tumbeled over the short right field wall into the temporary stands - hopefully seated next to Hank T. & George T.

(4) July 30, 1962, the second 1962 All-Star game (at Wrigley Field) in which Pete Runnels (my favorite Senator when I was a kid and winner of the 1962 AL batting title) hit a pinch-hit home run (Runnels was not a power hitter).

(5) April 8, 1974, at Atlanta when Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run to pass Babe Ruth.

Yoda 01-09-2024 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2403227)
Doug, post #25 had you asking about the photo in post #14.

My grandfather, Mathew Wakefield, was born in 1880. I have a handful of memories of him, he passed when I was 6 or so. I recall that at my Aunt's house, in an upstairs bedroom, was my grandfather. On his dresser was that picture. I think he was showing me a pocket watch or pocketknife, and I recall that photo. Later, I remember wondering about it. New York on the jersey, NY on the hat. Had to be the Yankees. It being the Giants was inconceivable to my peanut kid brain, I knew the Giants were in San Francisco. As a pre-teenager, I figured out who Dusty Rhodes was, and the picture was on my little desk in my room. By college days I realized that in the 1954 World Series Dusty Rhodes went 4 for 6, with 7 RBIs and 2 home runs.

And before grad school I am aware that he did that in 3 games, the lore being that he'd celebrated so much after game 3 that he was unlikely to be called upon to bat, but I now doubt that.

Dusty didn't start any of those games. His first HR was down the right field line, much less than 300 feet. Some of the Media considered it a cheap home run. The Media had less to say about that after his HR in game 2 was out to center field, way more than 400', out there where Willie had made The Catch the day before.

Daddy Wake, as I knew him, had been a farmer, in western Kentucky. He had some renown in being able to raise a good tobacco crop, and being skilled in treating tobacco for the various disease and insect problems. In later years he ran a newstand in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. That was the home of the Hopkinsville Hoppers, of the class D Kitty League. Dusty started professional play there in 1947, with the Hoppers, hitting .326 and slugging .474, in 125 games. Here's a link to his bio:
Dusty's famous 'Chinese Home Run' in game 1 of the '54 Series. Doubt anybody would call it that today.
https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/Dusty-Rhodes/

So... that picture is the image used on the 1955 Topps cards of Dusty Rhodes, card #1. NY fans loved him because he ran hard to first, and could reach the short outfield wall in right, down there by the foul pole.

I decided to try and make copies of the photo, and that's when I learned it's not a photo. It's a PMT. Photo Mechanical Transfer. It was a bunch of dots. I eventually got several copies made.

I'm thinking either Daddy Wake knew Dusty from that 1947 season, or maybe Dusty made his way through Hopkinsville, KY and Nashville, TN (he played there in 1952, before going up to the Giants in July) on some sort of a dinner speaking circuit, or maybe as a salesman for one of the Distilleries in that fine state that provides fine bourbon for sensible folk.

In the early 2000's I wrote Dusty, he lived in Redbud, CA at the time, I sent him several of my reprints (that had no trace of the writing), and a copy of my original. I asked him to sign 2 of them and mail them back in the SASE I'd sent, and suggested he keep the others for himself. And I asked some questions. He sent the photos back, asked me a few questions, didn't recall Daddy Wake, and answered my questions.

The only other time I've seen one of these it was offered in one of the best auctions going, Scott Brockelman's. I bid enough that I got it.

That SABR bio is a brief, interesting article, even if you hate the Giants.
And look at retrosheet.org for the play by play. I wrote those guys, asking questions and for signed index cards (which is sent, with SASE's), most signed. Sadly, I wrote Don Liddle just after he had passed, my recollection is that his wife sent me a photo that he'd signed. Marv Grissom signed and answered questions. I think it was he that told me... Don Liddle came into that first game to relieve Maglie after the first two reached. Liddle pitched to Wertz, who hit that ball 460' feet to center, leading to The Catch. Durocher had seen all that he wanted from Liddle, and sent me it. As I get to the mound and get the ball, Don turns to me and said "I got my man, you get yours."

Frank, great write up about Dusty. His short HR down the right field line at the old Polo Grounds was often referred to at the time as a 'Chinese' HR. Doubt you would hear that expression today.

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye 01-09-2024 10:37 AM

1) Home town boy Jake Beckley hitting 3 homers on Sept. 26, 1897 in St. Louis
2)June 3, 1932 Lou Gehrig hitting 4 homers and almost a 5th in one game.
3) Aug. 19, 1951 and Eddie Gaedel batting. My father was at that game and we didn't know it until I mentioned it one day. He said it wasn't a big deal to him since he was there for the cheap Falstaff beer that day.
4) Oct. 10, 1926 GCA in the 7th game of the 1926 Series.
5)Oct. 9, 1934 Dizzy Dean wins the 7th game of the WS.

refz 01-09-2024 12:04 PM

For me:

1) Ruth’s infamous called shot game
2) 55 worlds series Jackie steals home //Yogi “he’s out” game
3) Any 1906-1911 Chicago Cub game
4) Attend the very 1st enshrinement to the baseball HOF
5) 56 worlds series Don Larsen perfect game

Keith H. Thompson 01-09-2024 12:32 PM

Any game

that shows Sam Thompson in RF wearing a glove. Joe Gonsowski found an obscure newspaper reference that is convincing, but we still do not know definitively whether Thompson was right handed or left handed.

Touch'EmAll 01-09-2024 01:01 PM

Great to hear everyone's excellent choices ! Here are 3:

1. The 1917 Timothy Murnane Benefit game at Fenway Park, including the non-game skills.

2. The first All-Star game July 6, 1933

3. Nolan Ryan's August 20, 1974 game in which he was clocked at 100.9 (closer to 108 mph due to clocking reading near home plate) And I was actually there - but would love to go back in time and see it again ! Is still listed in Guinness Book of World Records.

4. August 15, 1916 Babe Ruth, pitching for Boston, defeats Walter Johnson 1-0 in 13 innings

jsfriedm 01-09-2024 01:22 PM

1)Ted Williams' home run in his last at bat (still undecided between that and the double header in Philadelphia on the last day of the 1941 season)
2)A pitching duel between Mathewson and Mordecai Brown
3)The game where Josh Gibson hit the ball in Pittsburgh that came down the next day in Philadelphia.
4)Bobby Thompson's home run
5)A game pitched by Ol' Hoss Radbourn down the stretch in 1884.

tippedfinger 01-09-2024 02:48 PM

1) 1867 National Association of Base-Ball Players Convention -- to talk some sense into them and approve entry of the Pythians into the league and stop segregation from taking root in the game.
2) Game 7 Of 1937 Ciudad Trujillo Championship
3) Game 6 of the 1986 Mets Red Sox World Series
4) April 18th - 1946. Jackie's debut for the Montreal Royals in NJ.
5) The 1930 or 1934 game where Josh Gibson purportedly hit one out of Yankee Stadium, or close to it.
Honorable mention: Any game Ruth played in.

UKCardGuy 01-09-2024 05:01 PM

Great thread. My picks:

1909 World Series - Cobb v Wagner
Babe Ruth Pitching for the Red Sox
June 3, 1932, Yankees vs Athletics - Gehrig gets 4 HRs
Nolan Ryan's last no hitter Sandy Koufax's Perfect Game
1968 World series Game 1: Bob Gibson gets 17 strikeouts

SteveWhite 01-09-2024 05:07 PM

Games

June 4, 1974 Cleveland Stadium for the 10 cent beer night. Heard many stories about this game. When I was at Youngstown State one of my history professors went to the game, and he would tell the story of what he saw that night. It also was better than hearing about what ever history he was lecturing about on that day.

scoutsout47 01-09-2024 07:46 PM

1) 1955 WS Game 7

2) Gil McDougal’s line drive into Herb Score’s face

3) Aaron’s 1974 shot off of Al Downing

4) When Rose laid out Fosse

5) Rick Monday’s big save in the outfield

mr2686 01-10-2024 11:26 AM

1. Snodgrass Muff in 1912 WS - (I'd take this one over Merkle).
2. 1919 WS Game 1.
3. Ruth's called shot 1932 Gm 3
4. Thomson's Shot Heard 'round the world - I'd also send a note down to the dugout to not pitch Branca.
5. 1955 WS Game 7

oldjudge 01-10-2024 03:02 PM

1. Ruth called shot game
2. Reggie Jackson three HR WS game
3. Ted William's last games of 1941
4. Koufax perfect game
The fifth I was at---Aaron Boone HR playoff game against the Red Sox off Tim Wakefield

1991AtlantaBraves 01-10-2024 09:31 PM

Padres at Braves - August 12, 1984

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news...t1v9j1fsnj47vz

Exhibitman 01-10-2024 11:09 PM

Aaron #715 would be the top for me.

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...ron%20num1.jpg

1976 ALCS game 5 is #2.

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...0Topps0010.jpg

#3 is 1988 WS game 1, the Gibson HR
Koufax's perfect game is next.
Ryan's most dominant no-no would round it out

vintagerookies51 01-11-2024 12:31 AM