Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The $100 Experiment Thread Discussion... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=223303)

Paul S 05-31-2016 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1545021)
Oh the memories.......

ps.,..I made 3 historic deals on the BST while you underlings were arguing!!

Not "while" - "whilst". How quick we forget.

frankbmd 05-31-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1545027)
Not "while" - "whilst". How quick we forget.

How quickly we forget.:D

Rich Klein 05-31-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Oh the memories.......

I love it!

Eric72 05-31-2016 08:08 AM

I like the idea of a $100 thread for three reasons:

1. Sellers will likely offer cards that are "worth" more than $100, giving them an opportunity to move inventory they have been sitting on for a while.

2. Buyers would likely scoop up these cards somewhat quickly, owing to the additional "value" they receive when making this type of purchase.

3. The combination of 1 & 2 above should lead to constant "churn" or "turnover" of the cards being offered, which keeps things interesting.

Just my two cents.

Leon 05-31-2016 08:38 AM

a few thoughts so far

One thing to keep in mind too is that this front page doesn't have the security of a required login as our BST sections do, in order to see it.
It also lets a few folks who have had issues and aren't allowed on the BST to do transactions be able to do them. I am not going to monitor that issue and micro-manage. With too much oversight needed these threads won't get too far off the ground. Most likely in the next few days a decision will be made....then we can discuss that a little bit and move forward. It's an interesting topic if nothing else. Please keep the ideas coming. "Yay" or "nay" or "I don't care" are all good opinions.

the 'stache 05-31-2016 08:39 AM

$100 is such a boring number, in my opinion. The way I see it, if you're going to have a selling thread on the main board, why not do it with some style? Make it a little more fun. This is a pre-war baseball card board, so the dollar amounts should be baseball related. Ted Williams was the last man to hit .400; so, have one thread where cards are being offered at $406 in tribute to the Splendid Splinter's .406 AVG in 1941. The next week (or month, whatever is agreed upon in the experiment), go for a much smaller amount. Joltin' Joe's 56 game hitting streak has been in the news quite a bit recently; so, why not have the next thread with cards being sold at $56? There's no shortage of baseball-specific numbers: $191 for Hack Wilson's single season RBI record. $366 for Ty Cobb's record lifetime batting average. Want to have a thread for more expensive cards next? Sell some cardboard for $1947 as an homage to the year Jackie Robinson integrated the Major Leagues. Or, how about $2,297 for Hank Aaron's career RBI record? $383 for Nolan Ryan's modern-era strikeout record. Don't do $100, do $110 in honor of Walter Johnson's career shutout record. Or, do a player theme for a time. Have weekly threads for a month with all the dollar amounts related to the Sultan of Swat. Before Babe became famous for sending bombs over the outfield wall, he was one of the game's truly great twirlers. So, week one, cards could be sold at $94 for Babe's lifetime win total. Next, go for a much bigger dollar amount, like $1,919 for the year the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees. $60 for the single season home run record he established in week three, and close out the month with cards being offered at a price of $2,004 for the year Boston exorcised the Curse of the Bambino. You can do team related months, too. How about the St. Louis Cardinals? Stan Musial was a lifetime .331 hitter for the Red Birds, so open the month with cards going for $331. Week two, cards might go for $95, the number of games the Gashouse Gang won in 1934 en route to the World Series. Next, cards go for $2,011, the last time the Cardinals won it all. Finally, close the month with sales for $112, in honor of Bob Gibson's 1.12 ERA in his stellar Cy Young and MVP season of 1968.

The possibilities are literally endless, and with odd dollar amounts, there might be some real deals to be had.

Leon 05-31-2016 08:41 AM

I like the idea of offbeat numbers..... 714 is always a fave of mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1545058)
$100 is such a boring number, in my opinion. The way I see it, if you're going to have a selling thread on the main board, why not do it with some style? Make it a little more fun. This is a pre-war baseball card board, so the dollar amounts should be baseball related. Ted Williams was the last man to hit .400; so, have one thread where cards are being offered at $406 in tribute to the Splendid Splinter's .406 AVG in 1941. The next week (or month, whatever is agreed upon in the experiment), go for a much smaller amount. Joltin' Joe's 56 game hitting streak has been in the news quite a bit recently; so, why not have the next thread with cards being sold at $56? There's no shortage of baseball-specific numbers: $191 for Hack Wilson's single season RBI record. $366 for Ty Cobb's record lifetime batting average. Want to have a thread for more expensive cards next? Sell some cardboard for $1947 as an homage to the year Jackie Robinson integrated the Major Leagues. Or, how about $2,297 for Hank Aaron's career RBI record? $383 for Nolan Ryan's modern-era strikeout record. Don't do $100, do $110 in honor of Walter Johnson's career shutout record. Or, do a player theme for a time. Have weekly threads for a month with all the dollar amounts related to the Sultan of Swat. Before Babe became famous for sending bombs over the outfield wall, he was one of the game's truly great twirlers. So, week one, cards could be sold at $94 for Babe's lifetime win total. Next, go for a much bigger dollar amount, like $1,919 for the year the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees. $60 for the single season home run record he established in week three, and close out the month with cards being offered at a price of $2,004 for the year Boston exorcised the Curse of the Bambino. You can do team related months, too. How about the St. Louis Cardinals? Stan Musial was a lifetime .331 hitter for the Red Birds, so open the month with cards going for $331. Week two, cards might go for $95, the number of games the Gashouse Gang won in 1934 en route to the World Series. Next, cards go for $2,011, the last time the Cardinals won it all. Finally, close the month with sales for $112, in honor of Bob Gibson's 1.12 ERA in his stellar Cy Young and MVP season of 1968.

The possibilities are literally endless, and with odd dollar amounts, there might be some real deals to be had.

Cozumeleno 05-31-2016 09:10 AM

I'm fine with this and would be in favor of separate $100/$500/$1000 threads. The biggest problem I could see is it being cluttered with stuff that isn't really a bargain and I don't know how you go about policing that sort of thing.

slidekellyslide 05-31-2016 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cozumeleno (Post 1545070)
I'm fine with this and would be in favor of separate $100/$500/$1000 threads. The biggest problem I could see is it being cluttered with stuff that isn't really a bargain and I don't know how you go about policing that sort of thing.

Only one item for sale per person at a time should do it. I suspect if your item hasn't sold in a week or so you've priced it too high.

Cozumeleno 05-31-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1545188)
Only one item for sale per person at a time should do it. I suspect if your item hasn't sold in a week or so you've priced it too high.

Yeah, maybe a rule about if it doesn't sell in the previous week, you have to either put it in the B/S/T or wait a few weeks to repost again? That might work.

Billy5858 05-31-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1545188)

True to point....... I've already seen some
cards posted that were overpriced.

No responses. It will take care of itself

T206Collector 05-31-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cozumeleno (Post 1545070)

+1

GasHouseGang 05-31-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1545056)
One thing to keep in mind too is that this front page doesn't have the security of a required login as our BST sections do, in order to see it.
It also lets a few folks who have had issues and aren't allowed on the BST to do transactions be able to do them. I am not going to monitor that issue and micro-manage. With too much oversight needed these threads won't get too far off the ground. Most likely in the next few days a decision will be made....then we can discuss that a little bit and move forward. It's an interesting topic if nothing else. Please keep the ideas coming. "Yay" or "nay" or "I don't care" are all good opinions.

These are valid points of concern, especially if we are doing $1000 cards. At least it would concern me.

jason.1969 05-31-2016 08:46 PM

I was digging the idea of a $100 thread until Bill posted the baseball-themed denominations. I like that even better but would just ask that we at least occasionally made it down into double digits.

Here is a variation that might be interesting...each month a player is chosen along with 2-3 numbers significant to the player. Example: Hank Aaron with 44/714/1957. Then members list their items that month and indicate whether the price is $44, $714, or $1957.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Tabe 06-01-2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pariah1107 (Post 1544795)
WTF? BST on the front page in the past, has been actively discouraged until these $500 & $1000 threads. Not sure the reasoning for this reversal of policy, but I expect the worst. Why not just have a $100/$500/$1000 auction once a month in the BST section, or open a net54 auction house with nothing but Buy It Now options. Stupid. Just my two cents.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts, too. There's already a BST area.

Jason 06-01-2016 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabe (Post 1545398)
This pretty much sums up my thoughts, too. There's already a BST area.

I agree as well. Ill also add any of the cards that sold would have also sold on the BST. The were all fairly priced and cant see them being overlooked there as opposed to the front page.

mechanicalman 06-01-2016 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1545407)
I agree as well. Ill also add any of the cards that sold would have also sold on the BST. The were all fairly priced and cant see them being overlooked there as opposed to the front page.

I'm not sure I agree with this sentiment. I think the fixed price mandate and the high profile nature (and sheer fun/novelty) of the threads on the main page caused some dudes like myself to offer cards at prices they wouldn't have offered on the BST. Plus, it was more rewarding to know the cards for sale wouldn't be quickly buried by sales of beaters, countless WTB requests, and incredibly myopic trade proposals. "Looking to trade my PSA 1 Cycle Pink Chase for your PSA 3.5 Red Cobb."

Huck 06-01-2016 06:16 AM

Quote:

I thought users could not see pictures without logging in. I can read posts but not see pictures unless I am logged in. I think most collectors would want to see a picture of the item before purchasing.

Leon 06-01-2016 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biohazard (Post 1545417)
I thought users could not see pictures without logging in. I can read posts but not see pictures unless I am logged in. I think most collectors would want to see a picture of the item before purchasing.

Scammers probably wouldn't be as worried about pictures as a collector. On the BST you have to login and contact information has to be on file. Of course it isn't foolproof but we have had very, very few actual scammer/thieves on the BST areas. Generally those people look for the path of least resistance and with our system it's more difficult (not impossible by any means) to do bad stuff than other more open places.

Paul S 06-01-2016 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1545044)
How quickly we forget.:D

Thanks, Barry;)

Thecafewha 06-01-2016 09:25 AM

I like the idea. The more active selling threads the better.

Joshua Van Pelt

aaroncc 06-01-2016 09:51 AM

I think its a good idea. Anything to advance collectors interests. Personally don't think it would hurt the main board. After all each are only a single thread and it seems like everyone is having fun.

Huck 06-01-2016 10:10 AM

I like the idea. The $1,000 thread does not seem to be garnering much action. The $500 memorabilia thread is D E A D. I think a $100, $250 or as proposed baseball stat number entry point would have quite a bit of action. Also, I guess it all depends on what the seller considers a "deal".

peterose4hof 06-01-2016 10:22 AM

I think these threads are great, but belong in a separate subsection of the B/S/T.

1. The B/S/T section has the added security of a member having to be logged in to view

2. The main board should not be clogged up with B/S/T type threads

3. If these types of threads continue to be popular, placing them in the B/S/T area could drive more traffic to the other B/S/T threads

pokerplyr80 06-01-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

I hadn't considered the security issue as I'm automatically logged in when I open Net54. People who have been banned from selling in the BST section must have done something to deserve that ban. It would also be easy for people who have never signed up to scam members in these threads on the main forum. I was in favor of these at the beginning. But for what it's worth, my vote would be to move them to the auction thread for the security concerns.

peterose4hof 06-01-2016 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbfinley (Post 1545009)
We are disappointed at the thought of having to sift through and past such small time threads. Honestly, we'd rather have dinner in New Jersey. And I shudder.

We here with America's most exquisite want list would like to see a $25,000 sale thread. Should the tired masses not be able to fulfill it, sigh, a $10,000 thread will do just fine.

Quote:

Oh the memories.......

Classic! What ever happen to his amazing Boston Garter Advertising Panel?

aaroncc 06-01-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterose4hof (Post 1545545)
Classic! What ever happen to his amazing Boston Garter Advertising Panel?

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2013/5.html

peterose4hof 06-01-2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncc (Post 1545555)

Thanks! I never tire of looking at that beauty.

Huck 06-01-2016 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterose4hof (Post 1545492)
I think these threads are great, but belong in a separate subsection of the B/S/T.

2. The main board should not be clogged up with B/S/T type threads

What is this clogging business? Is it similar to a toilet about to flow over the rim? Is it similar to traffic in the city of angels? It is one thread, read it or don't read it, kind of simple.

xplainer 06-01-2016 06:39 PM

The security feature in the BST area, as LL mentioned, really needs to be considered. I never even thought of that.

Can a 100, 500 and 1000 thread, be posted there?

That seems a reasonable solution.

Though the 500 and 1000 are out of my purchase area, I still check it out frequently.

Great idea.

frankbmd 06-01-2016 06:54 PM

In response to being called "a fun killer" in this thread, a 10,000 cents thread has already been started in the BST section. If anyone wants to glom onto it, be my guest. Bumps mean exposure and exposure means sales. Furthermore, fun killers will be dealt with harshly.:eek:

Joshchisox08 06-02-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason.1969 (Post 1545366)
I was digging the idea of a $100 thread until Bill posted the baseball-themed denominations. I like that even better but would just ask that we at least occasionally made it down into double digits.

Here is a variation that might be interesting...each month a player is chosen along with 2-3 numbers significant to the player. Example: Hank Aaron with 44/714/1957. Then members list their items that month and indicate whether the price is $44, $714, or $1957.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Probably the best idea on here. That way it can be consolidated into one thread rather than 2-3.

Leon 06-04-2016 08:05 AM

Still deciding on how to approach these threads? It seems the majority would like to see them continue in some form or fashion at least from the responses given. I can't imagine there being more than one at a time if we move forward. Also, to me, when these threads were first done it seemed like the spirit was to try to make whatever you offer be a much better deal than otherwise. I am not saying they all had to be great deals but at least better than normal. Some of them were that and it was great. Then some were more of BST type things offered for a 10% discount here in hopes of selling. I dunno. I think it will be hard to manage. If someone wants to step up and manage the threads, and only have one going at a time, I think we can discuss trying that. If anything doesn't work or has unintended undesirable consequences then we will quit. It's not that big of a deal, really. Nothing is changing with the BST, listings are still to be done in correct spots....and so forth. These threads, if done, are one offs. Who cares, anyone can just not click on one measly thread if they don't like it. If that is too much of a bother, sorry.

As a suggestion, maybe we have a different thread every 2 weeks BUT when one is started the other gets locked. That way there could be different dollar level threads and it could add diversity. And if that is the case, while it's a nice thought to want to include all members at all pricing levels, I am not sure we can meet that objective. I don't know if a $25 thread works or not? Lastly, for whatever reason, it seems the enthusiasm has subsided just a bit. If we never get to a great consensus on what to do, then this experiment will retire into thread archives......

LEHR 06-04-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biohazard (Post 1545488)
I like the idea. The $1,000 thread does not seem to be garnering much action. The $500 memorabilia thread is D E A D. I think a $100, $250 or as proposed baseball stat number entry point would have quite a bit of action. Also, I guess it all depends on what the seller considers a "deal".

I say give these types of threads the green light. Sure, a $50-$100 thread will most certainly see more action than a $500-$1000 thread but I'd still bet they all are done and drop off the main pages in a month, tops. And in the mean time the participants can have some fun with the hobby.

Just my $0.02.

JustinD 06-04-2016 10:19 AM

I like the idea of only 100, 250, 500, and 1000 dollar options. I would advocate a one or two week at most rotation for each thread and fully agree to Leon's idea of locking the previous threads and leaving just the one. I think this is absolutely necessary to keep the excitement of each thread and not have them filled with junk to sift through as some people will always put things in that just won't sell.

I am totally against a 25 or 50 dollar thread, not being elitist, but small purchases can be put on the BST and is that not more ebay territory? I just would not be interested in a giant thread with not much eye candy at that price point. Also, I think lots should not be allowed. If you want to sell 230 1972 Topps commons for a 100 bucks, please use the BST.

Just my 2 cents.

iwantitiwinit 06-04-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1546638)
I like the idea of only 100, 250, 500, and 1000 dollar options. I would advocate a one or two week at most rotation for each thread and fully agree to Leon's idea of locking the previous threads and leaving just the one. I think this is absolutely necessary to keep the excitement of each thread and not have them filled with junk to sift through as some people will always put things in that just won't sell.

I am totally against a 25 or 50 dollar thread, not being elitist, but small purchases can be put on the BST and is that not more ebay territory? I just would not be interested in a giant thread with not much eye candy at that price point. Also, I think lots should not be allowed. If you want to sell 230 1972 Topps commons for a 100 bucks, please use the BST.

Just my 2 cents.

This sounds like one of the best ideas/compromises and since everyone seems to be coming up with different alternatives I say we go with this if Leon is ok with it. Anyone else vote for it?

Leon 06-04-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 1546646)
This sounds like one of the best ideas/compromises and since everyone seems to be coming up with different alternatives I say we go with this if Leon is ok with it. Anyone else vote for it?

So you takin' charge? :)

iwantitiwinit 06-04-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1546663)
So you takin' charge? :)

No way! Just thought there were so many alternatives suggested that at least a seconding of one might lead to further consensus subject to your approval.

Leon 06-04-2016 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 1546665)
No way! Just thought there were so many alternatives suggested that at least a seconding of one might lead to further consensus subject to your approval.

Actually Greg would get first dibs....but see what I mean? ;)

GoCubsGo32 06-04-2016 11:25 AM

I really like the $100 idea. I've enjoyed the other two threads.

I think if you are banned from B/S/T area, you should be banned from these threads as well.