Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   World Series predictions - Phillies vs Astros (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=326719)

jayshum 11-03-2022 08:49 AM

I didn't understand why McCullers started game 3 instead of Javier considering how Javier has done in his most recent starts. I'm not sure if he would start a game 7 on short rest since he threw almost 100 pitches (unless it was planned for just a few innings), but I would expect him to be available out of the bullpen for a few innings if needed.

mrreality68 11-03-2022 09:42 AM

This is shaping up to be an interesting series. Split after 4 games. Heavy hitting and then no hitter.

Best of 3 now

Shoeless Moe 11-03-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2279986)
I didn't understand why McCullers started game 3 instead of Javier considering how Javier has done in his most recent starts. I'm not sure if he would start a game 7 on short rest since he threw almost 100 pitches (unless it was planned for just a few innings), but I would expect him to be available out of the bullpen for a few innings if needed.

Yah Dusty's first error was not pitching Javier 3rd (or earlier). They had plenty of time between the ALCS & WS to set the pitching order. Got to ride the hot hand/arm. He's too loyal to Verlander & McCullers.

Could come back to hurt him, but we'll see.

I think its the Phillies in must win mode tonight.

jayshum 11-03-2022 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2280097)
Yah Dusty's first error was not pitching Javier 3rd (or earlier). They had plenty of time between the ALCS & WS to set the pitching order. Got to ride the hot hand/arm. He's too loyal to Verlander & McCullers.

It's hard to question the decision of starting with Verlander in game 1 after the season he had. McCullers only pitched 8 games this year so that's the one that makes no sense to me when you look at Javier's stats overall and more recently. He's been almost unhittable recently and was unhittable last night especially since no one on the Phillies had ever faced him before other than Brandon Marsh.

My prediction was Houston in 6 and unless the Phillies can find a way to win tonight with Syndergaard (and a lot of his bullpen friends) pitching, that looks like the most likely outcome with Valdez against Wheeler the matchup in game 6.

BobbyStrawberry 11-03-2022 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2280097)

Phillies need a big game from THOR tonight.

jayshum 11-03-2022 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2280169)
Phillies need a big game from THOR tonight.

What do you mean by a big game? They're only expecting him to pitch 3 (maybe 4) innings so even if he does that without giving up any runs, I don't know if I would consider that a big game.

BobbyStrawberry 11-03-2022 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2280172)
What do you mean by a big game? They're only expecting him to pitch 3 (maybe 4) innings so even if he does that without giving up any runs, I don't know if I would consider that a big game.

Fair enough, "a scoreless outing in a big game" works

mrreality68 11-04-2022 04:55 AM

Wow

Houston Wins 2 straight and looks to close it out

and Verlander did not look good but pitched well enough to keep his team in it 1 Run but 4 walks and only went 5 innings

But he got the win

Steve D 11-04-2022 06:01 PM

Just saw this on Facebook. It's the impression Chas McCormick made on the warning track after he made the catch against the fence last night. The picture was taken by a fan sitting above where the catch was made.

https://scontent-hou1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...Xw&oe=636B3F6A

Steve

Casey2296 11-04-2022 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 2280524)
Just saw this on Facebook. It's the impression Chas McCormick made on the warning track after he made the catch against the fence last night. The picture was taken by a fan sitting above where the catch was made.

https://scontent-hou1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...Xw&oe=636B3F6A

Steve

Now that would make a good NFT

Shoeless Moe 11-05-2022 08:14 PM

"Ka Ka KaBOOM!!!!!!!"

ClementeFanOh 11-06-2022 04:52 AM

World Series

There's something so gosh darn peachy about Bryce Harper still on the
outside, looking in. I know he's got 300 million reasons to be happy- but he
doesn't have the title:) Trent King

mrreality68 11-06-2022 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh (Post 2280960)
There's something so gosh darn peachy about Bryce Harper still on the
outside, looking in. I know he's got 300 million reasons to be happy- but he
doesn't have the title:) Trent King

+1 Agreed

the only person I am happy for is Dusty Baker. Glad he has his title. But neither team are likeable to me and I could not root for either team.

Glad it is over. Now to the off season and pray my team does something right to get us to where we want to be

clydepepper 11-06-2022 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2277150)
I want it to go 7 and include more than one ghost-runnerless extra-inning game and at least three weather postponements...pushing the final way too close to Thanksgiving. That'll learn em.

...that's what I want...

what I predict is trashtros in 6.

I knew it.

jayshum 11-06-2022 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2276929)
Any predictions for the World Series? I'm a lifelong Phillies fan, but I don't see them beating Houston. I'm thinking Houston in 6, but could be even less. However, I'd be very happy to be wrong. :)

Unfortunately, I was right. It's disappointing now, but if someone had told me back in March that the Phillies would get to the World Series and lose in 6, I probably would have been very happy considering how long it had been since they had even made the playoffs.

jingram058 11-06-2022 12:46 PM

Yeah...to heck with the Trashtros. The only one I'm happy for is Dusty Baker. Could not give a hoot for the rest of 'em, or their obnoxious fan base. Won the World Series again, eh? Big effing deal. They used to be somewhat likeable. Now, rooting for them is like rooting for the Yankees or the Red Sox...