Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ty Cobb 1911 D304 General Bakery, "Star Breads" Card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=186753)

sycks22 04-21-2014 06:03 PM

Calling the moderator of a vintage baseball card website an idiot or ignorant is never a good sign.

Paul S 04-21-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bocabirdman (Post 1267751)
18 posts and already his head is being called for......Not a record but damn impressive none the less.:eek:

Even Adrian made it to 1000 posts

Leon 04-21-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsaddict (Post 1267753)
The Cobb in the screw down is an obvious fake. I would guess 90% of "local shops" would be clueless to the Cobb. "Estate sales" turn out to be fakes more times than not. The OP seems to be quite arrogant, shouldn't his name be posted too?

Yeah, I was kind of letting the name thing fly since it's only me he is calling an idiot. His name is Steve and his last name is after the S in his User id.....He'll get over it....not a big deal. Myself and many board members consult with the grading companies, on their behalf and on our specialties, but how is he to know?

Bocabirdman 04-21-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycks22 (Post 1267756)
Calling the moderator of a vintage baseball card website an idiot or ignorant is never a good sign.

I shall make a note of that in case MY brain completely shuts off. It could happen you know.:) If I could only think of an example......:eek:

Bocabirdman 04-21-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1267759)
Even Adrian made it to 1000 posts

Yes, but he did it in a week and a half.:D

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1267760)
Yeah, I was kind of letting the name thing fly since it's only me he is calling an idiot. His name is Steve and his last name is after the S in his User id.....He'll get over it....not a big deal. Myself and many board members consult with the grading companies, on their behalf and on our specialties, but how is he to know?

Leon. I'm not trying to be ass. I have had so many different opinions from multiple large companies that had multiple cobb cards t206 and others that all stated same thing. Tired of people giving opinions without touching. I'm not trying to scam anyone I had a simple question if real by sgc grading where can I find pricing. I didn't want to post picture because how piss poor the picture is but did it after multiple request. If it's real great. If not then fine but no where did I ask for input on that you cannot tell me that by looking at bad quality picture you can tell anything I trust the store owner with multiple cobbs graded and others whom have touched it and looked at it I should have just waited until grading to ask question.

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrubinski (Post 1267766)
Leon. I'm not trying to be ass. I have had so many different opinions from multiple large companies that had multiple cobb cards t206 and others that all stated same thing. Tired of people giving opinions without touching. I'm not trying to scam anyone I had a simple question if real by sgc grading where can I find pricing. I didn't want to post picture because how piss poor the picture is but did it after multiple request. If it's real great. If not then fine but no where did I ask for input on that you cannot tell me that by looking at bad quality picture you can tell anything I trust the store owner with multiple cobbs graded and others whom have touched it and looked at it I should have just waited until grading to ask question.

As to name I didn't know it wasn't showing

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:14 PM

Just to be clear only this forum has claimed fake I have standing offers from local major collectors

gnaz01 04-21-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrubinski (Post 1267769)
Just to be clear only this forum has claimed fake I have standing offers from local major collectors

Then if I were you, I would sell it ASAP

ullmandds 04-21-2014 06:16 PM

I'd bet my dollars on the mass opinion(s) of this board any day of the week.

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:17 PM

No the only thing that matters is a grading company grading not this or any other site

Leon 04-21-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Steve, the edges of the card are way too white. And When corners that are originally square, have rounding over time, they don't round so cleanly. And I am not even getting to the erased paper loss at the bottom of the back where the word "Reprint" used to be. I am 100% sure but of course I don't expect you to believe me. Call SGC and ask anyone there about me.....especially the graders or the customer service manager, Earl. I admit I still make mistakes but this isn't going to be one of them.

Bocabirdman 04-21-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Steve, The experts you have contacted use more than one of the board members here as a consultant. Whether you know it or not, you WILL NOT find a more knowledgeable crew of guys ANYWHERE. PERIOD. What knowledge cannot be culled from this board, died and was buried with the printers of the cards we collect. Happy Collecting.

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:23 PM

There is zero eraser points I can guarantee that

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:24 PM

I don't collect just wanted one little piece info

ullmandds 04-21-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrubinski (Post 1267772)
No the only thing that matters is a grading company grading not this or any other site

And with this statement your ignorance is proven.

rdwyer 04-21-2014 06:26 PM

Taking your cards to a local dealer who deals with the shiny stuff is a waste of time. 90% of them don't even know what to look for, when dealing with vintage. This place is your best bet of getting true and accurate opinions when dealing with vintage. If people here say your cards are bogus, then they are. It's that simple.

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:27 PM

If it's fake then no issue. I don't know enough either way but when done either real or fake it is what it is but the black marks you see on back are not on card and the card is all basically same color. But again that's sgc or psa to determine if found real planned on psa to verify

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1267777)
And with this statement your ignorance is proven.

Where did I claim to be a collector and this is why card collecting is becoming a thing of the past

Leon 04-21-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrubinski (Post 1267775)
There is zero eraser points I can guarantee that

That is the only part I am not 100% sure of since it's hard to tell from the scan. But the authenticity is not a question. It's not even close. And again, that is just my opinion (and others in this thread). I have bought my fair share of bad cards over the years but over time have done it less often..... You will get your SGC answer soon and this won't be in your top 1000 learning lessons in life. It's just not that big of a deal. And one other thing. That card in a vg grade is about a 9k-12k card, with a common back as that one is. The Martens back is one of two known and would probably go for a little more.

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:39 PM

Maybe I'm erasing the population reports wrong but psa shows 1 of yours and none of the star bread. And sgc only shows 1 &2. Of the star. But either way first things first see if real or not

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:39 PM

Reading. Autocorrect

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:43 PM

http://www.psacard.com/pop/Detail.aspx?c=35389

Leon 04-21-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrubinski (Post 1267790)
Maybe I'm erasing the population reports wrong but psa shows 1 of yours and none of the star bread. And sgc only shows 1 &2. Of the star. But either way first things first see if real or not

Yours is called D304 General Baking (not Star), mine is called D304 Martens Bakery. There are 2 Cobbs known (that I am aware of) with a Martens back.

Here is the PSA one you speak of...

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=717&lotNo=81077

I won a half a dozen or more of the other Martens backs in that HA auction. But that is only the 2nd Martens backed Cobb I am currently aware of.

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:49 PM

If this is real I'll have it appraised before I sell it if it's fake I have a wobbly table that will be fixed

Bocabirdman 04-21-2014 06:55 PM

Steve,

I have a question for you. You said that there were about 15 cards in "a box of "junk". Leon as correctly evaluated a "real" Cobb in that condition as a $9k-$12k card. The Ruth you mentioned in your original post if it was "real" and in similar condition would be another couple grand. Given the value of those two cards and your admitted lack of knowledge, the other 13 cards may be an additional stack o' cash. We are talking about $15K up to god knows what. Why would someone know enough to put such "valuable' cards in to screw-downs and then throw them in the bottom of a junk box? :eek:

x2drich2000 04-21-2014 06:55 PM

Skrubinski, for Leon's card, both psa and sgc each show 1 graded. For your back, a General Baking back, sgc shows 8 graded and psa does show any specifically (though there are 2 with the back not identified). While the General Baking is not the most common back, it is also far from the most difficult. I would honestly suggest you take real consideration into what everyone on this board is telling you. Everyone is trying to be as helpful as possible and ultimately save you the $40+ per card grading fee that sgc will charge.

DJ

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 06:58 PM

It's already being graded. If it's fake it's fake.

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So based on all the negative statements I should assume the following are reprints as well

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And this one

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bocabirdman (Post 1267799)
Steve,

I have a question for you. You said that there were about 15 cards in "a box of "junk". Leon as correctly evaluated a "real" Cobb in that condition as a $9k-$12k card. The Ruth you mentioned in your original post if it was "real" and in similar condition would be another couple grand. Given the value of those two cards and your admitted lack of knowledge, the other 13 cards may be an additional stack o' cash. We are talking about $15K up to god knows what. Why would someone know enough to put such "valuable' cards in to screw-downs and then throw them in the bottom of a junk box? :eek:

This came from estate never know

Bocabirdman 04-21-2014 07:05 PM

Steve,

Out of curiosity, without going into which sets they are from or what condition they are in, what are some of the other player's names on the other 13 cards?

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrubinski (Post 1267805)
And this one

Or this one either

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Few more pics. Yes I know prob fake but I will wait for sga

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
181 back

calvindog 04-21-2014 07:09 PM

LOLOLOL. This one is a world class moron.

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last example

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:11 PM

Why? A question was asked I'm responding. Don't like don't read

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1267814)
LOLOLOL. This one is a world class moron.

And I can cure ignorance can't cure being an idiot

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:19 PM

No comment about these. They were in same box

calvindog 04-21-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrubinski (Post 1267821)
And I can cure ignorance can't cure being an idiot

You're terminally afflicted with both.

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:26 PM

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one

Kawika 04-21-2014 07:28 PM

Skrubinski don't know it yet but he's about to be toast.

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:31 PM

Talking about clicks. Lol. You can attack me but I can't retort. I just looked at a posting done by Leon with the same rounded corners that my 181 has and I am being told that rounded corners mean reprints. Wow

Leon 04-21-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrubinski (Post 1267836)
Talking about clicks. Lol. You can attack me but I can't retort. I just looked at a posting done by Leon with the same rounded corners that my 181 has and I am being told that rounded corners mean reprints. Wow

They are all fake but I am most positive about the original D304.

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:35 PM

Sorry meant thread about Lou g that Leon is in

calvindog 04-21-2014 07:35 PM

Lol

Skrubinski 04-21-2014 07:37 PM

That makes no spence the Lou g. In your other thread has same rounded corners as my 181 but you claim fake on mine. Oh well I'm just glad I'm not a collector this forum is biased and completely predatory

wolf441 04-21-2014 07:39 PM

Steve, they are 100% fakes, it's okay. You tried to come on a vintage card site and get them by the experts.

We're only kidding with you, we're having a party. You haven't been here very long and we're breaking your balls, and you're getting f*cking fresh. We're sorry, we didn't mean to offend you.....

Now go home and get your f*ckin' shinebox.

Sean1125 04-21-2014 07:40 PM

I read this thread from the first page and can only laugh... You really shouldn't question members of this forum. Most of them are the most knowledgeable of their type of collections. Shit, I own two D304's Cobb's and many other cards.... and I think yours is NG. I hope I am wrong as I will buy it!