Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dubious HOF Statistical Records (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=267608)

darwinbulldog 04-09-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1868661)
I bet Ryan issued more walks than Palmer in any of the following

Bases empty
Man of first
Man on second
Man on third
Men on first and second
Men on first and third
Men on second and third
And bases full

Pretty likely. Ryan was a K machine, striking out 49% more batters than the average of the next ten pitchers on the career leaderboard. But he was even more of a BB machine, walking 65% more batters than the average of the next ten pitchers (all of whom, speaking of dubious HOF records, are either in the HOF or are named Roger Clemens).

frankbmd 04-09-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itslarry (Post 1868700)
This whole thread has been a really entertaining read. Thanks everyone for making my porcelain thrown time enjoyable:D

Let’s keep this thread going with some more dubious records, as Larry tells me he is constipated.

btcarfagno 04-10-2019 10:07 AM

Goose Goslin grounded into four consecutive double plays. Not sure if that is still the record. I know it was tied once in the 1960's.

Jim65 04-10-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1869020)
Goose Goslin grounded into four consecutive double plays. Not sure if that is still the record. I know it was tied once in the 1960's.

I remember when Joe Torre grounded into 4 DPs with the Mets, he blamed Felix Millan for going 4 for 4 in front of him. :)

frankbmd 04-10-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1869033)
I remember when Joe Torre grounded into 4 DPs with the Mets, he blamed Felix Millan for going 4 for 4 in front of him. :)

And I bet that was Millan's last four hit game.:D

Spike 04-16-2019 07:58 PM

Rickey (335) and Brock (307) are top two for career caught stealing...and I didn't realize Rod Carew (187) would be in the top 10!

Ron LeFlore (142 in 9 years) "leads" for guys who played less than ten seasons.

With Ichiro (117) retired, Rajal Davis (107) becomes MLB's active CS leader and can build on that, assuming he's recalled to the bigs from Syracuse at some point.

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-16-2019 08:04 PM

Actually that's mind boggling that Rickey was THAT much better than Brock. Virtually the same caught stealing for what 500 more successful swipes?

darwinbulldog 04-16-2019 08:17 PM

Take a look at Raines.

howard38 04-16-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 1870802)
Rickey (335) and Brock (307) are top two for career caught stealing...and I didn't realize Rod Carew (187) would be in the top 10!

Ron LeFlore (142 in 9 years) "leads" for guys who played less than ten seasons.

With Ichiro (117) retired, Rajal Davis (107) becomes MLB's active CS leader and can build on that, assuming he's recalled to the bigs from Syracuse at some point.

Ty Cobb would probably be the all-time leader, and by a lot, if CS stats were available for his entire career.

frankbmd 04-17-2019 07:09 AM

Are intentional walks dubious?

The case for the intentional walk as a dubious record.

1. The ultimate passive achievement for the batter who is issued a free pass, but still a rather common one for a HOF slugger.

2. A strategic call by the opposing manager based on several factors often not related to batter such as

Putting a runner on first to set up a double play, particularly if the slugger is not a fleet base runner.

Removing the threat of a damaging hitter to pitch to a guy hitting .137, which is as much related to the poorer hitter than the batter receiving the walk.

Creating a more favorable righty-lefty matchup for his pitcher, in the era of analytics.

And so forth.

And throw in the non-intentional intentional walk, where the pitcher ardently avoids giving the batter a decent pitch and ends up walking him nevertheless if the batter doesn’t offer at a bouncing curve ball or a slider further away than the length his bat.:eek:

The last statement renders any recorded statistic irrelevant, but I would be willing to bet the career leader is in Cooperstown. And of course I would be wrong. The career leader actually has more than twice as many IBBs as number two on the list and neither is a HOFer at least not yet, Bonds and Pujols. Also note that intentional walks were not a recorded stat for prewar players before 1941. The leading HOFer though in this category is Stan Musial, who leads Hank Aaron by 5, and always will.;):D