Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The end results of hoarding (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=319823)

G1911 05-23-2022 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2227503)
And better yet, how can anyone else know that a particular card is being hoarded if the perceived hoarder never lets on that they are doing this?

This is kind of what I was getting at. I hoard a few cards for fun because they are some of my favorites. I have never talked about them publicly, and nobody seems to be aware someone is hoarding them. I have over 50% of the POP reports cracked out and in my boxes and what is probably a similar percentage of the raw extant examples for these cards. But by shutting up, I haven't escalated the price on myself and these cards have really only risen with inflation. Actual supply and demand doesn't seem to be as important a factor as is often assumed, but perception of it. Obak Miller's cost an arm and a leg, but I don't think they would if people didn't realize most were being won by a hoarder. People run up the price when they perceive a shortage or realize they can sell for more than it 'should' be worth to a hoarder; and these sales then make others pay more. It seems to me the practical way to hoard is to keep quiet and be patient; you'll end up with most of what you want for much less, it will just not produce a lot of the card at once early on when you announce it.

egri 05-23-2022 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2227380)
IIRC, I thought he went to jail for some reason? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. But, if so, what happened to his hoard?

I seem to recall that his time in jail occurred before he started posting here. Though it is entirely possible that he did something to get himself sent back after he was banned.

Leon 05-26-2022 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howe’s hunter (Post 2227236)
hold my beer.

lol

Vintage Vern 05-26-2022 07:02 PM

I'm somewhat confused on what constitutes hoarding. I'm into a single player that had very few cards to begin with (less than 1 reported for 1 card no more than 5 to 10 total for most others) of each card reported if you look at population reports from TPG. Is it set builders that won't break a set or are people like me considered the problem? To me they have the cards I desire, and said player is a nobody to most that hold the card. They hold it for the sake of a complete set, not because the card has meaning to them. I'm finding it extremely difficult to find cards, and most people that have them have 1 in total, but won't give them up because they value the complete set not the individual card itself. Is that hoarding, or am I hoarding if I find all the cards even if it's just 1 of each of his, and keep them from set builders because they have meaning to me without wanting anything more than a single player? Not to mention ungraded is also very hard to come by at least something in graded shape. They have to be out there, but who has them, and how many does someone have?