Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   On the easel... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=117391)

GoCubsGo32 01-15-2014 02:36 PM

Love them all! Always a great job! I think the only thing, that kinda bothers me and this is really small but, I would of changed the color for your signature on the Cy Young.It doesn't stand out, like your others. Like I said, it doesn't take away from your masterpiece. The eyes are stunning on the Cy Young! Favorite one in the new bunch!

GKreindler 01-15-2014 03:23 PM

Thanks a lot for the kind words, everybody.

Regarding the signature in the Young painting, it's a good call. I think in this case, for whatever reason, the signature really disappears in the scan, though in the original, I'm pretty sure it's brighter. I'll have to double-check once I see it again. But thanks for noticing!!

Oh, and also, Dean (the ol' agent) is starting to go through his contact list of those interested in my work, as he'll be sending out periodical updates in the very near future. So, if any of you want to be kept in the loop regarding news, prices and/or deals on my artwork, feel free to send me a private message with your email address. Of course, your info will NEVER be sold, rented or traded.

Thanks again,

Graig

Lordstan 01-15-2014 07:14 PM

Dude,
That Young is crazy good. The whole face is so realistic it's incredible.
Congrats on more great work.
Any updates on the 27 Yankees?
Best,
Mark

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bobfreedman 01-15-2014 07:20 PM

Wow Greg

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by baseball tourist (Post 1228314)
Great stuff! The Merkle and Young are especially fantastic.

Greg, here is the actual photo. Your work is incredible to say the least.

howard38 01-16-2014 05:56 AM

It shows that you enjoyed painting the Young portait. Very well done though I'm not sure I'd want that rough mug hanging in my den. Hard to believe he was just 41 or 42 at that time and still pitching some decent ball.

Since the signature die has already been cast I'll pick a nit as well. I actually prefer an obscured signature or even none at all. If attribution is necessary I'd rather it be on the back of the work. That being said you do have one of the nicest signatures I've ever seen and I do not find it obtrusive.

timzcardz 01-16-2014 11:11 AM

Graig,

Thanks for continuing to share your work here! It's always great to see what you're working on.

GKreindler 01-27-2014 05:21 PM

Hey all,

Thanks so much for all of the comments from my last post, especially the critique of the signature and everything. I really appreciate that honesty.

You might have to exhibit some more of that for these next two paintings, which I got scans of today:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps8056c173.jpg
Dorothy Kamenshek, 14" x 18"

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps3020e945.jpg
Rube Waddell, 1901, 16" x 20"

Yeah, they're a little different from what I've done before in terms of subject matter, but that matters not.

Kamenshek might not have been the most attractive of women, but she was still perhaps the greatest player ever in the AAGPBL. It's actually not one of Dean's favorites, though I like it a lot. And it was an honor to paint her.

Rube is...well...Rube. I enjoyed painting this one too, especially with that bad@$$ double-breasted suit. It's amazing to see how clean-cut he was here, yet I can't even imagine the kind of craziness that must have been going on in his mind. I think the eyes have it.

So, I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of these, be they good or bad. Or even unrelated.

Thanks for all of the constant support, everybody.

Graig

Scott Garner 01-27-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKreindler (Post 1233172)
Hey all,

Thanks so much for all of the comments from my last post, especially the critique of the signature and everything. I really appreciate that honesty.

You might have to exhibit some more of that for these next two paintings, which I got scans of today:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps8056c173.jpg
Dorothy Kamenshek, 14" x 18"

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps3020e945.jpg
Rube Waddell, 1901, 16" x 20"

Yeah, they're a little different from what I've done before in terms of subject matter, but that matters not.

Kamenshek might not have been the most attractive of women, but she was still perhaps the greatest player ever in the AAGPBL. It's actually not one of Dean's favorites, though I like it a lot. And it was an honor to paint her.

Rube is...well...Rube. I enjoyed painting this one too, especially with that bad@$$ double-breasted suit. It's amazing to see how clean-cut he was here, yet I can't even imagine the kind of craziness that must have been going on in his mind. I think the eyes have it.

So, I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of these, be they good or bad. Or even unrelated.

Thanks for all of the constant support, everybody.

Graig

Graig,
I absolutely LOVE the Rube Waddell.
I think you captured him perfectly, FWIW...

howard38 01-27-2014 09:24 PM

I agree w/Scott, you really nailed Rube there. He looks like his mother forced him to comb his hair and wear his father's suit for that portrait.

Section115 01-27-2014 09:45 PM

That Rube is absolutely fantastic.

GKreindler 01-28-2014 05:46 AM

Scott, Kevin and Howard, thank you so much for the kind words. I gotta admit, after painting Rube twice in the past few months, I can't wait to paint him again. His face was just so...um...weird looking. That nose, the upper lip, and those eyes...just all very distinct. I hope I get to do many more in the future.

Graig

GKreindler 03-12-2014 11:18 AM

Hey everyone,

Spring is alllmmooossstt here in New York, so I'm happy to see the weather warming and the ice melting. And that's even if my car is covered in salt.

Anywho, some of you had written me and asked about the progress of the 1927 Yankees team painting I've been working on. It's still not there, and it's definitely taking some serious time. But over the past few weeks, I've been dedicating an hour or more to it everyday in the hopes that I can start making some headway.

I'm happy to say that almost everything is blocked in, which in itself is the most time-consuming part of it. There are a couple of faces that still need a lot of work, but overall, the majority of them are getting close to the finish line. And those pinstripes...ooohhh, those pinstripes. Trying to paint 30 different pinstriped jerseys convincingly - having them undulate in space and all - has been a real exercise in patience (and madness). Also, the straight lines of the stands, seats and rails...my brain hurts just thinking about it.

But regardless of what's kicking my @$$, I thought I'd post some progress shots of the thing.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psd8c8f256.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psf0a26834.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps2af09d63.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psc398d4b8.jpg

Gehrig is probably the figure closest to completion, but even he's not there yet. But it should give you an idea of what the other 30 guys will look like when they're complete.

The photos were taken with my iPhone, so they're not super sharp. And since the piece is so large, the lighting from the windows has been wreaking a bit of havoc on the right side of the piece (hence the glare).

As per usual, comments, thoughts, and critiques are ALWAYS appreciated.

Thanks,

Graig

whitehse 03-12-2014 11:33 AM

Only one comment.....WOW!

As always your work amazes me!

thecatspajamas 03-12-2014 11:45 AM

Andrew took the word right out of my mouth. I was going to type it a few more times for emphasis though :D

Scott Garner 03-12-2014 12:42 PM

What a project! Awesome Graig!

David Atkatz 03-12-2014 12:50 PM

I want one. Please?

GKreindler 03-12-2014 02:46 PM

Thanks a lot, guys. :)

Wait, David, you like the '27 Yankees? :):)

pariah1107 03-12-2014 03:02 PM

I believe this is one of your most ambitious works to date, an entire team of very recognizable faces. If not, please share your thoughts.

As always it is astonishing, even in the raw...

CrazyDiamond 03-12-2014 03:39 PM

i am relatively new to the board so this is the first i am seeing these. AMAZING - Great job. These are unreal!!!

almostdone 03-12-2014 07:52 PM

Greg, as always just simply amazing. Any more progress on your book? Probably the closest I will get to owning something of yours.
Drew

Kawika 03-12-2014 11:10 PM

A one-way ticket to Cooperstown.

GKreindler 03-13-2014 09:19 AM

Thanks so much for all of the kind words, everybody. :)

Drew, there hasn't really been much of an update on the book (to my knowledge), but I'm hoping it's still something that's being worked on. Sometimes, Dean keeps me in the dark about a few things, as he knows I can get emotional if they don't work out.

Ty, this one is most definitely the most ambitious painting I've ever attempted. There's just sooooo much going on here. Before, I could say that the large Gehrig farewell paintings took up that slot. In those, Gehrig and Sid Mercer end up being the most important figures in the painting. So, they have to be pretty crisp and their portraits pretty tight. With the other guys, since they stand pretty far back in the composition, I can be a lot looser with them.

Even though this team photo might have the same amount of figures, since it's a straight-up team shot, they ALL have to be fully realized. One can argue that maybe only the 'important' players should be super tight, but I'm of the thinking that each one is just as important as the next, accentuating the team concept.

So, they're 31 main figures in the painting, 30 of which are wearing pinstriped uniforms. If they were all standing, it would be a lot easier, as the stripes would just follow a vertical sweep. But here you have people sitting in chairs and then on the clay. That adds up to a bunch of crazy angles to work with.

Then they're the seats and rails in the background, all of which have to be straight and parallel to each other. And of course, those spectators in the back, all of whom are wearing different clothing and are doing different things with their bodies. There's the unique metalwork of the grandstands, too.

All in all, it's a pretty daunting task. I just hope that in the end, it looks the way I hope it can, and that the client is pleased!

Graig

mark evans 03-13-2014 09:28 AM

Simply remarkable, even unfinished.

I think I need to go back to work as I'm afraid my pension won't stretch to acquire one of Graig's masterpieces.

Mark

Runscott 03-13-2014 09:36 AM

Graig, just let me know when the 1915 Red Sox photo is done. I'm getting impatient with coming back here looking for it, and just seeing this trivial junk - 1927 Yankees? geez....lame.

GKreindler 03-13-2014 09:47 AM

Thank you, Mark. I appreciate the kind words.

Scott, more pinstripes????? GAAAAHHHH!!!!

pariah1107 03-13-2014 09:47 AM

Thanks for your thoughts on the '27 Yankees piece. It is truly remarkable.

Painting runs in my family, in all forms. Our home always had great artwork. My cousin, Tim Fisher is an Associate Art Professor at Grand Valley State who concentrates on dream-like landscapes. His brother, Tim Fisher, invented that Dr. Seuss/preying mantis machine that paints and strips football fields, including the Clink in Seattle. My brother, Rob Phelan, is an art teacher at Shelton High School and his focus is watercolors. As for me, I dabbled but it didn't take, I prefer historical research.

I vigorously defend sports as subject matter and have shared your works with them. They may be coming around. Not to get off-topic but I thought I'd share, here's an example of Tim's work at Springfield Museum of Art:
http://www.springfieldart.museum/?ex...dis-landscapes

Runscott 03-13-2014 09:53 AM

If the Sphinx had ever seen one of your paintings, you know what he would have said:

"Graig is number one. All others are number two or lower."

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 03-13-2014 10:23 AM

Great team painting. It is good to see the effort you are putting into the background - those details are often the difference between good and great.

GKreindler 03-14-2014 10:24 AM

Thank you for all of the kind words, everybody.

Scott, never trust that sphinx. Ever. He's been sitting out in the sun for thousands of years - his brain's fried.

Ty, your cousin does some really cool work. Normally, I'm not huge into the surrealist stuff, but his are a nice exception. It's nice to know that the art bug runs in your family. It does a bit in mine as well, though not through my parents. They were both teachers in the Bronx for 35 years (math and science) and don't really have any artistic bones in their bodies. However, somehow both my brother and I got into drawing and music. He's now a professional musician (classical bassoon and a cast of others), as he really stopped drawing a while back - though he can still tear it up if he was given some paper. Also, my cousin Scott caught something too, as he's currently the writer for Batman at DC, and has become very popular in the past few years. It's nice when we all get together because we just kind of get each other on that level. The triumphs and setbacks seem to make so much more sense that way.

Here are a few more shots I got back from the photographers today:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psf2c043a4.jpg
Ty Cobb, 1909 (I think?), 11" x 14"

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps87ad62f9.jpg
Casey Stengel, April 19, 1938, 16" x 20"

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps600ede20.jpg
Jimmie Foxx, 1929, 16" x 20"

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps74b8165f.jpg
Yogi Berra and Mickey Mantle, 1956, 22" x 26"

The Cobb was an interesting exercise, as at first, I treated it like a normal portrait with flat lighting, but it became a bit uninteresting to me. I thought it would be so much cooler if I could have some of the warm light from the field reflecting and glowing back into Ty's face. So, now the golden patina is much more visually exciting, I feel. I just wish I had an idea of when the image culls from - I think it's '09, but I'm not exactly sure. I could never find any information about it, save what little I can surmise from the image itself.

The Yogi and Mickey image was also an interesting challenge, as it was one of those shots that has bright light and flash photography. So those areas that would normally be darker now have fill light in them. That kind of thing can really flatten out a face, so all of the dimension had to be created with varying temperatures and subtle value shifts. I hope I was successful, as it really did a number on me.

Anywho, I hope y'all enjoy them. As usual, I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments and critiques.

Thanks for looking and reading,

Graig

Runscott 03-14-2014 11:26 AM

My favorite of that group is Stengel - love the uniform colors and you captured his expression wonderfully.

gregr2 03-14-2014 11:31 AM

The Stengel really pops!! Love it. I also like the interaction between Yogi and Mick, makes it much more interesting.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 03-14-2014 11:35 AM

Wow. Those are good looking.

pariah1107 03-14-2014 02:52 PM

Graig, I'll pass the kind words on to Tim. That must be a mean game of pictionary at the Kreindler household.

The eyes of Foxx are brilliant, love that 1,000 mile stare. You really capture emotion well in the moment, and I don't believe 1000 words would do those paintings justice. Thank you, always a pleasure sir.

howard38 03-14-2014 11:06 PM

If the rest of the Yanks come out as well as the Gehrig is coming along that will be one amazing piece. I envy your patience. Intricacies like the pinstripes are part of what made me give up art for art history (that and a lack of talent).

The Stengel is fantastic, right up there w/my favorite five or six of your paintings.

RTK 03-15-2014 10:51 AM

I like them all but the Casey Stengel is particularly stunning in it's color and tint.

Kawika 03-15-2014 11:18 AM

I can smell the cigar smoke.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps74b8165f.jpg
Yogi Berra and Mickey Mantle, 1956, 22" x 26"

sayheykid54 03-15-2014 11:46 AM

The Cobb is my favorite. You masterfully captured his uneasy emotion at the time the photograph was taken perfectly. A great painting.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 03-15-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayheykid54 (Post 1254572)
The Cobb is my favorite. You masterfully captured his uneasy emotion at the time the photograph was taken perfectly. A great painting.

Agreed.

thecatspajamas 03-15-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1254080)
My favorite of that group is Stengel - love the uniform colors and you captured his expression wonderfully.

+1 on the Stengel. The Old Perfessor has never looked more like himself, slumped shoulders and all.

GKreindler 03-18-2014 08:09 PM

Thank you for so many wonderfully kind words, guys. I sincerely appreciate each and every single one of them.

Howard, I tell ya, those pinstripes are gonna be the death of me. It's the one annoying thing about painting Yankees - those stripes can be REALLY rough to tackle.

Then again, I'm also going batty because of the batting net on this one...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psd5801a84.jpg

MVSNYC 03-18-2014 08:43 PM

Graig- the above Gehrig/Ruth is incredible...down to the dirt, which looks real and about to fall off the canvas. awesome, bravo. please keep posting the progress of this one!

Lordstan 03-18-2014 11:11 PM

Graig,
I am running out of superlatives. If you keep posting I'll have to buy a thesaurus to come up with more ways to say these paintings are awesome.

That Gehrig-Ruth is incredible. Is that a commission? If so, they are a lucky dog, whoever it is?

Mark

Bocabirdman 03-19-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKreindler (Post 1255962)
Thank you for so many wonderfully kind words, guys. I sincerely appreciate each and every single one of them.

Howard, I tell ya, those pinstripes are gonna be the death of me. It's the one annoying thing about painting Yankees - those stripes can be REALLY rough to tackle.

What are the chances of you finding a source photo with your name scratched in the dirt in front of Lou?:D:)

GKreindler 03-19-2014 07:48 AM

Thanks a lot, guys.

The Ruth and Gehrig painting is a commission. At first, I didn't think that it was going to be the hardest painting in the world, but it's definitely been quite the challenge.

That net really does leave me cross-eyed. And it's not so much the net itself, but it's the relationship between the net and the material behind it. That tarp-type thingy needs to still be three-dimensional with its curves and all, while still sitting behind something that's obscuring the look of it. And since it's so close to the foreground, it's not something that I can normally compress into two values. There has to be a fuller range, more prominent temperature changes, and then it has to relate correctly to the net pattern that goes in front of it. Actually, just writing this and thinking about it is making my head spin.

Instead, I'll just post what I was working on yesterday, which hurts my brain a lot less.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps4e0b32e1.jpg

Either way, still a lot to be done!

Graig

Runscott 03-19-2014 10:28 AM

Both are fantabulous.

I received my 'Cobb sliding' photo the other day, and will get you a hi-res scan sometime today.

I have a few Jackie Robinson pics that are about as cool.

GKreindler 03-19-2014 10:54 AM

Thank you, Scott. You're the friggin' best.

Graig

Runscott 03-19-2014 11:06 AM

Thanks Graig - would you please tell the other guys? Some of them think I'm a pain in the butt :confused:

Lordstan 03-19-2014 11:43 AM

Scott,
I would be proud of being the friggin' best pain in the butt! :-D
Mark

GKreindler 03-19-2014 11:52 AM

Scott,

You're a good egg, dammit.

Graig

GKreindler 03-20-2014 09:57 AM

Hey all,

I'm also just about done with this guy and thought I'd share:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psd246dc6b.jpg

Maybe I'm just really happy that I was able to follow the Gehrig and Ruth piece up with something that doesn't have a net or a ton of crazy angles. It's just that heavy stare of Grover Cleveland.

I'll be excited to get it photographed once it's glazed and varnished.

Hope ya dig it!

Graig

GrayGhost 03-20-2014 10:04 AM

Wow. Simply Gorgeous Greg. If I ever hit the lottery, I'd own one of these. Ol Pete jumps right out of the painting at you.:)

howard38 03-20-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

I don't know if I'm more impressed with the netting or that skinny rod managing to hold up those two.

GKreindler 03-24-2014 01:12 PM

Howard, I thought the same exact thing. That rod must be made out of the strongest material on earth.

I'm just about finished with this guy, one of the coolest images ever, as far as I'm concerned. As it is, Addie Joss was not necessarily an attractive fella by conventional standards. At the time the photograph was taken, I think he had less than a year of life left in him. Though, with his death being so sudden, I still don't really understand why he looks the way he does (does writing that make me an awful person?).

But I couldn't deny the beauty in this image. The possibilities with the play of light were endless, especially as it related to the wrinkles near his eyes, and the great texture in his sweater. And those teeth!!! And the hair!!

Seriously, this one was so much fun. I can't wait to get it photographed properly.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psc4b3b1d2.jpg

Hope y'all dig it!

Graig

thecatspajamas 03-24-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKreindler (Post 1257951)
Joss was not necessarily an attractive fella by conventional standards

That's putting it mildly! Definitely an interesting image to look at, even if Joss himself isn't easy on the peepers! I love how there is almost as much texture in his face as in his sweater :D I can definitely see how this one would be a blast for you to paint.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 03-24-2014 02:19 PM

Another great one.

GKreindler 03-24-2014 05:10 PM

Thanks, guys!

Lance, it's amazing to think that at the time the original photograph was taken, he was about 30-years old. I guess being out in the sun every day with those short brims didn't really do anything good for your skin. Yowzas!

Graig

Lordstan 03-24-2014 05:14 PM

Dude is fuuuugly. Painting is beautiful.

almostdone 03-24-2014 06:10 PM

Graig,
That Joss is simply amazing. I have become a bit of a art stalker on your web page. I have been passing my iPad around to anyone who will look showing off your work.
I have a few questions though if you don't mind me asking or my ignorance. Do you have multiple pieces you're working on at once or do you just buckle down and do one at a time? Also, how many hours does it take you to finish an average, and I only say that referring to the work load not the ability, piece? Finally, how many hours a day/ week are you working on your pieces?
My wife doesn't care much about my collection but does ask if there is anything new you have posted.
With all awe and respect thank you for continuing this amazing thread,
Drew

GKreindler 03-24-2014 09:15 PM

Hey Drew,

Thanks so much for such kind words. Certainly, feel free to stalk away, or show stuff to your friends. I very much appreciate you doing so.

And why would your questions be ignorant? I'm happy to answer anything you want to ask. Well, anything pertaining to the paintings, maybe not so much where you can get a good recipe for kasha varnishkes (I'm still looking).

Typically, I'm working on a lot of pieces at once. I can spend a few days working on one specifically, but always for an hour or so each day, I'll try to get stuff done on other paintings. And even then, after a few days, I just need a break from the main thing I'm focusing on, so I'll make the appropriate switch. And that might be something that's completely different too, like from an action panoramic to a simple portrait. I just like to have a lot of things in the works, whether its commissioned stuff or for the inventory.

When it comes to how long each piece takes, it all depends on the subject matter and the size. For instance, a 16" x 20" portrait is one of my favorite sizes and subjects to work on. I find that that particular size lends itself so nicely to head and shoulder shots, and I can get into as much detail as I want to. And because they're not usually "game situation specific", they're also somewhat quick to do. I'd say that each one of those takes anywhere between 25-35 hours each. Like the Joss portrait would be closer to the 35 hour mark because of the minutia in his face and the stuff in his sweater. But the Grover Cleveland above it is closer to 25 hours, as most of the little stuff is limited to his face.

The larger paintings usually will take at least double that. They require a lot more research into what's exactly going on in the picture plain. That means that there's a lot more legwork just going into those initial stages, whether it applies to finding out the color of a particular ballpark billboard, or finding out whether it was cold and rainy on the depicted day. The Lou Gehrig panoramic I did last year, for instance, took well over 200 hours. That thing was basically 4 feet by seven feet, had multiple figures, crowds, ballpark features, microphones, pinstripes and tons of other things to make it a slow-going.

Each day, the amount of time I put into actual painting varies. Some of those days, I'm spending 8 hours doing nothing but; others, maybe only 1 or 2 hours. But overall, I'm still working about 8-10 hours each day at the very least. A lot of that time goes to research, reading, prepping, sketching, and even just thinking. To be honest, there really isn't much time in any given day when I can take my brain off of work. It's both a nice thing and a bad thing, as it's something that I'm super passionate about, but sometimes, even I need break. There's that old saying that, "if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life." I think for me, it's half like that, and half like I'm a dog pulling a sled inn the snow all day. It really is hard work. Most nights, I feel like I've been wrestling with a bear.

All in all, it may sound corny, but I still really feel super lucky and incredibly thankful that I'm able to do something for a living that I love, and that others seem to enjoy it.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Thanks again,

Graig

Lordstan 03-24-2014 09:21 PM

Graig,
We are are also super lucky that we can benefit from both watching you do what you love and many of us benefit from owning a piece of what you love to do.
I don't think it's an understatement to say we are all very thankful you are here with us.
Keep on Paintin'

Best,
Mark

Scott Garner 03-25-2014 04:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1257957)
That's putting it mildly! Definitely an interesting image to look at, even if Joss himself isn't easy on the peepers! I love how there is almost as much texture in his face as in his sweater :D I can definitely see how this one would be a blast for you to paint.

You know, Graig and Lance....
I have always been perplexed at Addie Joss and the obvious early degeneration of his appearance for such a young man.

By all accounts, Addie was a highly educated player for his era and did not seem to have any major vices. Those teeth and his looks though, suggest otherwise.

Here are two common earlier images of Addie that were taken less than 10 years earlier. Look at the shocking difference in appearance.

Graig, as usual your talent amazes me. Congrats on your Addie!

GoCubsGo32 03-25-2014 01:38 PM

You made Addie look great! Well....with some helping with shadows and lightning,lol. What an amazing rendering Mr.Graig!

perezfan 03-25-2014 03:10 PM

Incredible depiction as always, Graig :D

Would love to see more actual photos of Joss (in his deteriorated state). Amazingly, the "pre-degradation" photos posted above are not too horrible :confused: :eek:

GKreindler 03-26-2014 06:45 AM

Thanks again, fellas. You sure know how to make a guy feel swell.

The Addie issue is an interesting one, indeed. I just wish that we had more images of the man to see the eventual progression of his life and condition. Images of him are somewhat scarce as it is, and then once you take into account those that are of very high quality, well, they're few and far between. I'm glad that if nothing else, we have a really nice portrait or two (quality-wise) as well as a handful of action shots. The Conlon one that you posted, Scott, has always been a favorite.

Graig

ramram 03-26-2014 07:24 AM

Un-freaking believable to see these works in progress. I almost enjoy more hearing about how the painting is thought out and the progressions. As always, beautiful work Graig.

Rob M.

Runscott 03-26-2014 09:37 AM

I would simply stop here, and call it 'Lou and the Babe, in front of a painting of a net'. This might be my favorite of yours so far.

Quote:

GKreindler 03-28-2014 12:32 PM

Thanks a lot, Scott. I'm pretty happy with it too. I'll be excited to get it photographed.

Speaking of whom, this one's just about ready to go to them, too. And that also makes me happy.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psd48ca880.jpg

It might sound strange, but getting paintings out of the studio and to the photographers is a pretty satisfying experience. It's probably because once they're photographed, I can add them to my portfolio properly. So, in essence, the joy is in building a body of work.

Anywho, I'm rambling.

I am wondering though, do you guys care whether I post in-progress stuff on here? Usually I just limit it to finished and photographed work these days, but all of the sudden, I've been into putting up these things at different points of the journey.

As usual, thoughts are appreciated.

Graig

Frozen in Time 03-28-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKreindler (Post 1259625)
Thanks a lot, Scott. I'm pretty happy with it too. I'll be excited to get it photographed.

Speaking of whom, this one's just about ready to go to them, too. And that also makes me happy.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psd48ca880.jpg

It might sound strange, but getting paintings out of the studio and to the photographers is a pretty satisfying experience. It's probably because once they're photographed, I can add them to my portfolio properly. So, in essence, the joy is in building a body of work.

Anywho, I'm rambling.

I am wondering though, do you guys care whether I post in-progress stuff on here? Usually I just limit it to finished and photographed work these days, but all of the sudden, I've been into putting up these things at different points of the journey.

As usual, thoughts are appreciated.

Graig

Graig,

Great to see the finished product, as I already mentioned - Spectacular!!! So much so that I've been yelling "Hey Mick" at the screen and waiting for him to turn his head to the left and at least acknowledge me!!!

Craig

Wrightfan85 03-28-2014 01:10 PM

Nice work! I can barely draw a stick figure so I always have great admiration for people who can paint.

Lordstan 03-28-2014 03:34 PM

Graig,
The more posts the better. Post'em started, mid-way and complete. It's always interesting to see the journey from start to finish.
Keep up the great work!
Mark

Section115 03-28-2014 04:32 PM

Post it all. Please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecatspajamas 03-28-2014 06:28 PM

I love seeing the works in progress, so the more posts, the merrier I say. Of course, that does present the problem of coming up with more superlatives for all the additional posts, but I think we can manage ;)

GKreindler 03-28-2014 07:06 PM

Thanks, everyone. I just don't want to get to the point where I'm posting stuff and annoying people or whatever. I still can get a bit weird when putting the artwork out there. Even after so many years, dammit!

But seriously, I'm glad y'all wanna see more!

Graig

whitehse 03-28-2014 07:49 PM

A large majority of us want to buy a book of your work or even prints since buying an original is out of our price range. What would make you think we would NOT want to see more? :)

Seriously....keep 'em coming!

GKreindler 03-31-2014 12:32 PM

Fair enough, Andrew. You got it!!

I just got these back from the photographers, so I'll be glad to add them onto the ol' website at some point in the near future. They're not completely color-corrected yet, but they're juuusssttt about there.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psa3d2d21b.jpg
Addie Joss, May 19, 1910, 16" x 16"

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps12f54ecd.jpg
Grover Cleveland Alexander, 1915, 18" x 20"

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psde8bd95a.jpg
Lou Gehrig & Babe Ruth, 1927, 30" x 34"

I hope you guys like 'em. I still have some serious love for that Joss image. Maybe that just makes me weird.

As usual, thanks for keeping up with this thread!

Graig

thecatspajamas 03-31-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKreindler (Post 1260787)
I still have some serious love for that Joss image. Maybe that just makes me weird.

Nah, I don't think that makes you weird. I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead too :D

Still wondering what in the world ravaged Joss's face like that. Seems awful young for it to have been sun damage (that from my armchair doctor's office perspective). Could it have been some kind of STD?

GKreindler 03-31-2014 03:53 PM

When it comes to the expression, I'd like to think that Bain (or whomever) captured him in a really weird moment. What kind of moment that is, I have NO idea.

But his skin looking like leather?? Man, at 30-years old, I have NO clue. I understand the whole playing in the sun with short-brimmed hats, but that's just frikkin' crazy. Any clues as to what Joss did in the off-season?

Graig

Lordstan 03-31-2014 05:08 PM

Joss died of tubercular meningitis. This means he had tuberculosis for a period of time prior to it moving to his central nervous system. In the past, TB was called consumption by the general public. This is because the body's resources are "consumed" by the illness. It could have easily caused a healthy person to waste away. Unfortunately, Joss wasn't anywhere near healthy. He also suffered from malaria during this time period. Even with modern medicine, recovery from either of these things is not assured. Recovery then was about luck.
I'm sure this is all part of why he looks like that

Bobmc 03-31-2014 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A favorite player I followed during the '60's was pitcher, Joel Horlen; likely most remembered for pitching a no-hitter in 1967 against the Detroit Tigers during the heated AL pennant race. Last year, artist Van Martin was commissioned to use his unique style and capture Joe on canvas. Joe was at the unveiling and for all of us there that day, we won't soon forget the experience of seeing the joy on his face.

IMO, the surviving golden age players of the 50's and 60's are living National treasures and I highly recommend showing appreciation to every one of them in any way possible. They were instrumental in paving the way for golden opportunities of today's big league players by coping with the reserve clause during their careers, enduring low salaries (relatively speaking), minimal benefits and they showed courage during arduous fighting for player rights alongside Marvin Miller. The entertainment and thrills those players gave us baby boomers during those years are certainly plentiful.
Attachment 139447
Joe Horlen and artist Van Martin above

Scott Garner 04-01-2014 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 1260873)
Joss died of tubercular meningitis. This means he had tuberculosis for a period of time prior to it moving to his central nervous system. In the past, TB was called consumption by the general public. This is because the body's resources are "consumed" by the illness. It could have easily caused a healthy person to waste away. Unfortunately, Joss wasn't anywhere near healthy. He also suffered from malaria during this time period. Even with modern medicine, recovery from either of these things is not assured. Recovery then was about luck.
I'm sure this is all part of why he looks like that

As covered in Scott Longert's excellent book, Addie Joss King of Pitchers (1998), I would add to Mark's excellent research that Addie Joss and George Mullin co-owned a billiard parlor in downtown Toledo, OH together during this same time period.

Undoubtedly, there was heavy smoking, drinking and late nights going on in this establishment, knowing the time period. It's only an assumption, but I've wondered if these conditions caused the lung infection that ultimately led to Addie's early demise...