NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Default An endorsement of Kevin Saucier's service

Posted By: dstudeba

As has been discussed previously, some collectors have had Kevin review their cards for alteration when they weren't confident alterations were detected by themselves or third party grading services. Since I have very few high grade cards, and even some blatently trimmed cards in my collection that I enjoy, I have never previously thought of using the service.

Recently I had the opportunity to purchase a group of very nice 19th century cards. I was concerned about alterations, and wanted a second opinion despite the fact they were fresh to the hobby. In order to finalize the deal I would need to get back to the other party quickly. I called Kevin Thursday night, overnighted the cards to him Friday, had an informal opinion on Saturday, and a formal opinion on Sunday. I was very appreciative, it helped me greatly, and I would use him again if the opportunity arose.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

I second that. I would be very skeptical about buying an expensive graded card without having Kevin examine it first.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Can he work off of high resolution scans? I am so jittery about sending a $3300 card through the postal system or FedEX.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

will never be able to definitely make assessments on a card's quality. Especially when some of the best analysis (in my mind) can be done by looking at the card out of the holder, by closely examining its edges.

Much like anything else -- a scan is a great starting point, and it may be indicative of shoddy hack jobs, but more sophisticated and "good" looking cards can probably only be vetted propertly through an in-person analysis with the proper tools.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

If your nervous about mailing an expensive card, box it like Fort Knox, & send it via USPS Registered mail. You just need to use that special Registered Mail tape that I can never find.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

Ask for "Carton Tape" at Office Depot, Office Max, etc. You'de think the PO would sell the stuff as it's their requirement for Registered Mail.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 04-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D.C. Markel

Jim,

What do you classify as "expensive"? I recall that you bought a '59 Topps Del Rice PSA 8 for nearly $1,000 on eBay about 9 months ago and a '59 Topps Lee Walls PSA 8 also on eBay several months ago for nearly $1,000. Did you have Kevin examine those cards? If so, what was his opinion of those cards? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Frankly I don't think it's anyone's business what Jim Crandell is buying on ebay and how much he pays for it. How would someone even know that unless they are watching what Jim buys?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ji8mCrandell

Dan,

I was thinking more in the $5,000 range.

Have you sold your 1967 and 1968 sets?

If so why?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

leave Dan alone or we will gang up on you!
Dan's collection is good in that he stepped up and purchased lots of raw cards secure in his own eye and ability to grade and then sent them in to be graded avoiding the concern and need to have others evaluate cards for him prior to purchasing. I can't imagine a stock broker needing someone else to evaluate a 10k report so that the broker then can decide to buy or not! I know Jim, I did deals concerning hundreds of cards with Dan and his eye and buying/selling prowess is unlikely to be challenged by folks with limited knowledge money can not afford~
And yes,Kevin has been very helpful and insightful.

BcD