NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Default Baltimore Shirt Co. What are these???

Posted By: Dave F

Sorry...I know I've posted a few threads the past couple days...been on a bit of a kick trying to find info on some of the more peculiar sets. I was going through a member's site today and noticed they just picked up a Baltimore Shirt Company card. Does anyone have any info on these? They look to be a picture of sorts glued to a piece of paper....am I off? Does anyone know how many are in the set, and who all is in the set?? Anybody care to throw out a value of what these are worth? I'll try to refrain from starting up another thread for a couple days after this...

Old 03-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

1923. Came in accordian style form. Blank back affixed to cardboard backing. Am told SGC will not holder. Value $200-$250.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Thanks for posting that one Zinn. His had alot more of the backing showing...obviously not going to post his card on here, but maybe he'll see this and feel inclined.

I wonder why SGC wouldn't grade these if they are confirmed as an issue? I thought they would holder alot of uncirculated cards to begin with.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Mine has about a quarter sized piece of the backing still attached. Haven't tried to submit it just going by what I was told.

Edit: Seem to recall that SGC will not grade if backing removed. Maybe that's it.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

They probably won't holder them because they were not meant to be taken apart....holdering this issue will only tempt people to destroy intact booklets. I lost out on one of these a year or so back to Veangregg on ebay that was not listed very well....my snipe was too low as usual.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The set has 21 players in it. SGC will grade either ones with or without the backing as AUT. I feel they should be given numerical grades especially if they are going to grade strip cards. Just my biased opinion though...This set is one accordian style strip and is missing the manager, Muehlebach..(These will most likely be in an upcoming Brockelman and Luckey Auction)..regards

Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

IMO grading these would be like grading the end pieces off of a T202. Only the end pieces have advertising on the reverse which leads me to believe they were not meant to be taken apart.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Guess we can agree to disagree. These are not one card they are seperate cards on a strip of paper. IMO they are more individual than strip cards that get numeric grades. I doubt there is a definitive answer but I look at what they put grades on...such as notebook cut outs (I think) and strip cards and feel these should get the same grading standards. With respect to that I have ALWAYS thought strip cards should only get an AUT and not a number, but if they numerically grade one, they should do them all.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

I think we can agree that if they are going to grade them that they be only 'Authentic'. I am 100% convinced this item was not made to be taken apart.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I have one that I sent in and is now graded SGC A.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I agree with Dan 100%. If not in full acordion style then it is a partial card like a T202 end panel.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Administrator

I see how it is now. The Dans ganging up on me. That's ok......I can take my lumps. I'll leave it at agreeing to disagree. BTW, SCD agrees with me as they price them individually....have a good one.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

These are definitely different then T202 end panels in that the actual cardboard cards are separate; they are all affixed to the same paper backing, but categorically different from T202 end panels which are part of the same piece of cardboard and cut into pieces.

Dans - Based on your logic of the grade having to do with how the manufacturer intended the cards to be, are you suggesting that these cards, which are factory cut as separate pieces of cardboard should only have an 'A 'designation, but strip cards, which are cut by the buyer should get number grades?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Administrator

I'm going to go one step further and even disagree with Leon (sorry Boss)

These are NOT like strip cards. These are individual cards that just happen to be affixed to a strip of cardboard. But like strip cards I'm sure that the intention was that they be separated and collected as individual cards.

In separating the cards the card itself is not affected as there is a strip of backing between each card.

To suggest (with all due respect to Dan and Dan) that these are akin to end panels on 202's is ludicrous.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator

I stick by my suggestion that cutting these apart is like cutting T202 end pieces in that neither were intended to be dismantled, and as such they should not be given a grade other than "A" so as not to tempt people into cutting the item up. Can you imagine what would happen to T202's if PSA started slabbing with a grade the pieces???

And for the record I don't think strip cards should be graded anything other than "A" as well.