NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default Buchner Blank Back?

Posted By: Rick

Hello,

While meeting Ted in Reading I asked him if he had ever seen a Buchner card that has a blank back. I then showed him the card in the scan at which point Ted noticed the card was pretty thick so he didn't think anything was peeled off the back. I asked a few others at the show and got one theory that this might not be a card at all but rather a cut out from a larger advertising piece. This theory also stemmed from the fact that the card is on pretty thick stock. Anyone else ever see a blank back Buchner or an advertising piece? Thanks in advance for your consideration. Not sure how to make the picture bigger for you to review.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Hi Rick
Whoever told you that most blank backs are from ad pieces is absolutely correct. I have probably seen close to 100 of them. Many have large black letters across the fronts too. They are on thicker cardboard stock... take care

Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

while i've never seen the ad piece....that's my understanding that the blanks are cut down

Old 03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Back in the 1980's there was a live auction in NYC that offered an uncut Buchner advertising poster. Many of the cards were stamped with some thick black lettering, as an ad was printed across the front. The one you have just missed the overprint, so it looks like a regular issue card, without the back.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Yep, cut from a poster - I would bet I've seen more of the blank backed ad pieces than the regular Buchner cards on ebay in the last year.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Ive actually owned more N284's cut from the ad poster than cards from the packs (because they are cheaper ). They can be found with a blank back and also with the normal ads on back. Most will have portions of thick black letters on the cards from an overprint printed on the poster.

I have pictures of the complete poster somewhere, I'll try to find it.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Wow, that was easy and fast! Hopefully its still worth the $4.00 I paid for it!

I would love to see a picture of a complete ad poster. anyone got one to share?

Thanks to all,
Rick

Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

There must have been a lot of posters circulating, and virtually all of them were cut down. You can also find N28's and N29's with blank backs, likewise cut from advertising banners.

I think the only reason these cards survived at all is that they were cut down to size. The posters easily damaged and at some point would have been "discarded" (good word, don't you think?).

Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

This was in the HOF's Baseball As America exhibit (which happens to be in Phili now):

Old 03-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator

That's a beautiful banner but it is not where these blank backed Buchners typically originate. The uncut sheet I saw some twenty years ago had the block letter overprint, and was a group of baseball cards only.

The banner you pictured only has one row of baseball cards with various other subject matter.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

a sheet but it's been cut but he's worked to reconstruct it. Think it was like 36 cards or something--maybe more..........but it had the black printing that was typically at the top and bottom of the cards. I had a scrapbook that had a dozen or so N284's in it and they all had the printing at top and bottom but they had printing on the back. As was stated earlier, I've seen them both ways............

Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Tom- your new banner looks great. I saw Doug the other day and we were talking about it.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Barry..........great guy. Now I just have to pay him!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Administrator

...for the scan. Still looking for a photo of the sheet Barry mentioned!!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

FYI

The Mets players which are found blank backed are not from the same type of advertising sheet. They are generally even thicker than normal Buchners (or even the ones with the black printed ad lettering) and are found without the black lettering on them. I am sure you can find Mets players with the black lettering, but I have only ever seen Mets players showing these characteristics (thicker and no lettering). So my guess is that the card you have pictured is from that source (whatever it might be) and not from the black clock letter advertising sheet. I am guessing I have seen 15 Mets players like this and no other team, and maybe 100-150 of the ones with the black lettering but cant recall ever seeing a Mets player or St. Louis player (both of which are the teams that have non-generic photos).

Rhys Yeakley