NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Default Pretty Neat..Mr.Cub "Ernie Banks" visits CBOE

Posted By: Neal

Saw this on youtube this am that a friend emailed me.

Pretty neat,wish I was there too meet him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6r5wfzxzW4

Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Hard not to like Ernie Banks.

Compare Ernie, with all his greatness, to the seemingly endless number of truculent (SAT word I was pleased to see on another thread) current and former athletes you find at the stadium and shows, most of whom aren't worthy to clean Ernie's spikes.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

All I can say is that in the mid-late 60s I sent cards to ballplayers -- Aaron, Kaline, Banks, et al --, with a long sincere fan letter, an SASE and a card, and asked for an autograph. I always received the cards back signed, but Banks was the only one who ever told ME, "Thanks." What a guy, made this kid's baseball youth, that's for sure.
Photobucket

Old 03-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Guys,
Ernie is one of the true HOFers as a player and a person. We drove him around at the PGA a few years ago in Chicago, and the fans went nuts... He even had some of the pros coming off of the tees and greens to shake his hand, and that was during the weekend... The man always has a smile on his face and a warm greeting for everyone. I wish everyone was that way, me included. Be well Brian

PS I hope to see him in Chicago again...

Old 03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth McMillan

I got to meet Ernie at Cubs fantasy camp last year. He was getting a little senile, but still a great guy. Several campers and I were in Ernie's hotel room drinking cocktails with Mr. Cub. He asked me "who's your boss?" I said my wife is the boss and called her. He chatted with her for about 5 minutes giving her a hard time Ernie style. To top it all, it was the 25th anniversary of the camp and my team won the whole camp. What a week!!!

Ken

Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

I had the pleasure of working the card show circuit as a teenager. On many occasion, I was the kid who sat next to the guest star that took your money/ticket. Banks stood out as being the nicest...Aaron was my greatest thrill...Mays HANDS DOWN was the worst.

Not sure what he meant by this inscription:

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong