NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2007, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Default Anybody care to dive in deeper with E98 information?

Posted By: Dave F

I've somewhat decided to go as far as I can with an E98 set. I know there are quite a few tough cards in the set...and after doing some back searches on here have found what some of you feel are the toughies. Curious does anyone feel differently about any of the cards at this point? If anyone wants to get deep enough with what colors/player combos may be the most difficult I welcome that information as well.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

Dave, not to highjack the thread, but another question I have about this set is why does it seem like there are SO many examples of cards from this set with paper missing (or flaking off?) from the front? There seem to be plenty of low-condition cards from the set in general, but missing paper seems to be pretty common.

Rob

Old 11-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Do you plan on trying for a Master Set all four color combos? That would be a daunting task. Just ask Tbob who is trying it for the e94's.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Vaughan, Tenney, Coombs, and Kling are considered quite difficult, and one collector who follows the set feels all the commons are tougher than the HOFers.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Check-out this Coombs of mine. I've seen it start to disintegrate in the last few years. And, it's really a shame.....
since Coombs' cards are difficult to find.

TED Z

Old 11-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Ted- That is a shame. What is the card stored in? Could that be the issue? I'm wondering if the cards once slabbed are somewhat more protected, or is there still a chance a slabbed E98 could lose some flakes?

Steve- Ha...no, not going after every color combo. I just find it neat to hear which ones are the toughes in which colors.

I did just pick up Tenney from Toby last night...its trimmed but should still present well in a SGC authentic holder

Old 11-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce MacPherson

I agree that the commons as a group are tougher than the HOFers. Although Walsh is obviously tough and Matty cards do not come up too often. When I was aggressively collecting the cards, I found the Dahlen, McLean and Meyers cards to be tougher than expected. Other than those, Barry gives an accurate list.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

For some reason the E94s and E98s appear to be very condition sensitive, more so than the other caramel cards like e90-1, e92, etc. I have no explanation but I have bought 2 E94s which "imploded" upon release from the card holders and you must also be very careful with the corners as both sets have a tendency to have the color near the border corners "slide" or "flake" off.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Very nice pickup on the red Tenney. I still am in the group that thinks the reds are the toughest.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

I believe Rob A. from this forum is closing in on a master set with all four colors.