NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default Grading cards--setting the value

Posted By: Bill Stone

When submitting cards to be graded how do you value the cards? Let me give you two examples and ask you what to do:
Example 1 -I bought a T210 Series 6 card a year ago for $450. It was in very poor condition but I needed it to complete a series so I paid top dollar -
Example 2-Back in the 1980's I bought a Clemente 1955 Topps in excellent condition ( except for a small red dot on his pants -which appears to be a printers ink thing) OK Seinfeld fans I know what's coming! In any event I paid about $150.00 for it. When submitting these cards say to SGC what do I put for a value --and by stating a value does that effect how well it might grade. Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Bill- I always use as a value my considered replacement value. I know SGC and GAI must scratch their heads when I send them a card which is a little beaten up but has a high listed value but if the card is truly very tough, I figure what it is worth to me, not necessarily SCD's guide.
tbob

Old 07-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

When shipping to SGC/PSA we state values - and pay a premium accordingly - in case of loss or dameage. I assume the grading company files a report, they get paid, then we get reimbursed. Or maybe they reimburse before being paid. Supppse I value a T206 common that has a market value of $50 for $3000 and pay the premium for that insurance tier, would the grading company still reimburse me $3000? If not, then shouldn't I get a refund for selecting too high of coverage?

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 07-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Piccuito

When grading, I always use what I have paid for the item, so I know at least I can get an equal return on my investment if something should happen. When placing an order for your cards shipping costs can get expensive, so if you write down the true SMR or SGC value you may pay double or triple for shipping.

Jimmy

Old 07-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Hoping to piggyback on related, relevant topic rather than hijack...

If you submit cards for grading at a show, are you expected to bring in a submission with all paperwork filled out (and possibly packed in a box)? or do they have all the paperwork there for you to fill out?

figures to be a great way to save on shipping costs, right?

AND...then how/why do stated values matter???

Thanks to all !

Old 07-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Andrew - I would think you would have to justify the card's value in
case the package was lost. If they graded the card a PSA-1 or SGC-10
and its a common T206 w/ common back worth about $20. No way are they
going to compensate you for a few thousand as you valued it.
The Post Office works the same way, you must show proof that the lost
package is worth x amount. If I sell a card on eBay of $75 and its insured
for $200, you must show proof that its worth $200 like a receipt from
Paypal from the winning bidder. They do not just hand you a payment for $200.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

But Mr. Piccuito, what about this situation; I have 16 Star Player Candy cards from 1928 which I want to get graded. This represents 22% of the set. Three of the cards are Hall of Famers (Sewell, Speaker, Traynor) and one is unique and wasn't known until I came to this board and showed a scan of it (Buddy Myer). I paid $3 to $5 dollars a piece for these a little over 10 years ago.

Right now, they are in hard plastic top loaders in the safety deposit box. I would like to get them graded so they are protected better but also because if something were to happen to me, my Mother and Nephew (I am Single with no kids) would know what these are and it would be easier for them to sell if they had to.

Of the players I own, I have only seen the Speaker offered for sale. They wanted $900 for it and it was in VG'ish condition. The SCD big book said that card in VG was valued at $600. I have a $1,000 dollar standing offer for one of the commons from the set because a person collects this player and does not have a Star Player Candy card of him.

A couple of years ago, a Jesse Haines card sold on eBay for a little over $400 dollars. More recently, a George Kelly card graded PSA 3 sold on eBay for $869.99. Then there was an SGC 20 Hack Wilson which just sold in the last Mastro Auction for $763 (not including the juice). Three Hall of Fame players selling for more than book price. Then there is the Myer card.

One collector supposedly has 71 of the 73 cards in the set but does not have Myer (obviously since it is, so far, a unique card). What would he or some other person pay for it?? The Big Book lists it as a common but is it really a common??

I have puzzled over what to do about this situation for six months just because of the valuation question. If I don't value them high enough and they are lost, stolen or damaged in transit, then I wont get enough money back to replace them (I know, good luck trying). Then again, if I value them too high, then the cost of grading goes up.

Unlike most on this board, I do not have a lot of money (at least right now) and these cards are some of the centerpieces of my small Pre-War collection.

So, what do I value these cards at?? What I bought them for ($3 to $5 dollars each)?? SCD Big Book guide value?? Big Book for the commons and Big Book + 1/3 for the HOF'ers?? I don't know. So, they continue to sit in the bank.

David

Old 07-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Jason, they will have all the forms available at whatever show you attend. They can help you fill out the forms if needed. You can also fill out the forms in advance.

The assigned value affects the grading tier. I've found there is room for some give and take there. If you pick the "same day" or "next day" option you can certainly save plenty on shipping, as well as gaining some peace of mind by eliminating temporary third party possession of expensive cards.