NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default Another auction ended early...

Posted By: mark

It says the seller ended to sell it to the high bidder. Why would they end it 2 days early and possibly get more for it. Also a $9,000 card in that type of holder. By the time it gets to them it will be downgraded because of all the bouncing around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-T204-RAMLY-WALTER-JOHNSON-PSA-4-VG-EX_W0QQitemZ140079086974QQihZ004QQcategoryZ31718QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

which is possible, they may have done an offline transaction for a different amount so the seller only has to pay ebay on the 9k. looks to me with all the bidding activity and recent T204 Johnson sales prices he would have gotten quite a bit more had it ran.

Scott

Old 02-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

i thought the hunt sgc40 looks better and that ended at 6.9k w/bp. i was gonna go 9-9.5k based off that but I guess I'm way off and shoulda pushed the hunt harder. are there any other recent sales? my membership to vcp expired

Old 02-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I'm sure he is going to hear about that. I'm sure he left money on the table. Probally 3-5 snipe bids were already set much higher than the 9K ended price. Probally will taint his auctions for high end items as well for the future....

Old 02-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Administrator

A T204 Johnson SGC 60 went for $43,000 in 12/2005.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

mastro also had a psa5 johnson in the last auction, don't remember the ending price. the seller prolly got an 11k offer and he took it

also don't forget if the buyer is willing to pay via check/mo that saves him another $500(?) in fees. the seller probably sees all the bidding activities so he's no dummy.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That SGC 60 that went for 43K sounds more like an aberration, probably the result of two people who stubbornly fought it out and refused to give up. I don't think that's a fair appraisal of an EX, and it likely wouldn't happen again.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Administrator

It went for $23,000 on 12/06

Old 02-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bill

should I get it graded and what value about in you est.
bill

Old 02-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

If you're looking to sell it you should definitely get it graded IMO or you will leave money on the table. I have no idea on value but that is a very nice card.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott S

Guys, I believe the card was relisted..

Old 02-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I noticed the T204 Johnson has been relisted. Seller notes he wasn't the one who ended the sale early. I wonder if this is another case of someone hacking into ebay again?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-T204-RAMLY-WALTER-JOHNSON-PSA-4-VG-EX_W0QQitemZ140081946335QQihZ004QQcategoryZ31718QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Patrick

Old 02-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Fishy at best...Maybe the guy backed out of the deal and he put it back up. No real explanation.

Edited to say: He has a reserve bid now.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

I think he re-listed it because somebody convinced him that he left a lot of money on the table and he backed out of the deal.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DR

'THIS CARD HAS BEEN RELISTED. THE AUCTION WAS ENDED EARLY PREVIOUSLY BUT NOT BY THE SELLER. HOPEFULLY WE CAN LIST THIS ITEM AS NORMAL THIS TIME. WITHOUT ANY OTHER DISTRACTIONS.'

Who is this clown? The item was ended early but not by the seller? Well...then who ended it early? Was the account compromised? Distractions? It seems like the seller is to blame for any distractions. Try the delete button or a thank you but no thank you reply. The highest priced item previously sold by the seller was $100 or so. If you are seriously considering this card, figure a $500 plane ticket to pick up the card in person and Paypal on the spot. I doubt Paypal (eBay) would refund your $ if this was a scam and you get taken for $15 - $25 large. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

A interested buyer emailed him and gave an offer, he accepted and either the buyer backed out or another bidder told him just how much he might get for it. He relisted it and put a reserve bid in for that price. You have to give the guy credit, he has 100% feedback and over 250 + feedbacks. Who knows, i just can't wait until the end of this auction.

P.S. needs a better holder---SGC all the way.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DR

Another prediction...someone is going to place a high enough bid to expose the reserve and then retract the bid. Maybe an auction house will contact the seller and convince them eBay is the wrong place.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

I say it ends up going for $15,000.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I think I hear the calls for the 3rd "The Vintage Baseball Card Forum" contest....
Would be interesting..
Brian

Old 02-04-2007, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

guys- i don't know the seller, BUT thbis is the same thing that happened to me a few weeks ago...my eBay account was hacked into, and 2 of my 5 auctions was ended early and FAKE second chance offers was sent out...account COMPROMISED!!! this is scary stuff here...ti called ebay immediately, the credited my account, and said they are working on these security problems...and advised me to change my password often...

p.s. a few weeks ago when you all were listing your eBay user ids & emails...in hind site, probably not the smartest thing...notice i only give out my email to those that needit...be careful guys...

Old 02-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

and I don;t think he would have backed out of the deal.

Scott

Old 02-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator

his Ebay account and did a job on his listings. I just got a email from ebay that the guys account was hacked into and they canceled the listing. Too bad, i was hoping to see what it ended up selling for.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

So a new scam to be leary about.. Now if you win a high end item.. You have to make sure you are paying the correct seller. I bet he got a ton of e-mails telling him he messed up by ending it early.. Poor guy... I hope he gets everything worked out and gets good money for it in the future...

Old 02-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I'm the seller of the T204 Walter Johnson PSA 4. Thought everyone should know what happened in detail. My ebay account was unfortunatley hacked into. Here is the actual message I was sent in my ebay messages:

Hello,
My name is Mark O'nill. I am interested in your item.The problem is that i am a litle confuse because i've seen another item exactly like yours.Please take a look: http://........................ ; Please let me know your last price.

I clicked on the link to look. It came up to the ebay login screen. Without thinking it through, I typed my username and password in. This is when they captured my password. I didn't realize what had happened until I went to check my listing and saw that it was ended early (not by myself). I also had questions from ebayers in my ebay messages about listings I had not listed. I changed my ebay/e-mail account passwords notified ebay via e-mail and relisted the Walter Johnson. I later went to check on the Walter Johnson listing and ebay had ended the auction. Ebay thought that the auction had been listed by someone other than me after reading my e-mail and locked my account to investigate.

This has been frustrating and definitely a learning experience for me. But I have relisted the card and my account is now as normal. I do appreciate your patience and interest. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Thanks for that explanation...and I have to say that if ebay doesn't start improving their security, there are going to be some really serious problems down the road.

And everyone balked when Leon wanted to run a Net54 auction as a substitute for ebay.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

I agree that ebay needs to take a look at their security. I have been with ebay since 98 and this has been my first security experience.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Administrator

i thought ebay did a good job here. i don't see how ebay's security was the issue. the seller got a spam mail, he clicked in and entered his ebay id/password. i'm sure if someone wanted to they can write up a goodwin, mastro, rea outbid notice with a link and the same thing could happen.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

I agree... I should not have clicked the link and typed in my id/password. Not sure if it is possible for ebay to filter messages for links with keyloggers embedded.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Regardless of whose fault it is, there are too many spam emails out there with ebay's logo or paypal's, and sooner or later people will just not think and type in the requested information. I did it once about a year ago when I got a message from paypal, and I spent the rest of the day closing all my credit card and bank accounts. I just wasn't thinking and it could happen to anyone.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

wow -

I just received an email that looks exactly like one of those "messages from eBay member" emails.

here is the message:
Hi,
Have you make the payment?Please respond me!!!
I need to know because i have shipp the item.

Kind regards
Debbie

Any link I click on brings me to the "eBay" login page.

The item link, the respond now link, even the link below the message: "Learn how you can protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails at:".

How ironic is that... the learn how to protect yourself from spoof emails link is a spoof link to rob my account info.

This email looks 100% authentic. But it is not. The url when clicking on a link does not even say eBay. Which is surprising - they are usually able to still make it look like an eBay url.

The login page looks great too.

These guys are getting good.

Of course when I open up my own browser window and type in eBay.com and sign on.... I didn't 'win' any auction they are talking about. And, not surprisingly the item number is not even for the item they describe.

I will say - these people are getting good.

Be careful as always. Never click on a link to sign into eBay or PayPal.

Regards,
Joe

Old 02-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I simply delete all "ebay" and "paypal" emails and only go directly to their respective pages to check messages, etc.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Just received this message in my ebay messages almost exactly the same as the last time: Hello, My name is Mark Cruise. I am interested in your item.The problem is that i am a litle confuse because i've seen another item exactly like yours.Please take a look: http://....... Please let me know your last price.

And yes, I definitely did not open the link this time.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Administrator

yet another fake eBay email...

just received one which said my account was suspended because my credit card on file was not valid? i deleted and called eBay, they said my account is fine...they are aware of the problem, and it is tuff to beat these scammers, but they are working on it.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Michael- I get emails from paypal and ebay all the time telling me if I don't forward them updated information they will suspend my account. I delete them immediately. Once, however, I sent the information to what looked like a real paypal email, and found out that within a few hours someone in Europe was trying to withdraw money from my bank account. I spent the day closing all my accounts and will never answer any of them again.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

wow, we all have to be so careful.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

I guessed $15,000....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140083038288&rd=1&rd=1