NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default E106's - Rare or Unpopular?

Posted By: Will

Trying to put my first grading submission together around some long work days. Trying to find general info on E106's - very few posts, 1 common sale on ebay. Rare or just not well loved? Estimated value of a low-mid range HOF as a nice 10?
Thanks - Will

Old 11-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I think its a little of both. They are scarcer than most of the popular caramel sets. I like them because they are one of the few sets that has Federal League Players. IMO If it was a unique brand (not American Caramel Co.) and didnt have the same photos as many other sets, they would be much more in demand .

Old 11-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

The overall quality of e106 leads to lower demand, lower prices, and lower condition survivors, but also less examples overall which makes the set uncommon.

The images are slightly distorted compared to their counterpart poses found in different sets.

Rob

Old 11-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Here is what Old Cardboard says:

Year(s) Published: 1915
ACC Designation: E106
Set Name: American Caramel
Card Size (inches): 1-1/2 x 2-3/4
Number of Cards in Set: 48
Est. Value (common; VG): $65

This puts them at the chronological tail end of most of this type of cards. They appear to be both not very common and not very pricey. This status may be due in part to the set not having new poses, simply modifications showing and simulating team changes. The set does reflect the Federal League, and for some reason "they" think that Wagner was a second baseman.

After this set the b&w cards and the strip cards were the primary cards available (well, also after the CJs).

Old 11-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Will

Thanks for the info - boy that was quick! Mine is a Federal Leaguer (Baltimore), given as a gift many years ago. It may hit the b/s/t, so enough said by me.
Wll

Old 11-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby

After tracking eBay for over a year and every major auction house you just don't see that many E106's come up for auction in a graded format. We have price information on 13 of the 48 cards in the set. Most of the auctions are for cards in the lower end of the grading scale SGC 10 & PSA 1. So to conclude they don't come up for auction very often so they must be very hard to find and the highest graded card we have is a PSA 4 so getting them in pristine condition would be practically impossible.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Your conclusions Bobby, apply only to graded cards, correct? The ungraded population, its distribution and pricing is not among the data which you have ready access to - is that also correct?

No harm/no foul here.
No misleading either.

Edited to add:

I certainly do not mean to infer that you would mislead anyone. Heck, what would be your motivation to do that? I know that you are all about helping us, and have expended a tremendous amount of effort, and have met with a tremendous level of success in accomplishing that objective.

I thank you for what you have done, and for the resource which you offer to all of us, both the free resource and the pricing/etc. subscription one.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i've had a few e106's in my life and 2/3 of them were trimmed. my remaining collins is beat to hell. I think they're rarer than we think...comparable to t216's.

pete in mn

Old 11-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

Alot of the images in this set were used from previous sets.I think this would be one reason collectors aren't as keen to this collection.I've handled a fair amount of these cards (years ago),so I'm quite fond of them.Since then,I haven't seen very many of them,so I would have to say that it would be both.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Donald Johnson

My 2 cents,

Love the set, love the team changes. I believe more collectors who collect "high end" cards do not appreciate the set because you rarely find the cards in any condition higher than "Fair." Additionally, as mentioned earlier, the frequency with which they turn up makes completing the set quite difficult and probably frustrates many collectors.