NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Default T206 book- Art & Doug

Posted By: wade

Does anyone know what happened to the book that was being written by Doug A and Art M on the T206 set? I have re-read some of the posts from almost three years ago and can't find any mention of it since. It was my understanding that it was basically complete. It sounded like it was going to be a great book and if memory serves me it was ready for publishing. I wonder what happened?

Old 10-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Counter

They are waiting for the official Bruce Dorskind press release

OUCH!

Old 10-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

From what I heard, there was an irreconcilable difference of opinion over a particular card that prevented publication.

Old 10-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

the trimmed, er allegedly trimmed, Wagner in the PSA slab? Or the ever controversial Ira Thomas?

Old 10-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Not to steer this thread away from the book itself, but what's the story with Ira Thomas?

Richard.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PullOver

Is this an authenticated, or unauthenticated Threadjack?

Old 10-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Officer -- I'm not 100% sure which one it is. I'll call it an authentic thread jack just to be safe

Now back to this book -- all the past threads suggest it was a issue with regards to the cost of printing (and thus the reduced earning potential).

Did they ever mention the possibility of releasing it electronically? I realize this has distribution implications, but the cost would be peanuts. And I'm sure enough people would buy it that they'd still make more money than the book is making them right now...

Richard.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Administrator

It was my understanding that this book contained unique photos as well as information about the printing process. Does anyone have contact with either of these two gentleman? It seems as though once a contributer to this board is employed by Mastro, or any auction house, they are never heard from again (with the exception of Barry). All that information would be an incredible waste.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

not in this day of self-publishing. I know lots of authors (including me) who self publish quite happily.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Administrator

I wanted to refresh this in hopes that someone knows something... anyone?

Old 10-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

When I originally published my article on "t206 errors", a concern was that Doug and Art's book would come out right about the same time and I would look like a doofus...it's been years now!

There has been a lot of speculation and discussion about t206's since then and I'm sure this book would not only present us with some of the "better grounded" theories about the cards' origins, but would also provide tremendous discussion opportunities.

I'm still psyched about it and hope to hear positive news.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The finished text exists, and MastroNet has decided to not publish it. Cost is not an issue for them. About once a year someone asks when the book is coming out, and people say don't hold your breath. It's an issue I wouldn't worry about, as it doesn't appear that it will come out in the near future.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

My post may not pertain to this book, but I have searched around the site and cant't find an answer to a t206 question. Anything that is not Sweet Cap or Piedmont is rare according to the SMR, but Old Mills, Polar Bears and El Principe's seem to appear far more often than the Cycle or Drum backs as an example. Is there any written or website detail as to the actual rarity of the various t206 backs? No where have I seen PSA or SGC list volume of the graded backs. Is there data available in any publication or website as to percentage breakdown to the backs?

Old 10-21-2005, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

t206museum.com is in the vintage links portion of the forum.
the site has pricing (not sure how accurate it is) and back multipliers that serve as a good guide.

Old 10-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I enjoyed the site. That is what I was looking for.