NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Default Welcome to new members

Posted By: nationalsportscards.com

We are offering sports card collectors a site to allow for the free exchange of cards without the fixed costs and listing costs on eBay and similar pay services. Please take a moment to have a look at our site. We have a focus on vintage cards:

http://nationalsportscards.com

There are no costs to list cards for sale. Even if you are offering your cards up for auction on a site like eBay, consider putting your inventory listing at National Sportscards in the meantime.

At this time our database consists of baseball cards from 1887 - 1979. We have sent selective emails to those who we have noticed to be collectors of vintage cards. We are adding room for modern cards and other sports.

Our site has a reward point system to keep track of those who are regular contributors. As the site grows, we desire to turn our members into owners of the site.

Old 03-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Memorabilia and autographs?
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 03-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

I just joined but there is nothing there, site looks nice but that is about it. if it catches on I will return. Maybe you can explain how it works and how it is suppose to make money. What little I could find was way overpriced mediocre cards.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nationalsportscards.com

We have no immediate plans to expand the site beyond sportscards. At this time, users are able to offer for sale any baseball card 1979 and prior. We are in the process of updating the database to include cards from 1980 - present and will shortly add a feature for other sports.

There has been alot of interest in the site thus far. We have received many questions on the search and browse capabilities. Please note that the most detailed search results can be found using the SEARCH feature. The search feature should be used primarily when searching for cards. The BROWSE feature is mainly for set checklists with additional feature of showing the number of cards offered for sale, if any, in that set.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Howie

What fraud prevention measures will be used in your system to make it a safe place to trade? Is there a special screening process to help control the quality of your users? Who's responsible if somebody gets ripped off? How do you plan to control and monitor the sale of possible fake or doctored cards offered on your system? How do I get a retaliatory negative reward point removed?

Old 03-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I don't know about you guys but this could easily replace the B/S/T thread for the vintage cards. I have bought 3 T206s off the site trransaction not totally complete have had good communicaations with the seller. I plan on listing my cards there before ebay, why pay them if you can find a buyer at no cost. As far as any protection, Do we have any from ebay or our own B/S/T thread?

I say give it a chance this could be a great resource and it doesn't get any cheaper than free!!!!!

I will continue to look and start posting more cardss when I get a chance. You can even use me a refernce.

Lee

Old 03-19-2005, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

Hello,

I have the same question that Robert raised regarding how the site will make money. You said that you envision the founding members to become owners of the site, how will that work?

I also agree with the fraud issue. I think any successful site would need to have measures to insure the right people get in and the wrong people stay out. That is one of the huge problems with areas like ebay where anyone can list anything. Lots of people get burned. I would suggest a system where you start with established, repected members and have that grow through thier recommendations and approval. It will take longer to grow the membership but at least you would have a quality membership.

Harry

Old 03-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

If you haven't already checked this site out, you should. Keep in mind, they are just starting out and have been very open to suggestions and they do not have all sets in their database. If you don't see a set there that interests you, let them know and they will get right on it.

For me, this is a great place to store and maintian my wantlist. My only complaint with the site so far is that you have to know what year the set is from that you are looking for, but they told me they looking into a way to get around this for vintage sets. As Lee mentioned, this could easily replace our B/S/T thread as far as cards go. It really is worth checking out.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Administrator

My first transaction is complete and all is good. I plan on posting my cards there when I have some ready to sell.

Lee

Old 03-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Even though our B/S/T thread is undergoing some changes, it is up and running, and for the time being a great place to list cards to be bought, sold, and traded. I have made numerous successful transactions there and plan on posting some more on there. Post a hot caramel card, or OJ, and see how long it takes to get responses. I guess about 1 minute. This new site might be good in the future but I still wonder where the revenue is coming from...or is it just a 6 figure salary like this moderator job ?

Old 03-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

They make their profit by selling in volume.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Administrator

That's what I tell all of my customers " I lose money on every sale but make it up in volume " regards

Old 03-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

I tried going there today and it's not loading...I was going to try it out and post some cards. Anyone else having the same problem.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Hobson

I was there and posting a card, it is working for me. Check your connection or perhaps try again.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leonl

I like the site but still want to know how they will eventually make any revenue. Can someone please answer that? Otherwise the short term free card buying and selling won't be so hot when there is some revenue needed. Unless this site is like my moderator job then I don't see the long term strategy. HOW WILL THIS SURVIVE WITH NO REVENUE? Is whomever is running the site just an addicted collector like me? regards all

Old 03-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Works on my end. I plan on listing some more cards this evening.

I also would like to know how this site is going to function in the future. Great idea and I hope it works.

Lee

Old 03-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hmmm

Just a thought.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Administrator

They can't make any gaurentees against fraud anymore than eBay can or Leon can here with our B/S/T. Buying and selling on the internet is still the wild wild west, and until eBay gets hammered in a major lawsuit, nothing is going to change. This site's only real concern is how it's going to generate revenue, not protecting people from fraud. That's up to each buyer under current laws.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sounds Good to me

Old 03-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Neither Net54 nor myself take any responsibility for any transaction on this B/S/T thread. Proceed under caveat emptor... It's merely a venue just like our dear friend Ebay. ..regards

Old 03-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Damn!

Any thoughts Jay?

Old 03-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Well, there is a new shark movie, so I'd be worried about getting back in the water too.

Jay

Old 03-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: National Sportscards

Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to join as members of our site and begin to use it. I would like to take a moment to address some of the messages that have popped up in response to the initial message we left on the forum.

The seeds for this site are rooted in a deep enjoyment in sports card collecting, an enjoyment for the art of web-programming, and a desire to build an alternative and more sports card orientated format for individuals and dealers to use to sell and buy cards than is available elsewhere while also trying to avoid the non stop escalation of fees one experiences with ebay and paypal.

The costs of running the website are minimal and are not a signifigant barrier to keeping the website growing. We made some comments here about a desire to turn the members to owners and have established a reward point system to keep track of those who signifigantly participate in the growth of the membership and card offerings. It is said that most successful sites have areas for revenues and/or profits, with advertising being an example of this. If any meaningful revenues should ever materialize, we would like to have some formula in place to convert the reward points to some form of ownership and profit sharing. Obviously, whether any revenue will ever materialize is unknown and certainly not possible in the immediate future. We will not, however, charge members these listing fees and final value fees the way ebay so discouragingly does to its members to list cards for sale.

As on ebay and all other websites of this nature, we are not involved in the transactions and do not and cannot give warrany to any members. We are simply trying to create a venue for people to offer their cards for sale and for purchases of those cards to have a forum to view these offerings in a central place. Hopefully as transactions take place a feedback system will develop which will be similar to that of ebay and trust will grow among users. we are thinking of adding some sort of network similar to that seen on www.linkedin.com where members can "informally vouch" for each other and creating some sort of point system there also and are open to feedback and suggestions on that.

The goal is to create a great, very focused site on our hobby. We ask anyone with good ideas to forward them to the email at the site. We have already made some changes and additions to the site based on feedback from members of this forum.

We started with a very pointed and focused search function which is great for a site with thousands and thousands of cards to sift through, but yeilded no search results for a new site like ours. We have since added more broad search capabilities using 10 year time periods as well as the American Card Catalog (ACC) classifications to search an entire 'type' such as 'T' for 20th Century Tobacco cards. Thank you to Jay Behrens for that great suggestion.

We feel the want list is a great feature and as the site grows, and as cards are offered for sale, though who use the want list will get an automatic email each time a card on their list is offered for sale. This is something not available on ebay and other similar sites. If we can reach a critical mass, we may also add auctions.

I hope this answered some questions that have been appearing.

If you like the site we have built, please spread the word! We are getting many new members but thus far most are there to buy. Please take the time to join the site and post your cards for sale. There is nothing to lose, your cards get more exposure, and it costs nothing! Enjoy!

Old 03-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Administrator

I just wanted to note that I went ot list my T3s there last night, only to find out there was no category. I emailed them of the fact and within a hour the T3 category was up and running. Keep up the good work.

It would be nice if you had some type of template for selling.

Lee

Old 03-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Hobson

I have been since the beginning of the month and think its great.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:01 PM
Administrator

A really neat feature of this site is that if you fill out a want list, when a card on your want list is posted for sale, you get an automated email informing you of the listing. Very nice touch and just landed me 2 cards a nice price.

Jay

Old 04-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Administrator

We have added the ability to sell multiple lots from the same set year. This is something that has been widely requested and is now "live" on the site.

Old 04-24-2005, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Great site. They are very open to suggestions and if they don't a have a set in their database that you are looking for, they will have it added in a day or two.

I've been able to sell cards there tht didn't get a bid on eBay. I recommend everyone check it out and give it a try. It's just in it's infancy, but it wouldn't hurt to try and list things there first before going to eBay. You'd save a ton on fees if the cards sell there.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-24-2005, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

I just checked out that site as per Jay's advice...

From a buyer's perspective this site could hold some real value, too. If you 'Browse by Set', for example, you can get a checklist of a particular set and all of the available cards are underlined. Clicking on a particular single reveals all sales available of that card. If this site takes off that'll be a GREAT way to compare your options when considering purchasing certain singles.

Richard.
http://www.richardarmstrong.ca

Old 05-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Old 09-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Just a follow-up to this previous posting about our site. Our membership has been steadily growing. We are now over 1200 members with over 4300 cards offered for sale.

If you have not been to our site in a while, give us a second look.