NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Default Complete or near-complete N172 player sets?

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

A short time back one of our illustrious board members (Lee Behrens), asked how many collectors on the board had complete or near complete T206 sets. I thought that was a cool thread and I wanted to revisit it,only this time I want to know about N172's. So here it is:

How many collectors on the board have near or complete (according to the known checklists) N172 Old Judge player sets?

*For those not in the know, I asked about player sets only, as there is no such thing as a complete N172 set due to the seemingly endless variations.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Given that the card pulled from the OJ pack a few years back is unique, as I am sure several other players are, I highly doubt anyone has a complete set and would be very surprised if anyone is even with 10 cards of being complete. I'd say anyone that is within 25 cards of being complete is doing pretty darn good.

I had a hard enough time getting one card of every Minneapolis and St Paul player, I can't imagine pursing one of every player and hoping to get anywhere near completion. This coming from a guy who wants one card of every major leaguer that appeared on a from 1908-1945, lol.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Adam, do you mean the complete "known" player set?

It would be so sad to complete a player set only to find out that there is another player that was discovered and you can't have it because someone else attempting to complete the set has it and wont part with it. Could you imagine having the only complete set (or one of the only complete player sets) only to find out it wasn't really complete because a new player popped up out of the blue? I guess it could be considered an N172 collector hazard.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Yes, "known" players set. Previously undiscovered or unique cards is one of banes of N172 collecting. I imagine it's even more so with Zeenuts , as new cards still pop up. I'm sure there are likely no complete player sets, but I'm guessing at least two or three people should be within 25-30 cards. I just wanted to get an idea of who was close.

Jay the SGC 98 N172 that I think you are referring to is of Alcott, Mansfields which while unique in it's grade and possibly the pose, is not to my knowledge a unique N172 player card. I beleieve David Levin had a couple of ALcotts in his inventory not too long ago.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

It may be that the Mansfield designation is unique then. Even if someone were to try and put together one card from each team it would be almost impossible. Getting one of the CA league cards would be a serious stumbling blaock for most people.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I think if someone tried to start from scratch right now they would have a real hard time trying to complete a known players set.They would need to buy a large collection from an established collector.Theres certain players who if their cards popped up would cause a bidding war into 5 figures,so if you wanted to try to get all of the know players it would cost well into 6 figures and alot of time.

Getting a card from every team isnt impossible because its been done but there is 2 teams which only 1 example is known so unless other cards show up there will be only one complete team set.Some teams only a handful of examples exist so even getting close is a chore.I am willing to stop 9 short of the complete team set which im just 4 short of.Anyone got an extra Mansfield card? Ive seen 2,i know of another one so its not a unique team card.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

The single largest obstacle by far is the California League subset with 17 different players currently known to exist. I believe some of these players are unique (only one known copy of the card). Then I'd estimate perhaps another 20 players that are difficult but certainly collectable including some of the script cards and certain 1888 (Fb) cards and even a couple 1889s to boot.

If you are only after one copy of each player, that takes difficulty away from trying to find certain pose rarities such as the Anson in uniform and the Deacon White portrait (McGreachery error). Similarily, no concerns over trying to find 1890 Players League / National League variations.

Total # of players stands at 519 (512 + 12 - 5)
512 = last World Index Listing
12 = number of cards listed between 1-512 as a xxx.5
5 = number of world index numbers that were skipped (57, 169, 219, 256, & 307 - previously listed as McGreachery which is now listed as a pose for Deacon White)

I'd guess that maybe 3 collectors have hit the 500 player mark, perhaps another dozen have hit 400 players. Our very own board member, Alan Sassoon, is nearing 75% completion on SGCs registry and I believe he is less than two years into collecting them, but like anything else will become increasingly difficult to add to.

But, there are so many ways to collect the cards. As most of you know, I collect the members of the 1887 Detroit Wolverines. 9 players were represented in 1887 on the "0" numbered cards amongst 28 poses. I'm down to 6 poses to complete all 28 (note that the "0" numbered cards are easier to collect and somewhat popular since they cover all 8 National League teams + Brooklyn).

If you want to talk poses, on average, there are just under 5 poses per player. Some players are represented with a single pose, with Dorgan taking top honors with 17 different poses all first issued in 1887. It should be noted that in many cases there is little correlation between # of poses and rarity of the player.

I always thought it would be fun to pick one of the plentiful 1887 New York players with a lot of poses such as Deasley (14), Dorgan (17), Mattimore (11), etc. and try to complete all the poses.

I could go on and on . . . , but it's Friday night.

Old 06-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Joe,

Please continue, it's Friday night and I'm all eyes and ears. Actually, I wouldn't care what day of the week it is.

Great thread with great information - just what this forum is supposed to be about.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Don J

Don't forget the collector who now owns Trevor Hocking's old collection.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

I'm at 491 players and 1960 poses, hoping to outlive everyone else.