NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2005, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Ted

Old 04-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: leon

Levi's not a bad guy he just gets a little honery sometimes. He always has a wide assortment of nice PSA stuff that I don't care about (50's and 60's etc) but does occasionally have older stuff too. I do know one board member that he didn't treat too well and that board member will never let him forget it. Scott B. and I rent our cases from him at each National and he's always been nice and cordial to me. I have no issues with him. take care....

Old 04-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: john/z28jd

I think theyre slightly overpriced(maybe 10% higher than ebay) but they have a wide assortment of cards,including a good number of t206s.I bought a couple high priced ones off them late last year and i talked on the phone about t206s for a half hour with him.If you want a Mickey Mantle card theyre the ones to see,they will have triples in any grade you could want

Old 04-13-2005, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Default .

Yeah, Levi has always been cordial to me, somewhat impersonal, but nothing that would make me want to lean one way or the other with him. Just trying to get an idea of how other people feel about it.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Julie

Believe it or not, that's not O/T!

Old 04-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: dan mckee

Levi and Jimmy are good long time friends and great to deal with. Dan mckee.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Bob Marquette

Why does the Jackie Robinson have an "x" on the back and what does it have to do with 707 Cards?

Old 04-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I'm guessing that she bought the card from them and they did NOT disclose the presence of the "X" on the back...

and did not refund her money when she asked for it back.

But I'm just guessing.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Julie

and a variation B (this is also true of the Mantle and one other card). Variation B, the one I wanted, has darker skin, with no reddish cast to it. The right black line is longer than the left, making the top cross bar slant a little--and sometimes, that top cross-bar goes a little past the left vertical. The stitches on the baseball on the back go in the opposite direction from the usual stiches on '52s.

On the lower right border, there should be a black mark, like a comma done with ink--but it's part of the card, not put on with ink by some stupid.

I had picked out a variation B, so I asked--"But where's his little comma?"

"HOLD TYHE PHONE," said Levi Bleam, I have to send this back to PSA (it had a grade of 7 on it, and a price of $2000). Someone has removed the comma. They may want to destroy it."

NO, I said, I want that card!

He promised he would tell PSA. Three months later, he got the card back, with the little x on it (so it couldn't be graded again), and sold it to me for $750.

The funny thing is, almost ALL the variation B '52 Jackies have their commas removed (although Levi showed me a stack that didn't). People think it's a flaw, or a careless pen--anyway, they don't like it, and they take it off. They are saved the trouble if the card is cut very low--no room for the comma.
So that's how I got ther beautiful Jackie with with X on the back.

I remember something about the variation B Mantle--it has a missing pixel (a tiny blank spot)between the left side of the card and Mantle's face or bat--whichever comes first. I believe the sky is more turquoise.

Old 04-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I gave him a deal on some tough cards and went to get a deal on one stinkin card and I stated to them at the time ....just remember me when it comes my turn, didnt happen. I was told that you must have dealt with my partner. That's what I mean by hmmm......

a Joe Jax CJ at a 2 for 6200.00 ?????..couldn't even get it at 5500.00, which is overpriced. Glad it wasn't for a pair of stage worn spandex !

PFFFFFFF....is all I will say.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: David Vargha

Usually the cards are priced on the high to very high side. However, I have found he and Jim to be great people both as buyers and sellers in dealing with me. I have been sent cards in the mail from them before and told to send a check when I get the card.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 04-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Scott Elkins

ALWAYS has treated me fairly in both buying and selling!

Old 04-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Chris

They are very overpriced, and Levi is a pontificating, abrasive, jerk...JMO...Chris

Old 04-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: WP

Their selection on low grade and midgrade material is unrivaled in the hobby.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Default .

Old 04-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I judged him in the Atlanta Nationals one year. Being in my 20's wearing shorts and a T-shirt, I walked up to his table where his employees were extremely nice and helpful. I was interested in buying a 54 Dan Dee Mantle SGC 92. I asked the nice lady what is the best price she could do on it? She said let me have you speak to Levi... He came over and asked me what's the price on the back of the card.. I told him and then he said that's it. I said could I get a little better price if I buy more? He said his prices were firm. I handed him back the card were he flipped it back into the showcase like a 73 common not worth more than 5.00. Pointless to say, I would avoid him like the Plague unless you are buying showcases. Why does he always look like he's had one to many?

Old 04-14-2005, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Friendofthedevil

really needed here?

This is the type of thread that drives people away from this board...IMO.

If I had to trust my life with any sportscard dealer (heaven forbid, knock on wood)..
It would be my friend Levi.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: David Vargha

I've had Levi drop his price 10% on at least a couple of occasions. Once was at the Anaheim National and it was maybe only a $1,000 worth of PSA 8 1951 Bowmans. He never asked me to drop my price when he bought over a dozen of the same when I broke up that set for sale.

Edited to add - And the cards he bought from me were all for sale over SMR.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 04-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Scott Forrest

that hurt a dealer's reputation.

There are other dealers that you never hear this stuff about and you have to think it takes special effort on their part to make sure there aren't any bad experiences for their customers to spread.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: leon

Someone asked for our thoughts on a dealer. That is part of what this board is for. I think people can make up their own minds from what they read. Most comments are very positive for him as well as mine are. I think we really need to consider the sources of the comments when making a decision. No different if anyone asked if I was good to deal with. I think most would be very positive and a few folks that didn't do good deals would say otherwise...imo....regards....btw, I do delete some threads when it gets out of hand....but censoring is something I don't like to do either.....

Old 04-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Some of you guys are hilarious. You're pissed because you think Levi overprices....then don't buy his stuff! I think the opinions sought were related to Levi's veracity and professionalisim. The guy is a straight shooter and a decent guy. I buy a ton of high grade Topps mid-50s cards, graded, and when I ask for a scan, he gives me a scan. If the card looks like crap, I don't buy it. If it looks good, I buy it. He ships when he says he will and he's honest. He's polite and courteous. What more can you ask for? Why do people get angry if the guy simply wants to keep his prices firm? How would any of you feel if someone came to your business and insisted upon a lower price for your goods? Remember: when a buyer gets a great deal from a seller that equates to the seller getting the opposite of a great deal....

Old 04-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Scott Forrest

The people you are complaining about responded almost directly to the following questions in the original post.

"what sort of experience have you guys had with them"
"except they're over priced..... any ideas...thoughts..."

Old 04-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: john/z28jd

Basically Jeff summed it up.If youre thinking of buying from him and dont mind the prices then hes a reliable person.If youre looking for a deal then move to the next dealer.

He offers a wide selection,will send out scans right away upon request and ships stuff right away so you wont have any problems in that regard.

I have a feeling tho(and this isnt just for him) that dealers with overpriced cards probably get tired of people trying to haggle the price with them and sometimes that shows when you deal with them.Its partly their fault because they know the market but just have lofty expectations.On the other hand some dealers put higher prices tho so they will accept a lower offer and they get what they want,and the buyer thinks they got a deal. The problem is,you as a buyer dont know till you ask.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Default .

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

When I bought from Levi online the experience was great - it was mentioned already that he is great about sending scans and ships right away, nothing but professionalism and courtesy.

In person was a bit of a different story...at the last Sports Fest I asked to see his 1940 Play Ball cards and was treated in a condescending manner, as if he didn't think I had the money to buy them. It may have something to do with my being young (I am 24 but probably look 18). This isn't a Levi exclusive event either...several other dealers have treated me in a similar manner when I have asked to see anything vintage or expensive.

One dealer who has always been top notch is Terry Knouse...I bought a couple BF2's from him when I was still in high school and have bought several more as well as some T3's since. From the beginning Terry has treated me like he has his other customers - with courtesy and respect, and I will always appreciate that.