NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Default Mayo N300 question

Posted By: John

I am considering adding a Kinslow (no team variation) to my collection. For those of you that have handled a relative high volume of these cards, what would be your estimated ratio of the "Pittsburg" variation compared to the "no team".

My gut feeling based on priceguides and what I have seen offered for sale over the past few years is about 2 to 1. The individual that I am dealing with maintains the the ratio is at least twice that and it is reflected in his price. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

many threads on the board about the Mayo set. I know that the prices for these cards even in low conditions are pretty good but do many people really collect them? I happen to like them if they are found in great condition. The poor ones seem really distract you with that black border. I know this doesn't answer the question for you and I am sorry but I just thought that maybe there are not many people out there that I ton about these cards - or just don't care.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

(who, I am told, puts the price guide together almost single handedly!), repeatedly lists the more common variations backassward, that is, the Ward retired cheaper than the Ward second base; the Glasscock Pittsburgh more than the Glasscock other team, the Ewing Cleveland the less pricey of the two.

But my instinct is the same as yours: a no team-name common should be worth more than a team-on-short common. BUT...can't say how much.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I put this set together (46 out of 48) in 2000-2004. For what it's worth, I found Kinslow-no team to be the toughest card in the set. I paid about the same for it, in poor condition, as I did for the Kinslow-Pittsburg in SGC 30. My guess would be that the "no team" variation is at least twice as tough as the Pittsburg, and the toughest of the eight variations beyond the basic 40, based on my four year search. Hardly a scientific survey, but there it is. The two cards I still need are on ebay right now, but at BINs that I'm not willing to bite on.

http://homepage.mac.com/thurber51/19th_Century/PhotoAlbum44.html

Old 02-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mayofan

...having only been at this set for a couple years and not very aggressively at that, one of the nicest cards I have picked up is Kinslow Pittsburgh in and SGC 4.0 VG/EX, a good strong example which I nabbed for about $400 this past fall. This leads me to believe this card is no great rarity amongst Mayo's.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Seaborn

First off, I'll agree with Bruce and Murcerfan about the Kinslow variations (now please stop bidding against me on all these N300's I've put together an entire graded set and what they say is true. I know that's only a sample size of three, but I believe it to be accurate.

I believe there are plenty of Mayo lovers out there. Why do you think the prices are so high on many of the cards? The cards are beautiful and fill a unique niche in the last decade of the 19th century for cardaholics. I don't see too many offered anymore, they sure have dried up. Even the current Mastro auction only has one offered.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: harrywright

For what it is worth, Kinslow Pitt. is the card that I have in my type set. Do not know how rare the other version is.

Old 02-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I do have one non-HOFer--the Glasscock; it was so gorgeous, I couldn't resist (no way am I ever going to complete the set).

Old 02-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

But I have only the Duffy, which also happens to be my favorite card in the set. Nice when that happens...

Old 02-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: overthehandlebars

The classic mustache Kinslow is sporting.

Hey. I just sniped 3 more N302's..
..oopps, sorry for going OT with crazy football talk (maybe I'll start another forum)

Old 02-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

I sniped the other 2 N302's