NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Default Black Sox Ticket Stub

Posted By: Julie

Old 02-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Are those yours Julie? If so, nice acquisition!

Old 02-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Administrator

It's the front and back of one stub. $1444.19...35 bids...I think I got a steal!

Old 02-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

congrats julie!!!! museum quality!!!
when are you slabbing it?

Old 02-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Section H, Seat 84 is where conspirator/gambler William Thomas "Sleepy Bill" Burns sat during the third game.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Julie- I'm just glad you are one of the few here who isn't collecting 1909-1915 caramel cards. I keep hoping more and more of you will get hooked on Old Judges, Goudeys, and tobacco cards.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Great pickup Julie, this piece sure adds that extra dimension to your Black Sox collection. Does anyone with any experience in ticket stubs recall the last time a 1919 WS stub was offered for sale? If so, where and how much? Sure seems like an awfully good deal Julie got, but I know next to nothing about the market on rare ticket stubs.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Julie,

It's a fake!!! Now sell it on ebay with a cheap BIN so that I can own it.

WOW!!! THAT IS NICE!!!

Old 02-09-2005, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't slab it.

-------

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jamie

there was one being offered on the bay within the last year. im 99% sure it sold for $2500 with the buyer trying to flip it quickly at an inflated amount over that (with no bites)

beautiful item, gotta be one of the holy grails for stub collectors. looks like someone was using that stub to keep score which is very cool!

Old 02-09-2005, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

Julie that was a steal. Great buy and very nice ticket!

Old 02-09-2005, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

in November 2003 Lew Lipset sold a full ticket stub torn in half from game 3 for $916 bucks after the juice.Thats the last sale i actually know offhand but im sure theres been others. There was over 258,000 people who attended the 8 game series,so im sure if anyone wants one for themselves now,theyre out there,you just gotta find someone willing to sell theirs.Getting a full untorn ticket stub might be pretty tough tho as probably for every 20 torn ticket stubs that existed there was only 1 unused

if you go to www.blackbetsy.com you can view tickets to most if not all of the games.Maybe they would like a scan of yours Julie

Old 02-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Administrator

selling one, but it certainly is possible--as you say, a lot of people saw 8 games (if there's anyone who doesn't know, it was supposed to be the best of 9, but went 8). I'll contact Black Betsy--they already use my mysterious photo of Joe.

I'm specially thrilled because it's a Comiskey Park game (one of the two Kerr one--of course I'd prefer a Cicotte or Williams game, but Kerr's is fine) and, as someone pointed out--someone was keeping score on the back! LOVE messy backs; they're so often interesting! The seller was offered dough to end the auction early 6 times (I thought the darned thing was going to go for twice the price!), and ticket belonged to an elderly man in Vernmont (seller also lives in Vermont), who had no idea what he had, and will be glad of the 75% of selling price. He's in poor health.

The stub went for exactly what Marek Macrae said--maybe he said a little closer to 2K; anyway, I was surprised it went so cheap. But then, only a stub from a 1919 World Series game....hee!!!

That IS an "untorn stub"; did you mean a full ticket? That['s the front and back of the same stub. A full ticket would be unused.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

AWESOME. Congrats Julie.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Julie, you should attractively matte and frame the stub with a few of your original Black Sox photos. I bet that display piece would be worth some good $$.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Nice one Julie....congrats......I am sure you are very proud of it...and should be....best regards

Old 02-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Administrator

My stub is from the 5th game (the 3rd played in Chicago), so it's Lefty Williams second game. Goody. He's the only pitcher ever to have lost 3 games in one World Series...

This photo is from the HOF library ($25); I don't especially like my Conlon photo of him, so I got this one too.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

on my website http://www.geocities.com/julie_vognar/home

Sorry, there was a comma where a period should be..

Old 02-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: qualitycards

"Lefty Williams second game. Goody. He's the only pitcher ever to have lost 3 games in one World Series..."

JULIE - In 1981 Yankees George Frazier lost 3 games to the Dodgers. Not sure if anyone else lost 3 games,but I know he did.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Here's www.blackbetsy.com's ticket to the same game. More expensive seating; different color.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

julie, i believe that the ticket stub you have is really mine, that old man in vermont took it from me while standing in line to get into the game...i remember he was wearing a black jacket and hat so it would be hard to find him once he started to run...

and i too was bidding on two of the 1919 series stubs about a year ago, one from cinci and the other from chicago...if i remember correctly they went for about $2500 and $3500...of course the chicago stub was the higher one...

Old 02-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Well Julie, the other may be the more expensive seating, but yours is the richer colored and (to some) is game used.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Blacksox people (very scholarly)into mild confusion. it was one of their members who figured out that the tickets were numbered according to the number of games played in the CITY AT HAND (Chicago or Cincinnati), and they have plenty of proof--a "game 2" ticket from Cincinnati and one from Chicago, but something about the writing on the back of my ticket makes this brainstormer think my ticket was scored only through the 3rd game. So was it, in fact,. the first game played in Chicago (game 3)? Or was it the 3rd game played in Chicago (game 5?). I can't figure the writing out so exactly--except that it appears to me to have all been done at the same time, and I can think of dozens of reasons why someone would be writing the score of game 3 on the baCK OF A GAME 5 TICKET, BUT ANYWAY, HE'S PUZZLING IT OUT. I don't have it yet. I'll use a scope when registered mail has done its thing.
\
new price: 2002, "almost complete" (whatever that means!) ticket to game 1 (in Cincinnati), $894. No firther details available.