NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: warshawlaw

I just scored my first Harpers item, a full magazine with a baseball engraving in it. Here is what I am wondering: I would like to display the item in some way but my instinct tells me not to cut up the magazine to do it. Any suggestions besides a laser copy?

Old 12-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: Julie

ever offered me a WHOLE MAGAZINE! In short, I don't know what I'd do. I admit to enjoying the backs of the engravings almost as much as the front (in fact, before I put them in mylar and acid=-free board, I often xerox the back and attach it to the back of the board.

Gee, a whole magazine...

Old 12-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: Scott Elkins

However, I have never tried to list them on eBay, b/c I have no digital camera and my scanner is too small. Also, I don't have them on display b/c of their size. I guess on of the big diploma frames would work however.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: hankron

Adam, buy one that has already been cut from the magazine. I would leave your publication alone, as it's rarer that way ... There is an 1880s Harper's with a great Buck Ewing in catcher's gear on the cover.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Thanks for your input. Since it is more valuable than I thought, I will not damage the whole magazine. I am doing my entire office (not just my waiting room) in baseball; that is what I bought it for. If I can get a clean enough scan I will print it out and frame the print instead.

Old 12-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: Reid Bruce

Adam,

Why not frame the entire thing!!! I had an old newspaper framed with the paper opened to the page that i wanted. It was framed with the paper held in a slightly recessed archival foam cutout. That way, no tape was needed. If it is from an original Harpers and not the reprints, you should have no problem framing it that way or just with the individual sheet opened vertically. It makes for an interesting display.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Reid may be correct. If it is a partial page woodcut, it may be more interesting to have the whole page displayed anyway.

Adam, the woodcuts are more often than not found cut out of the magazine and these cutout pictures do have value. So, while it is rarer to have the entire magazine, it is not considered a mortal sin within the genre to remove a picture. If you were to cut it out for display on a wall, you would not be the first.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

The pictures in 1800s Harper's Weeklies and similar magazines are popular and significant to collectors as they are original prints. The pictures were printed directly from handmade printing plates. The printing plate was made by a full time craftsman who carved or cut the design into a block of wood using hand held tools-- the same way Rembrandt or Pablo Picasso would have done it. If you or your kid ever made a linoleum cut in art class (carving into a piece of linoleum, adding ink then making a print), that is basically how a woodcut is made. Though wood is obviously a tad harder than linoleum. It sometimes took a couple of weeks to make a single printing plate. Though a print was usually done with the colaboration of several people (artist, carver), as opposed to a single famous artist, a Harper's print of the 1869 Cincinnati Reds or 1880s Buck Ewing is as much an original print as the Picasso hanging in a museum .... In fact, one of the Civil War artists who worked for Harper's was a then unknown painter named Homer Winslow.

This is why Harper's Woodcuts are considered more than just newspaper pictures like you might cut out of today's sports section.

Visit the below web page if you wish to get some background on handmade 'relief printing' which is basic class of printing that includes woodcuts, wood-engraving (type of woodcut used to make later Harper's woodcuts) and linoleum printing. Notice the images of a woodcut and a Picasso linoleum cut you can see exactly how the wood or linoleum was carved out. You or your kid can also make a simple relief print in your kitchen with a potato (the pictures show me making one in my kitchen).

http://www.cycleback.com/printsexamination/ten.html

Old 12-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

I used to frame while I was in college to pay the bills, so I am aware of how I could potentially shadowbox the item. I was thinking more in terms of conventional framing, though, since I did not want to spend the bucks on a shadowbox with archival materials.

David, I agree, the images are really striking in those old mags. There are a bunch of really nice non-sport images in the issue too, including political ones. I do not usually collect non-card items but I saw the image and knew it was something special to have, so I bought it.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: Scott

If anyone is interested in these, at resonable prices, let me know via email and I'll set you up with somone who deals in Harpers woodcuts.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: Andy Baran

Does this person have New York Clipper Woodcuts as well?

Old 12-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: Scott Elkins

leather bound editions by year containing ALL Harpers Magazines for that particular year! These are not that expensive either - only a few hundred bucks. I still wish I would have bought a couple last winter that I passed on which I knew had some nice BB woodcuts in them. I haven't searched for these in a while, but they might have went up in price by now - just do a harpers weekly search on eBay in all catagories and you might find one!

Old 01-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

It is a lot bigger than I thought--more like newspaper sized.

The cover is detached from the mag and the sheet with the baseball image is unbound but intact, so I guess there is no issue with regard to separating the image bearing sheet from the whole publication.

It is one heck of an engraving. Dated June 27, 1874, it shows the Boston champions and includes O'Rourke, Spaulding, both Wrights, McVey and several other players in bib unis with old time equipment scattered around. It says the engraving is based on a photo by J.W. Black. The text story on the next page discussed the upcoming trip to England by the Boston and Philadelphia teams, which Spaulding organized.

Well worth the $50 I paid, I think...and my oldest baseball collectible. I suspect it will end up sandwiched between two pieces of UV coated plexi to preserve it.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: Reid Bruce

Adam,

I just love that image. The first time I saw that particular piece was in London about six years ago. The British have a whole cottage industry of taking turn of the century and earlier newspaper drawings and colorizing them by hand with watercolors. (This one was from the London Times I believe). Its not great from a preservation "in situ" standpoint, but it makes for a great display piece. In fact, its hanging on the wall of my law office right now. (How's that for coincidence).

Reid

Old 01-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: davidcycleback

Adam, I think you learned why the Harper's (and Leslie's, a similar magazine) woodcuts are considered undervalued by those who know them in person. Consider that there are similar (thought often smaller) prints showing King Kelly, Cap Anson, Billy Sunday, Chas. Comiskey (as player), Buck Ewing, James Creighton, etc.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: Julie

The last one is the one referred to above, with O'Rourke, the Wrights and Spaulding--but sincve I MOVED it, it got all liney. My scanner doesn't like enlarging, reducing or moving ANYTHING. Very particular.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Hello, The Vintage & Classic Baseball Collector's Issue #14 has a good article on Harper's woodcuts. Rick

Old 01-14-2005, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Default harpers question

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I suppose that none of the wooden plates used to make these woodcuts have survived. Boy, it sure would be nice to have one of those.

I wonder how much wear the wooden plates suffered in printing the copies which were necessary then. Wood, although more durable than linoleum, is not a very strong material. Then again, some types of wood are surprising.