NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Default Baseball Card HOF voting is now open

Posted By: jay behrens

OK, had to wade thru the "self serving" cards posted Here is what you all get to vote on.

19th century:
n172 Moxie Hengle "dead man" pose
n172 Ewing and mascot
n162 Kelly
n172 Whitney and dog

t-cards:
t227 Cobb
t206 Leifield
t202 Cobb/Jennings
t207 Buschelman

e-cards:
e96 Brown
e94 Cicotte (violet)
e93 Cobb
1913 Zeenut McCreedie

misc sets:
33 Goudey Richards
Delong Gehrig
Western Playground "Bagman"
39 Play Ball Al Schact

It would be greatly appreciated if scans of these cards can be posted here so others know what they look like.

please send your votes to sabrjay@charter.net, do not post them here. Jan 8th will be the last day to vote.

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Dead Man pose - great card.

Gets my vote.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Schacht; McCredie.

(not voting; just posting, as per Jay's request)

Old 01-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

N162 Kelly
T227 Cobb
E96 Brown
Miscellaneous: No vote. Couldn't we do better? I guess I should have nominated some like R309-1 Ruth, Rice Stix Dean, 38 Goudey Dimaggio & Feller, and lots of others.

Changed my 19th C. vote to N162 Kelly. Don't know what I was thinking before. I like the Ewing, but the Kelly is one of my absolute favorites.

Old 01-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Blank Ballot

Old 01-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Administrator

N162 Kelly
E96 Brown
T227 Cobb
Western Playgrounds Bagman (someone better post him, or Leon's website in a prominent place! I tried to post him, but he got cut off, right above his bag.)

I think we could have had better choices, too, somehow. There were few nominators, though there were plenty of cards which didn't get in from before. I really think the N167 Ewing should have made it, but then I'm partial to Ewing. Before someone else votes for Ewing and mascot, think how much you'd rather have the Kelly!

Old 01-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Can I please get you to send you votes to my email address. I want to keep people from being influenced by the votes of others.

sabrjay@charter.net

I don't know how anyone can complain about the choices in the Misc catagory. Personally, I think they are the best cards, by far.

Jay

Old 01-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I dont see how people can complain either when we had nominations up for weeks,those were obviously the most popular choices,so thats why they are on the ballot.I dont see anything wrong with the misc choices and i didnt hear any better ones that were left off

Old 01-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Administrator

DO YOU WANT THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY VOTED TO SEND THEIR VOTES TO YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS? Oh, I guess Paul was complaining (but then he mentioned all the things he could have nominated but didn't). Sorry, I didn't know attempts to influence were illegal. My bad...

Old 01-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Julie, yes, please send them to me

Jay

Old 01-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

N162 Kelly

1913 Zeenut McCreedie - that's a nice card!

Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Here is my ONLY complaint:

I do NOT think that any one player should have more than ONE card in the HOF...

and I do not think that any one SET should have more than ONE card.

Thus, Anson and Zeenut are already accounted for.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I disagree......it's not about players it's about cards.....and any card of any player should be able to make it.....even your 1907 Recius card....just my opinion....

Old 01-03-2005, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Sometimes life calls for tough choices.

The fact of the matter is...

that EVERY set has ONE card that is the BEST card in that set...

and every player has ONE card of him that is his BEST card.

I think we should vote on THESE qualifications first... and THEN vote on which of THOSE should be elected.

IN OTHER WORDS...

we should vote to see which CAP ANSON card is his BEST card...

and which BABE RUTH card is his BEST card...

and which TY COBB card is his BEST card...

and which JOE JACKSON card is his BEST card...

and which N172 Old Judge card is the BEST card in that set...

and which N162 Goodwin Champs card if the BEST in that set...

and then ONLY THESE WINNERS should be eligible for election in the baseball card HOF.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Administrator

I was only joking about the "1907" part of my post. However, I still think it is the "card" HOF not the player/card HOF. You mention the word "Best" many times but as in women and baseball cards "best" is a very subjective term. ....Your Recius is a great card and I would think would be one of Wagners best, and certainly the best Recius card around .......although personally I have always liked the E90-2 Wagner card ...later

Old 01-03-2005, 06:55 AM
Administrator

But Leon...

my "fear" is that the HOF would become a shrine to only the same few players over and over.

Anson is everyone's favorite... so he gets voted on every time.

Are we voting on which cards LOOK the coolest ... or which ones we would rather own (value-wise)???

I am sure that there are several COMMON cards in every set that are the most appealling to the eye...

like the "dead man" Old Judge!!!

If we vote on PURELY the "image" of the card and how "neat" it looks...

then we shouldn't care if the player on the card is a HOF'er or a nobody.

I am cool with this... but just looking back at the PREVIOUS entries into the HOF...

it is clear that "star status" and "market value" had a LOT to do with THOSE cards getting elected... NOT their "eye appeal."

I just want to know what the requirements are supposed to be, that's all.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Hal, I am with you. I want this to be best and coolest cards. If you've seent he other thread I've started about favorite cards, I ask this same question.

I personally dislike the fact that so many HOFers get noiminated. I think this is more a function of the fact that these are the cards people are familiar with. When people look at cards from sets they don't own, they tend to look at the HOFers and pass over commons.

As you noted, most of the early nominees are significant cards in the hobby. Personally wouldn't say any of them are worthy of being the best or coolest looking cards. Remove the name and price tag from those card, I doubt anyone would give them a second thought. Especially cards like e90-1 Mitchel, t206 Wagner, P&S REds and the Baltimore News Ruth. There is nothing particularily striking about these cards other than the name and history attached to the card.

Becuase of that, I asked a long time back if we should just default in all the significant cards like the Big 3 t206 and t207 cards, the 33 Lajoie, etc.

Also, I will openly admit some bias being invovled in what cards get voted on. If you notice, the only catagory that has 2 cards from the same set is the 19c catagory. This was done on purpose, mainly becuase I felt the Hengle and Whitney cards were far better choices than cards from any other set nominated that wasn't already in the final cut.

Jay

Old 01-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Maybe we should "divide" up the Baseball Card HOF into the "BASEBALL WRITERS" wing and the "VETERANS COMMITTEE" wing??

You could induct all of the "famous" cards in the hobby that are valuable and well-publicized (like the T206 Wagner) into the "MVP" wing...

and all of the COOL cards with great images into the "Fan Favorites" wing.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Administrator

How did ya'll take what I said and turn it around? Go back and see that I AM the one that is advocating "cards" not players. And btw Jay if you don't think the Peck and Snyder or '14 Ruth cards are cool looking then I guess I am at a loss for words.....I guess I will just agree to disagree with you on that subject.......

Old 01-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Also, I agree with Leon that being a great player does not automatically preclude a person from having a great card!

Old 01-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

...some sets have multiple cards that are "card-HOF worthy". For instance, the t206 set is well-known, popular, and has loads of beautiful cards. Let's say you call the CJ Wagner the nicest card from that set - such a situation would exclude the t206 Wagner from making the card HOF if another card from the t206 set was already in.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Administrator

OK Scott... but I can live with that.

I have a new idea that I am going to try out.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Leon, if you strip away the history of the card and have just the picture, the picture adn design does not jump out at me and say, I'm a great card. The picture itself is like many team photos of the era, and very generic looking to me. Same goes for the Ruth. It jsut doesn't jump out at me. Cards like the e92 Rebel Oakes, Zeenut FAtty Arbuckle and Western Playground "Bagman" jump out at you and scream COOL!!!

By the way, can you post a scan of the Bagman so those that haven't already seen it, can? Thanks

Jay

Old 01-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Administrator

So far, not counting the votes that are posted here and have not been mailed to me, I have a grand total of 4 votes. If there is no more interest in this project, I will discountinue it.

Jay

Old 01-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Basically we are card collectors so I don't see how a card "HOF" could include cards that are unknown to most collectors.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Administrator

The orignal idea for this by John was to create a site for the best cards ever. Not neccessarily the best known or most most valuable.

Think of it this way, a lot of people think that Mattingly belongs in the HOF. Strip away the fact the he played for the Yankees and got all the publicity that comes with it, and you have player that pretty good in his day, but doesn't warrant serious consideration for the Hall. Then there is Bobby MAtthews and his 297 wins. Very few people, let alone baeball fans know who he is, but is most certainly deserving of being in the HOF. His obscurity shouldn't preclude his inclusion.

It's looking like a moot point anyway since hardly anyone seems interested in this project anymore.

Jay

Old 01-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H (misunderestimated)

I'm in Chicago -- count them twice.... Oh wait I'm still alive.... they only count once.

T202 Cobb-Jennings (Conlon Cobb Photo in Center)

'39 Playball Schacht -- perhaps the ancestor to the SD CHicken card or the Kurt Bevaeauca (Sp?) bubble gum champion card.

OJ N172 -- Ewing/Mascott

No strong feelings on the others right now..... Also, in the future, there are some neat multi-players cards from the 30's we should think about and also maybe some Exhibits from the 20's. Th '53 Pee Wee Reese is out of bounds, right ?

Old 01-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator

please get back to me on the Cracker Jack questions I sent - I'm having a hard time finding anyone on the board who knows much about them...or at least who is willing to answer questions. Thanks!

Old 01-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Well, it seems there is little interest in the project anymore. I've received fewer than 10 votes. It would seem that Hal is onto the right idea, voting for the best cards of HOFers since there seems to be little interest in cards of "common" players.

Jay