NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Default T-205 Blank Back Questions

Posted By: Jon Canfield

First of all, Happy Holidays to the Board. Locally, there is this small Thanksgiving-Eve show held every year. Usually the show is filled with cards from 1999 on, however tonight there was a man set up with nearly 200 T-206 and 205's. Every single card was in POOR POOR POOR condition, most having cut-outs from the Spalding guides glued to the back. However, looking through the pile, I came across a blank backed T-205 common and thought it interesting enough to buy. I was hoping to get some basic information on it since this is nothing along the lines of what I collect.

As you can see from the pictures, it does have some remains of the note book it was glued in. The back feels smooth and the stock of the card is very similar to my other T-205's. The only thing that surprised me is that I would have thought the borders would have been more handcut but they appear, to me, to be straight. Any idea where these came from? Are they note book covers or just scraps? What else can all you experts tell me about this? Is it even rare?

Old 11-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert A

Hmmm. I can't tell if that is blank-backed or if it might have been stuck to something, removed, and stuck to something and removed again with other paper remnants?

Old 11-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Administrator

I thought about that at first but after feeling the back, it is very smooth, not like the back has been peeled off or something like that. Also, it is even - if the back was torn, wouldn't different thicknesses be present as opposed to a nice, even tear across the whole surface of the back?

Old 11-24-2004, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert A

Hey Jon.
Search Blank Back T205.
It looks like there has been a few previous discussions.
Rob

Old 11-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H (misunderestimated)

I have seen a few of these over the years and I have one myself (McConnell). I recently saw a Mathewson. Most have a clean but blank back. My best guess is that they were cut out of something although I'm sure they would "be worth" more if they were regarded as "proofs."

Old 11-24-2004, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Yes, they are rare. I bought my second one about 3 months ago. Usually they are smooth and feel much like the regular backs. There is an advertising poster but I have yet to see one that was complete and if I recall it only contained a few cards (I own a Moran blank from said poster and have seen a Matty). They are on thicker cardboard and slightly (very slightly) larger than regular T-205s. Blank backs are found about as often as Hindu (maybe a little more often). Blank backs are most likely printer scrap. They went through the normal printing and cutting process but missed the advertising before cutting. Probably test runs. Neither blank backs I own, nor several I have seen, seem to be hand cut. The T-205 D. Jones I recently picked up was centered nicely and measured true to both Jones I already own.

May I inquire as to what you spent to get your blank back. I would be interested in owning it as a Phillies collector.

-Joshua

Old 11-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: canjond

Josh - I emailed you with a response to your question...

Old 11-25-2004, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Like Brian, I used to own a McConnell blank back as well. Mine was about EX+ and had jumbo borders. Didn't appear handcut, but could have been. I think I payed around $50 for it nearly 2 years ago, but decided to sell it a while back when I gave up on T205's (finally realizing deep down that I'm really not cut out to be a set collector).