NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Default Standard Catalogue of Baseball cards, 14th edition, 2005

Posted By: Julie

is now available from amazon.com, estimated shipping date, Sept. 16, price with shipping 31.00.

'53 Bowman Reese front and center, with Bordagaray hugging the base beneath him...

I usually buy it from Krause, but this year, they want 50.00...

Old 09-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Julie,

When I go to Amazon.com, it still says the item is not yet available, and if I order it they will notify me of the shipping date at some later time. No mention of Sept. 16th. I know you get VCBC before everyone else, but at least you pay extra for that. How do I get your special "in" with Amazon?

Old 09-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Administrator

customer--but I don't see why that should make any difference. I had to try three or 4 approaches before I got an order form for it. I was frankly surprised--i just got the notice from Krause today. Maybe--i won't get one after all.

Another funny thing: their price is the same as last year (31.00 with shipping), but Krause's has gone up...

Old 09-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Thanks, Julie. I went ahead and ordered. It still didn't mention anything about Sept. 16th, but hopefully I'll get it soon. I did opt for the free shipping, so it may take awhile.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Here is the message I got in an e-mail from Amazon after I placed my order for the book:

Shipping estimate for these items: September 21, 2004

Delivery estimate: September 23, 2004 - September 27, 2004

1 "2005 Standard Catalog Of Baseball Cards (Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards)" Bob Lemke;Paperback; $27.19

Old 09-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

and I didn't choose the "free shipping," which takes longer, so total pricre is $31.00.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Thanks for pointing out to everyone on the board how CHEAP they have forced me to become by SELLING me all of their cards for such high prices. Now I am forced to use the "free shipping" option and wait longer for my book, while you will be enjoying yours all that time!!

Old 09-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

Does everyone here get a new Catalogue every year, or make do for a couple of years at a time?

Mine is old, '92 i believe so i know i'm missing quite a few updates.

A suggestion for Bob Lemke - split the Catalogue in two and sell the parts separately. I know the current guide is one book in two sections. The only thing i care about is the first section and I hate having to buy that big honking book when i don't even care about 3/4 of it. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I am also interested in the question posed above - how often do most people update their catalog. I just recently bought my first one (2004 ed.). The only reason that I can see for updating right now is if the prices have been revised - most vintage prices in the 2004 ed. seem very low. Im curious as to how much is really changed from year to year.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike McGrail

I pick up a new catalog every 3 years. Still gettin' all kind of mileage from the 2003 edition. Most of my use has to do with checklist stuff and that doesn't change that much from year to year. Not concerned about the prices as the ones in the book for the cards I am interested in do not reflect reality.

Mike

Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

I get a new catalog every year. In the last few years a lot of postcards, cabinets, and foriegn cards have been added to the listings. The prices, although still low in a number of cases, have been catching up to the real world. My biggest complaint is relegating the vintage minor league cards to the back of the book. If they must be seperated, at least put them right after the major league vintage section.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

scd is publishing a price guide. no news there, but apparently the publication is available at a discounted price through amazon....
i just find it kinda funny...that scd's retail price is as wacky as their pricing inside

or maybe i'm just still giggling from the wierd al ebay song...that is funny

Old 09-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Prices are not only HIGH--some are LOW. Still, if you are unfamiliar with the set, it's nice to have one opinion in print. It's as good as most peoples, if not everyone's.

Also, the enormous changes in the prices of some cards and the non-existant changes in the prices of thoers are sometimes funny (as in amusing)

It's a pretty good checklist, and does tend to add or change sets fairly often. 2006: BIG changes in the Colgans chips! Hooray!

Old 09-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

I'm waiting to hear early reports (Julie and gang) on the OJ section. I can't wait to see if Lemke, Jay Miller, and company have updated the section to show more details. If I recall correctly, the HOFers were going to be broken out by pose this year. I'll purchase my copy if even moderate work has been dedicated to this section.

I still cherish my 1st edition catalog as it lists every pose and variation of every player. While it's becoming very outdated (many new poses have since surfaced), it is the best thing next to the British Cartophilic Society listings which are also becoming outdated.

Joe Gonsowski

Old 09-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

thought I had to spend 50.00 at Amazon to get it, like Krause--I would have gladly waited a couple extra days to save 3.75, or whatever.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

i went to amazon and can only find the 2004 and the minor league guide, is there a prepublication ordering section?

scott

Old 09-17-2004, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873498798/qid=1095427049/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/102-9444693-3641706?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Old 09-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

that was easy! all anyone needs to do is clink on the link elliott provided and order.

scott

Old 09-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Well Martindl + Josh K I am going to buy one of these catalogs this year, but I never have before. And I probably will never do so again (unless they eliminate the post war stuff).

I have been getting by with, I think it is, Becketts #4, and when I need something more comprehensive, I have been relying on the Sports Collectors Bible - but I rarely need that reference - and I imagine it is still better than the Standard Catalog, other than the updates.

Actual prices are on eBay and auction catalogs. Price guides are only accurate for a short time, if ever. Of course, the above is only my opinion.

Gil

Old 09-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

speaking of oj's i wonder how much lemke has oj proofs listed as in the new guide, or even if they are listed. if they are a legit issue they should be listed

Old 09-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

"David",

It sounds like your comment was just a passive-aggressive jab at Lemke (seems to be common lately) but if it was a serious question, the answer to why proofs wouldn't be listed as an issue in the catalog is because proofs would not be an issue at all. They would be proofs. Pretty much every issue ever produced would have had proof sheets or cards made prior to the final production of the issue. But that wouldn't make it a different issue. It would make it a proof. A proof of a particular card or issue.

Why people have such a hard time understanding what proofs are is perplexing to me. If you were in the business of mass-producing baseball cards, you wouldn't just assume you had all the colors, registration, etc. right before printing X number of sheets out would you?

It might be a good idea to print one sheet out to see if everything looks the way it's supposed to. If not, you can fix it, then print another test sheet out and repeat this process until you are satisfied with the quality. There's really no reason to keep this sheet, so unless you happened to file it away for some reason, you'd probably throw it away once you'd begun production of the finished product. This is one reason for the scarcity of true proofs and also a reason for the desirability.

Maybe if the hobby started calling them "test sheets" there wouldn't be so much confusion about it.

If you want to see the "proof" process in action right in front of your eyes just change the color cartridge in your printer. Before it's ready to begin printing whatever you want, it spits out a sheet to test it and make sure everything is calibrated correctly and all colors are being distributed properly. Though this isn't a "proof" in the strictest sense in that it isn't a test example of a final product, you get the idea.

I make proofs on regular paper before printing photos on the glossy premium photo paper just to be sure the size, borders, etc. are going to be correct before wasting the good paper. I think I'll start saving these "proofs" for their investment value.

-Ryan

Old 09-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: david

well lemke lists the t206 'proofs' so why not n172 proofs also

Old 09-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Generally the only proofs which make the cut into the "big book" are those which are numerous enough to have widespread hobby market history (1967 Topps Maris Yankees), which have special historic interest (1977 Topps Reggie Orioles) and/or otherwise demonstrate a stable market presence (1984 Topps). The T206 proofs have been removed from the new edition, and it is unlikely the Old Judge proofs will ever achieve listing status since the extent of the "issue" is undetermined. We may continue to create and publish proof-card listings on a one-time basis just to get them "on the record." The flood of post-war proof cards and materials from the Topps "Vault" will generally not be recognized in our pages.