NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Default today's puzzle : the history of ray o prints

Posted By: hankron

I am not saying the cards aren't genuine, but can anyone pick out the curious part in Leland's description of the cards' history?

http://lelands.com/bid.aspx?auction=405&lot=1524

Old 05-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Ray-O-Prints are scary. They are made using a blank piece of paper and a developing piece. Theoretically, anyone with the developer piece could make an infinite number of cards.

Old 05-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

they look old but the description could have just as well said "from a recent production run" instead of "find"........I bought one once and returned it as it looked too "new" for 1930's.....later

Old 05-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Did Ray-O-Prints come with a "deluxe velvet collector's case?" Sounds sort of reprintish to me...

Old 05-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

David,

I don't if this is what you're thinking about but I find two things interesting:

1. Why the "cards" were found at the point of distribution but are already developed? Didn't they just distribute the negative and a blank piece of paper and the consumer developed the card?

2. The photo quality is poor and the images have quite a bit of dust marks and scratch lines that would reflect damage and dust on the negative. If these are original and were found at the point of distribution then would the negatives not be in their best condition since they would have been new?

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm".

Old 05-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JUlie

Old 05-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Pete's #1 got it exactly. The description says the cards were yet to be distributed. But the distributers wouldn't be distributing finished cards, but kits for the kids to develope their own.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Administrator

The MP & Company Ray O Prints were sold to kids as little packaged kits, so the boy or girl could make a photo at home. The kit, identified by the advertising on the packaging, included a negative, a piece of blank photo paper and a holder for the photo. As the negative could make countless additional photos (just get more photo paper), it's recommended that the collector buy the card when it comes with the original kit. Though rare, a complete kit does pop up every once in a while.

Old 05-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chuck Ross

I have a scan of the envelope the kit came in. It's on my hard drive, but when I try to upload it I don't see the "Insert Object" button below the post text window. Can someone give a rookie a clue?

Old 05-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Poland

and I will host it for you.

Old 05-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Poland

Old 05-29-2004, 02:02 AM
Administrator

It is important to note that, even without the kit, it is possible to identify the vintage Ray O Prints. So it's not the kiss of death if a collector has a vintage card without the kit.