NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2003, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Default Questions about this Forum

Posted By: grilloj39

I am primarily a hockey collector who will post occasionally on the PSA/SGC boards. Is this board OK to discuss vintage (pre-war) hockey as well (i.e. C55, C56, champs cigarettes, OPC, etc?).

The forum is referred to as a vintage baseball card forum. But sometimes "baseball" can be a generic term for sportscard collecting in general. Appreciate your thoughts on this matter. In any case, I appreciate reading the posts on this board and will continue to do so.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

There are a number of us that collect old hockey (myself included). Although, the primary focus of the board is vintage baseball, there will be no problem with an occasional post about other sportscards. If demand warrants, a separate board could be set up. I've always felt a lot of topics just overlapped, and it was best to keep one forum. Thoughts???

Old 12-11-2003, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

You will find that some of the collectors collect more than just baseball, part of the reason is that some of the sets the baseball players come in also include athletes of other sports. The other reason you do not find them discussed often is that there just are not that many Hockey, Football, and definately NO basketball, just them other sports that were popular from the turn of the century.

I think Elliot was happy to see that question, he is one of the Canucks on the board.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PianoLegs

Scott Forrest (runscott) recently posted a question about the possibility of starting a vintage hockey discussion forum. I think it's under "'54 Bowmans--Pre-Vietnam War." Jeff O also expressed interest, and I would definitely be glad to see (and help with) such a forum.

Old 12-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I don't have a problem with other vintage sports issues being discussed. i've always been a big fan of all vintage sports cards and is why I love sets like Goodwin Champions, Kimball Champions and Sports Kings.

Jay

Old 12-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

I used to collect pre and post war hockey (yes, I am a canuck as well) but had to sell everything to help pay for college. Mistake. Well, I guess the whole education thing was somewhat important. Kept my Gretzky rookie though.

Anyways, I think seperate forum isn't a bad idea at all, especially if we can link that forum off of this one. Shouldnt be too hard, seeing as our new unemployed abd anonymous "friend" managed to whip one up in a matter of minutes.

Even better, maybe we can make a seperate forum for all PSA/SGC/GAI debates so we can get back to actually talking about prewar CARDS in this one, not their damn holders.

Old 12-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B Kaz

That's the best idea yet! I've been diappointed in the overall content the last few months as it has more than just strayed over to a PSA/SGC/GAI pi$$ing match.

Old 12-11-2003, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: murcerfan

........and a hockey discussion broke out

seriously, I am an avid 1930's hockey collector,
and just picked up 4 more Ice Kings in high grade this morning. The '36 OPC series D is another project and favorite set (anybody have nice ones for me?). Lately I have even ventured (or stumbled as "junior" would say)into the other OPC sets. There are some real legends and great history portrayed by these cards.

It seems that very little high grade hockey has made it into our beloved (or be-hated depending on the day of the week around here)PSA,SGC,or GAI slabs. I wonder how much higher grade material is out there ?

Old 12-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff O

I'm always ready to talk hockey... my primary areas of interest are C56 and V252, but I've been known to dabble as well. Seattle hockey memorabilia is actually my primary collecting interest...

Jeff
http://www.seattlehockey.net

Old 12-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

I am all for talking about vintage hockey. I am also waiting for Elliot to find some high grade C56's for me to buy

Old 12-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

because 1) I was afraid nobody would be interested, and 2) you can't toss around expressions like C-56, C-57, C-55, William Patterson, Parkhurst, Lacrosse (whoops!), and expect people who don't collect them to get a picture in their minds. So you're just rattling
on about something strange to some people (but there sure are a lot of hockey-card enthusiasts, judging by this thread!)

Maybe a separate board would be a good idea--but--well, nobody has to read anymore of, for instance, this thread than they want to. And Don Betz said he'd be delighted to publish an article on a goalie who'd been the Canadiens' only goalie from 1910-25.

Old 12-12-2003, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Daniels

And a Gerry Springer show broke out!

Old 12-12-2003, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I collect boxing cards (as many know; thanks for the response on my book BTW. Picked them up yesterday and they look really good. 161 pages. $30 ppd, email warshawlaw@aol.com if interested. Shameless Plug). I think other areas of sport from the same era are a natural offshoot of baseball collecting. The game sucks us in but the artistry of the cards keeps us there and that artistry extends to other sports too.