NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-27-2002, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Default Vorthain's 41 Playball

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I have a questions about what to do with Steve's 41 Playball. (Steve if you can repost it in this thread please do). What do you do if you are the purchaser of a graded card like that, and what can you expect in return from the grading company with there so called gaurantee?

Old 11-27-2002, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...more details. Is there something wrong with it? What grading co. holder is it in? Curious...what are you trying or wanting to do with it? I'm not sure I understand your post. (Maybe the details are in another thread?)

-dan

Old 11-27-2002, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H.

EOM.

Old 11-27-2002, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Brian is correct it is the Arky Vaughn from the monster Cobb thread

Old 11-27-2002, 06:26 PM
Administrator

...well, that thread got ridiculous, so I won't go thru it again.

Old 11-27-2002, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BOTN

To Whom This May Concern:

The card is a 1940 Playball not 1941 and it is not a Vaughan but an Earl Averill.

Come on guys. The information as well as a scan of the card are right there in front of you. There should be a rule that you are not permitted to ask any questions unless you get the facts straight.

Why are you starting a new thread?

Old 11-27-2002, 07:16 PM
Administrator

It is a totally diiferent question from the one in the Cobb thread that has gotten so long that I figured (and I was correct from a previuos response) that people stopped reading it.

I am sorry that we are not as on top of things as you are. I will try to meet up to your standards in the future. If you don't like the thread please ignore any future posts, BOTN.

Old 11-27-2002, 07:48 PM
Administrator

...ya know, I share your frustration there, Lee. I thought when "you-know-who" appeared to stop posting his angry monologue on the Board some time ago, it seemed that a great, friendly tone had returned to the exchanges we were having on the Board. As of late, though...well, I dunno. Maybe it's just that the f'ed up economy has everyone on edge, and maybe this seems to be a good place to try and take people down a peg or two while venting frustrations in general, I'm not sure.

Seattle sure has taken its lumps, with all the Boeing layoffs and so forth. I've noticed some of the vintage items on eBay even selling for a little less than normal (seems to be a buyers market)...well...now that rocket-lover (or whatever his handle was) isn't bidding anymore, they seem to be going for less... (LOL...he was bidding some pretty outrageous prices for some stuff).

People in general just kinda seem p-o'ed and angry. Oh well <laugh> I guess that's why it's been kinda easy to ignore a lot of it lately...

Cheers Lee, and have a great Thanksgiving. Of course, the good Thanksgiving wishes go out to everyone here.

-dan

Old 11-27-2002, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H

BOTN- Since "The information as well as a scan of the card are right there in front of you." and I still got it wrong, does this mean I can't get a job at a card grading company ?

Old 11-27-2002, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous Poster

Please do not try to post anonymously using other people's names.

Old 11-27-2002, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BOTN

Jeff,

So nice of you to show up here. You were warned by the CU Forum moderator to behave like an adult, something that you obviously have trouble doing in public. Maybe you can go two for two.

Whatever happens please do not post your inane questions here. You will only end up embarrassing yourself.

Have a great Thanksgiving, Turkey.

Old 11-28-2002, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: aconte

BOTN,

Good posts on your part.

Makes for good read! I know I can't add much here
on this board since my knowledge of pre-war cards
is weak at best.

But I read a lot here. And the Cobb thread and
Botn's comments sure added a lot of flavor and
insight on things the last few days.

aconte

Old 11-28-2002, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

All of the grading services have small print disclaimers in their submittal paperwork or elsewhere that disavow any responsibility for their flubs. Now, if you have a high profile buyer (e.g., Keith Olbermann) or a valuable enough card (e.g., a Ruth rookie) that litigation will follow on a refusal to make good, the companies will deviate from their norm and pay you off to go away.

The sole exception that I am aware of to this is GAI, which has an express buy-back policy insured by Lloyd's of London.

Old 11-28-2002, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

Based upon a combination of personal experience and hearsay, my experience is that your mileage may vary. My own experience:

1) Submitted an invoice full of '52 Topps, with a few '53 Topps. All but one or two came back PSA-7, which was as expected, but they were wrecked in the holders. PSA was changing holders, and they put an old holder front on a new holder back, or vice versa, which doesn't work, and they took hunks out of each of the cards. I explained the situation, and sent the cards back. PSA coughed up a check for about $1000, which was full SMR. This happened in 2000, and nobody at PSA could have known me from Adam.

2) I bought a bad T-206 PSA-7. It was about EX. I sent it in and asked them to keep the card and comp a grading invoice totalling around what I paid for the card, and they did. This was recent.

3) Another time I had a card with the wrong flip and they fixed this for free.

This is not terribly bad. I've never wanted them to do something that they refused to do.

I had another experience with Beckett, which involved a bad card, a NM card with a wrinkle on the back, the kind of card that typically comes back PSA-5. On the phone, they told me that the guaranteed nothing, their grades were just opinions, but that I was probably wrong because several graders had seen the card. I had a friend take this to a show and try to wheedle something out of them. He got some free grading that totalled more than I'd paid for the card.

SGC used to have an explicit written grading guarantee. Now they have something watered down. PSA seems about the same. There are plenty of cases that people will tell you about where they didn't get what they want from these companies, but this hasn't been my own experience.

I know that it's not true that the possibility of legal action must always be involved.

I wish they would strengthen their guarantees though.

bruce

Old 11-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

What's up with this thread? Seems kinda kooky.