NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2002, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: leon

I hated to start yet another thread on the subject but I have one easy question. I don't know the story on the Jackson and it sounds like no one else does either, or they have not come forward yet. Why not send the card to Derek Grady (personally) at SGC and have him tell you what is wrong with it? When PSA or SGC send a card back they will explain why it wasn't holdered (at least the ones I have seen), and Derek is an "approachable" VP...........regards

Old 08-08-2002, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: Mike Williams

I personally viewed this card (pre Doc purchase) at Ft. Washington in this exact holder. The seller was an authorized PSA dealer and it was the only non-PSA card in his cases. When I asked why this thing wasn't slabbed by PSA (as the monetary gain would be far more), he said it was on consignment for another dealer friend of his. I asked who his dealer friend was....he refused to tell me, saying "it wasn't important". I told him I would purchase the card if it was deemed OK by SGC (who was on site), he told me all sales were final, regardless of what SGC said. I then said (against my better judgement) that I would purchase the card if it was deemed OK by PSA (who was also on site AND was this dealers grading co. of choice)....again, he refused. Now I'm not saying the card was altered because to the naked eye, it looked stunning....but I will say there were enough red flags presented to indicate something wasn't quite right. The selling price at the time was $7,000.00.

Old 08-08-2002, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: leon

After a diluge of personal emails about this thread I guess I am just a little slow in my old age. Bottom line is I guess lightning struck twice and the card sucks......regards all

Old 08-08-2002, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

I think there are enough red flags present in that story to indicate that something is completely radioactive.

1) PRO slab.
2) Funny consignment story.
3) All sales final.

Forget it. You'd be better off responding to one of those Nigerian scam emails.

bruce

Old 08-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

I think it's pretty clear that there are some PEOPLE and some GRADERS in this biz that you simply can't trust.

The People usually defend themselves by calling names and quoting Shakaspeare when cornered.

The Graders...well, we hope they just simply die out and people finally recognize them for the garbage they are.

Old 08-08-2002, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: Dr.Koos

poor half-wit, that it wasn't ME at this show that offered you a funny consignment / all sales final story. Then perhaps you can further offer that since I purchased the card in response to an Ebay auction in July/August of 2000, that would eliminate me as the consignor at that show that HAD to have taken place prior to the date it appeared on Ebay (the original auction on which I WON the card).

Old 08-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: vorthian

<< ...that would eliminate me as the consignor at that show that HAD to have taken place prior...>>

Richard, I don't think Mike was implying that you had a role or were somehow linked to this card at that time. A mere history lesson, which I will continue here...

Like Mike, I saw that card at a Rosemont, IL show a few years back. The dealer has a great network of friends and submits (used to at least) quite regularly to Teletrade. A table full of PSA material and a few PRO slabs sticking out like a sore thumb will always cause one to speculate and wonder. I did not recall seeing the 1952 Topps Mantle PRO 8 in person, but I did see another PRO card of note (at the same table) - 1948 Leaf Ruth PRO 8.5 with a price tag of over $10,000.

Rumor has it that the Ruth was involved in a trade for a FBH Kelly and now resides in Alaska. j/k Leon

Old 08-08-2002, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

MIKE,THE PERSON WHO SHOWED IT TO YOU PURCHASED IT FROM MASTRO AND POPPED IT IN THE PRO HOLDER......AND I KNOW YOU KNOW THIS AS THOSE PSA-DEALERS YOU REFER ( BEDROCK,KARDZ-R-US,PSA-1,BEANIES,ET.ET.ET ) ARE SCAMS AND SCAMMED"RICHARD" TRICKY DICK KOOS INTO BUYING IT BECAUSE HE FIGURED IF IT WAS SLABBED IT WAS PROBABLY O.K. "RICHARD' DID NOT KNOW ABOUT PRO AS A SCAM NOR MASTRONET AT THE TIME IF PURCHASE...THE REST IS A CONSCIENCE ISSUE YOU GUYS ARE ALL OVER DAY AND NIGHT...

BUT THE GUYS WHO SOLD IT TO "RICHARD" SHOULD GO TO JAIL AND AS PART OF THEIR SENTENCE,SHOULD BE VISITED BY RICHARD THREE TIMES WEEKLY....LOL

I LOVE THAT "THAT'S A BIG FAT LIE" COMMERCIAL ON THE RADIO AND HAD TO USE IT!

Old 08-08-2002, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: B C DANIELS

was destroyed by SGC after a Koosien deal occurred with it some months after.....

Old 08-08-2002, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: warshawlaw

I just LOVE that expression.

I WISH I WAS AT THE NATIONAL I WISH I WAS AT THE NATIONAL I WISH I WAS AT THE NATIONAL I WISH I WAS AT THE NATIONAL I WISH I WAS AT THE NATIONAL I WISH I WAS AT THE NATIONAL (DAMNED ENRON TOOK MY TRIP WITH IT DOWN THE CRAPPER)

Old 08-09-2002, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: Mike Williams

I was in no way stating Doc was part of my Ft. Washington experience....just wanted to pass along the story.

Old 08-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default Dr. Koos

Posted By: Dr.Koos

.. for clarifying that.