NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-16-2001, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Default Hall of Fame

Posted By: WWolter

I agree with you in the fact that Ozzie Smith doesn't have the offensive numbers that others may, but 13 gold gloves? I know what your gonna say, what about Jim Kaat etc... Like him or not he deserves it. Dale Murphy is a two time MVP, multiple gold gloves, like a seven or eight time all-star, not to mention the fact he's a hell of a guy. With some of today's numbers his may not be as impressive, but he isn't even coming close in the ballot. This won't win me any points either, but I feel Mattingly deserves more consideration. I realize he didn't play as long as many, but neither did Puckett.
best regards,
Wade

Old 09-16-2001, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default Hall of Fame

Posted By: HalleyGator

The way baseball is going now, 500 home runs is NOT even going to guarantee entrance in the Hall of Fame in a few years!! It used to be that 400 was a magic number (except for Kingman), but now that can be accomplished by anybody with a bat.

On the flip side, 250 wins is NOW the equivalent of 300 wins in the past. Clemens and Maddux are probably the only ones with 250, and even they may not get to 300 (although they probably will in a few years).

Ozzie Smith is just like Aparicio and Mazeroski (great fielders who made the HOF on their fielding)...but BOTH of them were selected by the OLD veteran's committee. If Ozzie doesn't get selected by the writers, he may be left out.

Then again, since he was so well liked, I bet Ozzie gets in before Murray (as Kevin pointed out earlier).

Old 09-16-2001, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Default Hall of Fame

Posted By: john

anyone who has over 500 homers and 3000 hits should be an automatic induction,regardless of how he treated the media....ozzie smith should be in because he is regarded as the best fielding shortstop ever and his hitting stats are very comparable to Luis Aparicio...as far as Dale Murphy,i think his BA is too low,and his amount of great years are low, basically from 82-87,dont forget he was batting in the 220's in his prime years 32-33,and did nothing after that,those arent hall of fame stats to me,i think Dwight Evans and Jim Rice should go in before him(no im not a red sox fan)...i feel Jim Kaat is under rated too for the simple fact that if he won 17 more games he would have been in probabaly 2nd ballot but he relieved in over 250 games in his career,which obviously took away from his win total,how many 300 game winners relieved that many times(ill give you a hint,its 0),plus throw in the 16 gold gloves...Along with Tommy John,and Bert Blyleven too if they had only 12 an 13 more wins respectively,they wouldve been in already,im sure they lost at least that many each from blown saves...my rant for the day,John

Old 09-16-2001, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Default Hall of Fame

Posted By: HalleyGator

So what about Andre Dawson?? Will he make it in?

Old 09-16-2001, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default Hall of Fame

Posted By: john

i think if Dave Parker didnt make Andre Dawson wont,they are both very similar players with overall career stats,very similar,both were national league all-star,outfielder who both won a few gold gloves,both hit for power,and each won one mvp,i think Parkers drug problem probably hurt his chances,while playing for the Expos for most and losing teams(cubs,marlins,except for 89,which he batted .105 in the playoffs) will hurt him.Parker was part of both the PIRATES teams of the 70's that were good and the A"s of the late 80's that were in the w.s. 3 times(2 yrs)....for borderline HOF'ers that seems to be important..and just the fact that im a Pirates fan,it would make me mad if Dawson made it,and Parker gets barely any consideration,check out their stats,they are very similar players

Old 09-17-2001, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Default Hall of Fame

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

He's definitely got the stats - no doubt about it.

But let's not forget that it's the BASEBALL WRITERS that vote on the recently retired players. Unlike Will Rogers, Eddie Murray never met a writer he didn't hate, so unless I miss my guess, they'll return the favor and make him sweat a little bit.

Old 09-19-2001, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Default Hall of Fame

Posted By: Scott Forrest

I think Mattingly will make it, and so will all the others you predicted. Murphy might and the rest are 'no's. I would like to see Frank Howard in - I still remember that Malto-meal commercial where it looked like he was hitting a golf ball out of the park.

Old 09-19-2001, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Default Hall of Fame

Posted By: Jay Miller

I agree about the players you say don't deserve to be in the HOF. However, I don't think O. Smith deserves to be in. If he does then does Omar Visquel when he retires. I also don't think that Dawson belongs in there. When he played I never thought of him as one of the top players in the game. How about guys who are playing now as likely candidates. I would say the following are all very likely: Gwynn, Piazza,Maddux, Clemens,P. Martinez, R. Alomar,McGwire, Sosa,Bonds,R. Johnson, Henderson, Bagwell, IRod and probably that hanger-on in Baltimore Ripken. Then you have all the young stars like Jeter,ARod, Rivera,Garciaparra?,etc. Lot of HOFers here. By the way you left a really good candidate off your list who I think deserves serious consideration---Albert Belle.

Old 09-20-2001, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Default Hall of Fame

Posted By: John

If Vizquel plays as long as Smith does his stats are going to be better then Smiths,he'll only be behind in stolen bases,but Vizquel is the all-time leader in fielding pct. for sortstops .983,he was before this year started,and all hes done this year is put up a .990 pct,so if Smith goes in Vizquel definitely should,so maybe they should just leave Smith out and put Vizquel in...but i think both will make it,shortstop is the most important defensive position and putting the 2 best def. shortstops in the hall of fame isnt gonna make the hall any worse just because they have average hitting stats,everyone will know theyre there because of their glove...both are highly comprable to Luis Aparicio,and i havent heard anyone say he doesnt belong in,and Aparicio himself said Vizquel is a future hall of famer

Old 09-20-2001, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Default Hall of Fame

Posted By: John

Mark Mcgwire is probably the most over rated player,hes going to make the hall based only on homeruns,if you take away 100 homers from him and add 500 hits and 20 points to his batting avg,he would be almost as good as Fred McGriff,and he barely gets a mention as a possible hall of famer....take away 100 homers and add 300 hits,200 stolen bases,and an mvp award,a 40-40 season and a world series ring,and hes as good as Jose Canseco,and he barely gets a hall mention...im not saying hes not a hall of famer,but look at his stats,hes no better then either one of those guys,just shows you how over-rated homer runs are,hes had some pretty bad seasons,hes gonna make the hall with 9 rob deer-like years out of 14 seasons....my rants over,sorry about that