NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Bry@n

Default A Question for Negative Collectors

No, I don't have a question for collectors who are always grumpy and bashing people - I have a question about actual negatives.

I have a few old nitrate negatives (pre 1907) that I want to get scanned (and maybe cleaned if they need it). I contacted a local place and they wanted $700 for the scans (and more for the cleaning).

These are my first negatives, but this seems like a crazy amount of money for something that should only take about 10 minutes (even if the machine is expensive).

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Scott Russell

I'm not negative, I'm just from Jersey...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Fred

Scott, that makes you immediately suspect....

Try the following for your negatives:

Doug Munson, Director
Chicago Albumen Works

P. O. Box 805 (USPS)
174 Front Street (FedEx, UPS)
Housatonic, MA 01236

413.274.6901 (office)
413.230.6696 (cell)
413.274.6934 (fax)
dmunson@albumenworks.com
www.albumenworks.com
Old 03-10-2017, 11:25 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

To make digital photos, you can try scanning them with a normal scanner and see how that works. That's how professional photographers and the Library of Congress do it-- I just don't know if their scanners are of much higher quality/power. I don't know, but I if you are wanting to make 8x10 digital photos or digitalize them for online, my guess is a normal scanner would do a good job.

Last edited by drcy; 03-10-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Dave

You can pick up an Epson Perfection V700 Flatbed Scanner or similar model for around $300-$400.

It's what I use for negatives and it can scan a plate or film up to 8x10 inches in size.

It uses a light source from the top of the scanner bed to develop the negatives and they come out nearly perfect.

You can use any photoshop style program to clean up the image if need be.

I use Paint.net which is an open source program and can be had for free from the publishers.

Cleaning the actual negative, I'm not sure about that.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:32 PM

Hey There Bryan,

Well I've been Very Impressed wit my Canon 9000F
Fir the Exact Purpose THaT You are Inquiring About!
Of course, I've been Using it for Various Negatives
From the 60's to the Present Day 35mm Negs...

However, it does come wit a resizable rack
THaT Allows fir the Negative to be Held fir a Grand Digital Scan!

It Also Comes wit the CC Ability
iN Order to Scan Slabbed Cards to a Perfection!

Its Very Affordable, imho...

As Fir the CleaniN...
I'm Fairly Brave!
However, I've been DoiN Photography since the Early 80's!
I would be Very Gentle wit No Chemicals to Start,
Maybe Try Using a Horse Hair Brush ta get ya Start'd !?!?

Here's a few Links to Get Ya GoiN!!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...9000f&_sacat=0

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=canon+9000f
Old 03-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Bry@n

Thank for the advice everyone.

I called Chicago Albumen Works and they have a minimum order of $165 so perhaps just buying a new scanner and giving it a go here first is my best bet.

Each negative is about 2" x 3" CORRECTION 3.25" x 4 3/8" and I worry they won't fit in the racks that these scanners come with. Does anyone know offhand of one that would accommodate negatives of this size? Can I scan the negatives right on the glass without a holder?

Last edited by Jobu; 03-12-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Thank for the advice everyone.

I called Chicago Albumen Works and they have a minimum order of $165 so perhaps just buying a new scanner and giving it a go here first is my best bet.

Each negative is about 2" x 3" and I worry they won't fit in the racks that these scanners come with. Does anyone know offhand of one that would accommodate negatives of this size? Can I scan the negatives right on the glass without a holder?

The one I mentioned scans up to an 8x10 negative. It does not have racks. It comes with place holders to scan right on the glass, or you can crop yourself with a preview scan to gain more control over the process.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

I've scanned negatives both larger and smaller than the usual 35mm that my scanner has a light for (Which never worked! ) By placing a lightbox on top of them and scanning. The light box is a simple thing used in sewing and art to help trace patterns. Not all that expensive either.

This one is like what my wife has.

http://www.joann.com/light-tracer-li...n/4128500.html

This one is small and inexpensive, but they say "bulb" for the light which makes me think it may be a regular one. That might generate too much heat for nitrate.

http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...FngaAr7I8P8HAQ

Steve B
Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I was imagining 35mm film. 2x3 inches is pretty big and I'd imagine you'd have success going the scanning route.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Bry@n

Thank you all. I will buy a new scanner and give it a go. I have Paint.net so I can edit the images once I have scanned them.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:49 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Epson has 3 scanner models that will do negatives larger than 35mm: Epson Perfection 4990, V700 and V800 (in order from oldest to newest models). I'm not aware of any other affordable models that will do scans of the full scanner bed, but there might be others that would do the size you need. It's been a while since I've looked into it since I am very satisfied with my V700.

If you go with another model though, just be sure to verify the maximum size film it will scan. There are many that will do 35mm, but not so many that will do larger.

Before getting one of those, I also tried the lightbox on top method, but always had issues with either getting the light levels right, or the fluorescent bulb it used causing interference that created noise or slight distortion in the high-res scans. It did a passable job for lower resolution scans such as for web display though. I could see going that route if you just had a handful of negatives to scan, but it would be cumbersome to have to do a large number that way.