NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: The least amount of time between bumping a thread to the top in the BST should be?
2 days 23 11.27%
3 days 47 23.04%
4 days 38 18.63%
5 days 26 12.75%
6 days 0 0%
7 days 62 30.39%
Never 4 1.96%
What is a BST? 4 1.96%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default A BST rule about bumping. Should there be one?

As much as I dislike implementing rules I feel having a discussion about one would be a good idea. A thousand things can be discussed, but for this discussion the topic is concerning bumping (responding in a BST section thread for the sole purpose (and no thinly veiled attempts please) of making a listing go to the top. We have a very, very active BST section and it is time consuming to manage; so I don't want to. It can get a bit tiresome always going around having to police someone bumping their thread to the top too often. I am thinking of having a hard rule of not bumping a thread more than every 4+/- days, for the sole purpose of bumping it. Again, if anyone tries to play the system it won't work for long. Our members are quite the sleuth slayers. And so we can get a flavor the poll will have some options. All members thoughts are appreciated but if you talk about something else I reserve the right to get us back on track. Thanks for your divided attention.

Last edited by Leon; 07-23-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I use the New Posts function to pop in periodically and it is very irritating to see someone bump a post daily. Bump it on day 4 and if it doesn't sell after the 7th day, bump once more then let it die.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-23-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Luke Lyon

If the seller isn't adding dropping prices, I think one time after 7 days is enough. Then if it hasn't sold and they want to bump it every few months, that seems fine.

Items don't all of a sudden sell after the 7th bump at the same price (or with a tiny price drop).

It's a very small % of members (and really only one comes to mind right now) that clutter up the BST with over-priced threads and bumping them every few days. I would love to see a rule or guideline that makes that go away. Can you imagine if everyone posted a $30 T206 at $150 and bumped it every 3 days? The BST would be unbearable. The fact that only a few people do this shows that the overwhelming majority of members are courteous, but a rule to make the 1% stop would probably be very welcome.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Jason Albregts

It might just be me, but I think the multiple listing rule is abused just as much. Some guys will post five different "WTB" listings, while others will create three or more "For Sale" posts in the same section.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:33 AM
S Gross

Personally I really don't see bumping as a major problem.

I think adding rules "could" cause a kerfuffle

I voted 7 days, if you are not going to change price/card. But I have no problem with shorter bump times if reducing prices and/or adding cards. However, that's were things could get "un-ruley." You'd get into how much a drop would be significant, etc.

I like (and try to keep) to the 3 posts on the first page rule. Simple to follow, for simple minds like me.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:03 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I voted four days, but that's if the seller is not adding new material or dropping the price.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Leon what would be the max bump limit that one could do ? maybe based on a poll between how many days between bumps which you have with a max limit of bumps

Last edited by rgpete; 07-23-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Marc

Generally, I am of the opinion that the fewer rules the better. I think that the vast majority of B/S/T users are courteous in their listing and bumping practices. Personally, I don't think that there should ever need to be a bump in a listing before 3 or 4 days at the earliest. I also think that like cards listed at the same time should be combined into one thread, rather than individually listing multiple different T206 cards, for example, in separate threads (which causes others' listings to fall down the page quicker and thus causes those posters to want to bump theirs more).

I imagine that it would be somewhat of a hassle for the moderator(s) to have to police these things all the time though, so a few basic hard rules to that effect would probably make it clearer and easier for everybody.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default yes

Yes. 4 days would be good. I also agree that the number of threads should be limited. A few weeks ago, a former member had 17 different threads on the front page of the baseball memorabilia bst.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:31 PM
Ronald Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdelpercio View Post
Generally, I am of the opinion that the fewer rules the better. I think that the vast majority of B/S/T users are courteous in their listing and bumping practices. Personally, I don't think that there should ever need to be a bump in a listing before 3 or 4 days at the earliest. I also think that like cards listed at the same time should be combined into one thread, rather than individually listing multiple different T206 cards, for example, in separate threads (which causes others' listings to fall down the page quicker and thus causes those posters to want to bump theirs more).

I imagine that it would be somewhat of a hassle for the moderator(s) to have to police these things all the time though, so a few basic hard rules to that effect would probably make it clearer and easier for everybody.

Common sense by the posters, and certain guidelines set the moderator, a listing 7 days or more is fair for a bump or when off the current page.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:32 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

I voted for 7 days. But I think you should be allowed to bump once your thread falls to the second page.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The board's (MO) modus operandi has always been as few rules as possible. I am not dead set on instituting a rule only discussing it. And if there is no issue then I don't want to make one either. We can also have this same discussion concerning the number of threads a member has open on the front page at one time. It drives me batty when I seen cards listed individually, right in a row, from the same series. But so far, with the feedback, I am not seeing it be an issue with bumping. I guess we can do as usual and take them as a one off and tell folks not to do is so much. I would like to see everyone wait at least 3 days and probably 4.....but that is just me and I can't see making a rule if it's not needed.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:46 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Beware of the malicious price drop exemption. Aggressively priced cards should not be allowed to be bumped more frequently due to a nominal price drop.

If an interval is decided upon, it should be applied to all listings regardless of price drops, content manipulation and whatever.

All listing changes can be accomplished by editing the original listing ( and title if one chooses ) without bumping the thread.

All of the above would be easy to police simply by checking the post and bump dates.

How to manage chatter bumps, as in the Lenox Cobb listing, is an entirely different issue and a blanket rule could be difficult to formulate. Incidental chatter that results from the ingenuity of the lister should not be persecuted in my venerated opinion.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:22 PM
Ronald Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The board's (MO) modus operandi has always been as few rules as possible. I am not dead set on instituting a rule only discussing it. And if there is no issue then I don't want to make one either. We can also have this same discussion concerning the number of threads a member has open on the front page at one time. It drives me batty when I seen cards listed individually, right in a row, from the same series. But so far, with the feedback, I am not seeing it be an issue with bumping. I guess we can do as usual and take them as a one off and tell folks not to do is so much. I would like to see everyone wait at least 3 days and probably 4.....but that is just me and I can't see making a rule if it's not needed.

The manner of operation is going to stay the same with no changes
Old 07-23-2016, 02:42 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

I voted 7 days, if an item is priced right it won't last that long!

I also think anyone posting a for sale thread should have their name showing.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:48 PM
Bill O

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
Common sense by the posters, and certain guidelines set the moderator, a listing 7 days or more is fair for a bump or when off the current page.
+1
Old 07-23-2016, 02:51 PM

Based on all factors having to do with this forum if an item hasn't sold within 72 hours it likely won't sell without a price drop of some sort.

I would vote 3 days for the first bump. If no listed price, no allowable bumps after that. If price is dropping then one bump every 3 days.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:32 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

I voted 3 days which is sort of the way I've been policing it over the past few years. I find that 3 days is kind of the average amount of time it takes for a post to hit the 2nd page so I always thought it was a good benchmark.

With bumping, there's also some exceptions. If something about the listing is changing (ie...cards being added or sold, the prices change, scans get added....etc..) then I've always given leeway to a certain extent. Although if you list 50 cards for individual sale and bump the thread every time a card gets sold, that gets annoying pretty quick!

Also, if someone asks a question and the seller answers it, that's also not a bump in my opinion because you're just responding to another board member.

So there's little bit of "grey area" when it comes to thread bumping I suppose...
Old 07-23-2016, 03:58 PM
Bob Donaldson

Leon

Whatever is easiest for you!

Bob
Old 07-23-2016, 04:12 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

I've always done about 3-4 days. I do find that a bit excessive now. I think a 5-7 days would be best now.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 07-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Bill Lucier

ttt
Old 07-23-2016, 05:14 PM
ThreadKiller

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstyearcards View Post
ttt
lol
Old 07-23-2016, 05:26 PM
Jeff H

I went with 4 days. If someone is interested in the item, it will get bumped to the top by the interested party asking a question. I think the seller should only be allowed one bump per item and should only be allowed 3 items max on the first page. I think if the the item has not sold with a bump after the 4th day there's a pretty good chance that the item is not going to sell.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:18 AM
Daniel

Default Let's Be Frank

yeh,whatever Frank said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Beware of the malicious price drop exemption. Aggressively priced cards should not be allowed to be bumped more frequently due to a nominal price drop.

If an interval is decided upon, it should be applied to all listings regardless of price drops, content manipulation and whatever.

All listing changes can be accomplished by editing the original listing ( and title if one chooses ) without bumping the thread.

All of the above would be easy to police simply by checking the post and bump dates.

How to manage chatter bumps, as in the Lenox Cobb listing, is an entirely different issue and a blanket rule could be difficult to formulate. Incidental chatter that results from the ingenuity of the lister should not be persecuted in my venerated opinion.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Al Richter

Default Regulation

I wonder if the possibility of regulation will lead to a short term increase in bumping
Old 07-24-2016, 10:33 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I wonder if the possibility of regulation will lead to a short term increase in bumping

Hilarious!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Respect Leon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG9z...RDwG9z61JaAtE#

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:50 PM
Greg Mitchell

I've always done not sooner than 7 days and usually with a price cut.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Awesome. "Ain't gonna bump no more no big fat woman, Gettin' on down"