NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2016, 12:13 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

of crabs from their shell?
Old 06-19-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
of crabs from their shell?
Multipurpose tools.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:30 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

table saw* straight thru the middle of the flip, pliers, short-handled flat head screwdriver and gloves.

never came close to damaging a card or a hand.

easy peasy, japanesee.

* appropriate blade is key
Old 06-19-2016, 01:56 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I like to crack them out so that when I send them through the mail, the person opening the package will cut through the card.

Too soon?
Never too soon for intelligent humor. I spewed my slurpee on that one...

Well done.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:57 AM
Bill O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Never too soon for intelligent humor. I spewed my slurpee on that one...

Well done.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:59 AM
Bill O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I like to crack them out so that when I send them through the mail, the person opening the package will cut through the card.

Too soon?

Oops I meant this one
Old 06-19-2016, 06:00 AM
Raymond Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
Because it didn't get the grade they expected. Less grade = less money for the greedy people.

Prime example: I purchased THE Allegeheny Mathewson after it had been regraded from a '6' to a '5' and paid about half what the previous buyer had paid...what a moron!

...and that's the reason there are two listings for that card in the pop report.

IMO - If nothing else, cracking slabs to be regraded skews what would otherwise be a dependable information source (SMR) .

MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-19-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:38 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
I just don't understand why one would buy a slabbed card and then crack it out of the case.
I crack slabs for cards I store in binders. I generally prefer to put a few hundred low-mid grade raw cards into a binder than to stack larger graded holders in boxes. I'll buy a card raw or graded, but many (maybe even the majority of) sellers sell graded cards. Its only the card I'm after, regardless of what it is stored in.

Quote:
It screws up the pop reports which are probably nowhere near correct anyway.
I would guess that the pop reports are skewed more up by the crack-and-resubmit game players than by the raw card collectors.

Quote:
You're taking greater risk at the card getting harmed.
Probably. However, we've seen examples of cards getting damaged in holders (I believe most were SGC with the black insert). And the holder won't stop UV damage to those who enjoy displaying cards in sunlit rooms.

Quote:
And whomever submitted it spent quite a decent chunk of change getting it slabbed.
Agreed. They could've spent that slab money on more cards!
Old 06-19-2016, 06:58 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default cracking

I have purchased cards, from all 3 grading companies, that were incorrectly slabbed. Why keep a Holsum Bread card in a Beckett slab when it is really a Weil Baking card? Also, I am converting all of my personal collection of early 1900's cards to SGC because I like the way they look and I want my display to look uniform. So, I have cracked my Beckett and PSA cards to submit them to SGC.

Now, if I had a Jordan rookie or a nice Mantle, I would keep them in their PSA slabs.

T213-2 122 down 63 to go.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:32 AM
Marc

Default Unslabbing

Maybe it is because I also collect old books (or just because I'm strange), but I hate that you can't touch or smell a slabbed card.