NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Taylor Hamilton

Default Ebay buyer protection question

Hey guys -

Looking to pick up a card for my collection on eBay. It is not graded but a thorough review of the scans make me believe it is authentic. I am not concerned about grade but purely the authenticity of it. Once I receive the card, if I send it to PSA and it comes back as "unauthentic" what recoruse do I have to get my money back? Is it worth the gamble? this card only comes up once or twice a year.

thank you,

Taylor

Last edited by T_Hamilton; 05-24-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:57 AM
Bry@n

It depends on what the listing says - is it listed as a reprint or does it clearly state that it is authentic (both in the description and the listing details)? Do they have a return policy? You can also ask the seller specific questions - Ebay can see your questions and the seller's answers if there is a dispute later.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:04 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Right, as Bryan said, the ebay listing must list the card as original to the time period. If it states the card is a reprint or "unknown," then you would not be protected by ebay.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Taylor Hamilton

It doesnt list the card as an original/authentic, nor does it list the card as a reprint. Additionally, the buyer has strong feedback and a 30 day money back return policy. Assume that allows enough time for me to get the card, sent it to PSA and then hear back?
Old 05-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Bry@n

The 30-day money back will be plenty of time provided that you submit it with a relatively fast turn around time (ie a monthly special almost certainly won't be enough time). Feel free to PM the link to me and I will let you know what I think (I promise not to buy it!).
Old 05-24-2016, 01:22 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hamilton View Post
It doesnt list the card as an original/authentic, nor does it list the card as a reprint. Additionally, the buyer has strong feedback and a 30 day money back return policy. Assume that allows enough time for me to get the card, sent it to PSA and then hear back?
Ask the seller if the card is authentic and keep the correspondence. I see a potential problem in the seller claiming a different card was sent to PSA so the card would have to some identifying mark.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
Ask the seller if the card is authentic and keep the correspondence. I see a potential problem in the seller claiming a different card was sent to PSA so the card would have to some identifying mark.
Agree...CYA if you can.....
Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 PM
James
James Kin.chen

The seller's return policy means nothing if the cards turns out to be fake and you have to file an Ebay not as described claim. Even if the time runs out with Ebay you can file a claim through Paypal for up to 180 days after the listing ended.
James
Old 05-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Bill Gregory

As has already been stated here, document everything. I would have the seller take another picture/scan of the card with his Ebay id clearly visible (if they haven't already). Keep that, and note anything that makes the card uniquely identifiable. Keep any correspondence you have with the seller. Don't let them beat around the bush. Be firm, but polite, and tell them you need to know, definitively, that the card is being sold as an original.

It saddens me greatly that we have to take such precautions in our hobby, but it's always best to be proactive. You almost have to approach it from the mindset of "am I doing everything necessary to ensure that I could win a dispute, and get my money back?" You're thinking critically, Taylor, and that's great. A healthy amount of skepticism is a necessity, and any legitimate seller who is dealing with you ethically will appreciate, and understand, what you're doing. I've only sold cards a few times, granted, but whenever I'm dealing with a buyer, I will do whatever is necessary to assuage any concerns they might have. Reputation is everything in our hobby, and you're not only protecting yourself, but you're also creating an expectation with these sellers that you're a fair, but discerning customer. That kind of reputation gets around, and will only benefit you in the future.

Good luck with your potential buy, and should you get this card in, I'd love to see it!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:27 PM
je.sse @rnot

All great advice so far. Ask him to guarantee in an ebay email that the card is authentic and unaltered, and can be returned if PSA says otherwise. Also, pay through Paypal with an American Express. That way even if you some how lose an Ebay and Paypal dispute you can still get your money back.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Val Kehl

I usually ask the seller to guarantee that the card will receive a numerical grade from either PSA or SGC, unless the card is obviously altered.
Val
Old 05-29-2016, 10:33 PM
Taylor Hamilton

Well ... I won the auction... 1932 World Series Game 3 ticket stub. From the game that Ruth called his shot

Not a card but wanted to show you guys as you have been so helpful. Thoughts now?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...78#post1544578