NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-09-2016, 03:11 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Interesting New 1972 Hank Aaron IA Variation...

I was gathering cards to update my 'Errors & Variations-a-palooza' thread when I glanced at my 1972 Ken Boswell IA card (with the red streak in front of him) and took a cue from the T206 guys (who are using plate scratches to back engineer the proposed sheet layouts of those cards) and decided to check out who was next to Ken on the Topps sheet. Well, it turned out to be none other than Hank Aaron IA. After looking at a ton of his cards, I found something extremely interesting. If you follow the streak on the Boswell card, you can see it 'continues' across Hammerin' Hank's thighs and into the Shea Stadium grass on a small number of his cards. It's a little lighter red/pink on his card, but there it is. Just train your eyes. Funny how I never noticed it before. Although the lines seem to connect almost perfectly, I'm unsure whether they are, in fact, related or if they are just two separate aberrations. Logically speaking, I think the latter is a more likely scenario, since the streaks only appear on the photographs themselves and NOT on any part of the borders. Aaron is the end card on the sheet, so there are no cards to his right and Steve Renko IA is to Boswell's left. After looking at a large number of his cards, I found no evidence of the red line continuing in that direction.

Pretty cool!!

72boswellaaron.jpg

Here's a closeup version of another Aaron card with the streak…
72aaronstreakcloseup.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:37 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Looks like it's about the size of a hair.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:22 AM

Default 72 Aaron

Your pics are compelling...it sure appears as if the streak extends into the Aaron card. I never noticed that before. Good catch Darren.

Z
Old 02-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Larry More.y

Hopefully Al R will see this, as last I knew, he was still looking for this variation.

The line on the Aaron has always appeared to me to be much lighter than the line on the Boswell card, plus as mentioned, the lines do not appear to cross any borders, so my guess is that they are unrelated.

In other cases where lines continue from one card to another, in most all of these cases, the edges of the cards are crossed by the line.

post 240
http://net54baseball.com/showthread....187722&page=24

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 02-09-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:51 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

There are a few currently on COMC. The BGS 6 one has it, as well as one of Dean's VG cards. So it's definitely a recurring print defect. I'm thinking maybe a hair over the magenta printing plate? That's why the ink is pink?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:14 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Yeah, whenever I post about a new variation I investigate it to make sure it's not a one time thing (I even showed 2 different ones in this post). That goes without saying.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Yeah, whenever I post about a new variation I investigate it to make sure it's not a one time thing (I even showed 2 different ones in this post). That goes without saying.
Unfortunately, while this Aaron is an interesting variation, it is not a newly identified one. I picked my copy up of it a year ago, and it has appeared on Richard Dingman's variation list for the past year. Whenever I post about a "new" variation I usually take a quick look at his list (as he consistently updates his list as posters here discover new print variations) so I do not call out a previously identified variation as new.

Here is a link to his list: https://sites.google.com/site/richarddingmancards/
Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Al Richter

Default Variants

Richard is a great resource, in the same league as Mr. Gilckeson. Also appreciate Darren's input. And Saved. A lot of good variant stuff has been set out in here

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-10-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:53 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Nice! I love referring to sheets to see if a print flaw carries over to the next card. It's like putting a puzzle together!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Al Richter

Default 1972

Finally got one of the Aarons. I had a Boswell. Not sure how visible the line or scratch is in scan of the graded card. It also has some discoloration on his pant leg. Also noticed how different the brightness compared to my regular one