NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-09-2015, 05:40 AM
Mark

Default Estate Planning - Sell or Donate?

Hey guys,

Since we are just temporary custodians of these historic artifacts, I was curious what others have planned for their collections after passing away. Will you consign it all to one auction house, donate it to a university/museum, pass it to a loved one, bury yourself with it?

Has anyone else given this much thought?

Mark
Old 10-09-2015, 06:45 AM

It's a good question, and something a lot of us should be thinking about.

I have already begun the process. I am selling about 70 percent of my collection now to relieve my family of the burden and to help pay for college tuition.

I think in many cases, it may be tough for a family to figure out what to do with your collection, if you were to suddenly pass. For the part of my collection I am keeping, I have formally arranged with two trusted people in the hobby to liquidate on behalf of my family.
There are also estate and inheritance laws to consider -- are your heirs better off if you give them items or money before or after you pass?

I am also in the process of donating/loaning my collection of local baseball memorabilia to an area museum/library.

There is obviously a lot to consider, so as with so much else in life, it's good to plan ahead.

Greg
Old 10-09-2015, 08:53 AM
J Stone

Very good topic.

I recently started working part time for a small-time auction company that mostly deals in abandoned property but also works with estates and we've done several where the estate had some kind of collection.

Now mind you none of the collections were world class but I can offer a few insights that I hope will be of some help if you care about what happens to your collections.

1) If you have any plan or hope to pass your collections along to any person or persons, or have a desire to donate your collection to an institution such as a museum, start at least thinking about it NOW. Have a casual conversation with the person or persons, and contact the donations department of the institution you are thinking about donating to and find out about their policies.

2) Make an inventory and try to keep it up to date. Even if the values fluctuate either way in the future, it is a great help to the estate planner or whomever is handling your estate to identify. At least keep a list of any very high value items. Most estate folks are not versed at all in sports memorabilia and wouldn't know a Cracker Jack card from a 1948 Leaf. They'll do some cursory searches on eBay, and if it's really rare they won't find any pricing and some will assume it has no value (I picked up a really neat item this way in a competitor's auction that was buried in a box lot of "junk" that sold for $1.00)

3) You're going to have to trust me on this, but unless there is some sentimental value attached to your sports collections or individual items, 95% of those items are going to be sold off ASAP unless the person you give them to is a fellow collector. And it is very likely that the money garnered from a sale by someone who doesn't know what they have is going to far less than if you just sold the item off and gave them the money.

We are in Northern California, and the vast majority of the estates we have done the underlying desire is, "we are going to sell the house, we just want it cleared out." As most of you probably know, housing prices in California are insane. Despite the fact that the people we deal with grew up in these houses, they can't wait to cash in.

4) If you have a significant collection, I would highly recommend doing what Greg described in the first reply. Make some kind of arrangement with a trusted friend or fellow collector (a formal agreement with some kind of compensation arragement) who knows what you have and how to best deal with it. Make sure you have a will and whomever you designate as the executor make sure they have current contact information for your trusted friend.

5) If your total estate is going to be worth over $1 million it is VITAL that you both have a will and you consult an estate attorney. Last year I got a contract job to deal with the estate of a hoarder who left everything to his ex-wife. Although he had a will, he didn't set up any trusts or plan how best protect his assets. So what was a $21M estate, the ex-wife apparently ended up with "only" about $6M when all was said and done (the bulk of the "missing" money was in an offshore bank account and the IRS fought the estate for a big chunk of it), and of course lawyers took a big chunk of it.

6) If you have a significant collection and want to donate it to an institution, you should make some contacts and arrangements well ahead of time. You should find out generally, who handles such donations, what the name of their position is (they may not be the contact person when your donation comes around), and what the institution plans on doing with the collection. My limited experience in this case is that most museums and institutions are picky about what they will add to collections, and will often sell off unwanted items, usually in some kind of revenue split arrangement with a third party.

7) At the moment, the general state of the market for used items (estate sales and auctions like ours) is really, really, soft for just about everything except the high end. The buyers who come to our auctions are mostly flippers and are willing to pay very little for the risk. It's been somewhat sad to see entire house contents sell for under $3000 sometimes knowing that the person spent a lifetime accumulating those things. The experience has made me totally think hard about what "things" I choose to keep in my life.

8) This is probably the most important piece of advice I can give. If you have multiple heirs, give them a plan on how to divide up your assets. Two of the jobs we did were for families who were completely torn apart over fighting over what to do with the assets of the estate when two or more siblings want the same things. In one case, the oldest son was so disgusted with the way his sisters were acting they had actually stopped speaking to each other. On the other end of the scale, one family came up with a unique and I felt very smart way to divide up the property. For anything that multiple siblings wanted they "auctioned" it between themselves and they money went back into the estate which of course, some of which would eventually come back to the "winner".

Hope this provides some food for thought.

Last edited by MooseDog; 10-11-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:07 AM
Tom Boblitt

Great, detailed note from MooseDog.......I will likely be selling at some point because no one in my house is really interested in the stuff. I don't see donating it to any type of museum, library or otherwise as, in the case with Burdick's stuff, they just don't have the space to display it and even storage can be an issue as well. I just don't think they want the stuff ultimately. If you want to benefit someone like a museum or library, sell the stuff and give them the money. I would like to think I will designate a few pieces for each of my kids to hang onto but ultimately, who knows......the estate planning is a great note as is proper wills as issues after death are and can be really confusing and taxing--both from attorneys and from the state/government.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Mark

Fantastic advice guys! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I've all ready begun this process and I am only 40 years old.

My unique, one of a kind pieces are slowly being donated to several university archives. However they are pretty selective on what they accept, given their limited space. The bulk of my collection (mostly vintage autographs) is slowly being sold off to private collectors. My wife and son don't have a clue about this hobby. I can see someone easily taking advantage of them.

Last edited by cfhofer; 10-09-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:21 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Never too early. My brother collected video games like we do cards. He had his PC and stuff he bought to trade and sell. He nearly doubled his teaching income by dealing games. He was 29 when we lost him very suddenly and unexpectedly. I packed up his nearly 10000 games. He kept excellent records of what was in his collection, the stuff that matters to me, and what he had picked up to sell. He even had purchase prices for each game he had. It made it much easier for me to navigate my way through something I knew nothing about.

I haven't been able to bring myself to sell any of it. I know the day will come when I do and I am very grateful that I have his records to go off of.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Grant Rainsley

I recently talked to my daughter about this topic after a health scare. Have asked her to take it all and sell it if mortality was to set in. Told her to figure out how to maximize her profit (Ebay etc.) I said I don't care what she does with the money, she can put it towards a nice trip if she wants. Her reaction? "That has a very nice trip to Europe written all over it." Works for me. It isn't to soon for any of us to plan a course of action.
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 10-09-2015, 12:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I did archive work for a museum and can advice two things about donating to a museum. One pick one where the material is relavant to to the museum. The one I worked for had a narrow historical focus and some of the stuff was not in alignment.

The other is see how the museum documents their stuff. While all stuff can't and won't be displayed, some museums these days record everything they receive in a library-like computer database, many that are accesable to the public online and picture the items. This means that anything that isn't displayed at the museum can be researched and viewed online, and used by students, historians etc in person-- and not just sitting in boxes in dusty back rooms. You want a museum that does this. The museum I worked for did this and part of my job description was assessing and documenting donations. Though all the non-displayed items were securely housed in a special room and a student or historian needed appointment/permission to access the material in person, the non-displayed items were documented and ordered in a library-like style with all the items searchable on the museum's computers. It was very much like a library-- which was a good thing for the donors.

I should add that that the historical museum I archived for was part of an educational center, and the financial value of the items donated was not important but the historical relevance. It was not like consigning to a big auction house where the donor had to wonder "Is it worth enough for them to want it?"

Last edited by drcy; 10-09-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:54 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I will sell at some point everything except what my kid directly wants if and when I have a kid.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Al

Lately I've been thinking whats the point of collecting since we can't take it with us! As I get older, I prefer to have the cash than cards. Great topic!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Jim Murphy

I sold it all and purchased a beach house
Old 10-10-2015, 12:05 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I recently sold (almost all of ) my Topps sets in order to finance a new body part. (hip)

But I'm still too addicted to 'the chase' to consider the final deposition / destination of the rest of my collection.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-10-2015, 11:28 PM
Al

The dilemma i face is this. after selling some of my collection, i was finally able to get my debt under control! not that. that is settled, i often think, should i sell EVERYTHING in my collection after over 40 years in the hobby and buy my dream car (a 1960's muscle car)/ part of me says sell everything, walk away from the hobby and purchase my dream car and enjoy it and enjoy life! another part of me says, i have put 40+ years into my collection and too just sell everything..i have attachment issues! another side of the coin is, i think i would get more enjoyment in a classic sports muscle car than cards/autographs sitting in a box collecting dust! but then baseball cards/autographs have been my passion for 40+ years, but then thoughts of driving that car are awesome..i would enjoy both equally but can only do one....see my dilemma! what to do? what to do?

Last edited by hawaiian bam bam; 10-10-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:25 AM
Shale Levine

Default sold on EBAY

At one time I had over 150 baseball board and bagatelle games in addition to all my autographed balls. As I reached my 60's I didn't want to leave my wife or kids to have to get rid of them so I started selling them on eBay about 6 years ago. Letting things go was tough but I am now down to only about 40 games plus my autographs and I only but old Dodger memorabilia now.

Here is what I had before I started to sell;
http://keymancollectibles.com/showcase/showcase13.htm
Old 10-11-2015, 07:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I just sold off most all of my collection because I needed to fund college for my daughter AND it was time to take the proverbial chips off of the table. I had the piles of chips too high for my tastes.
I had only collected for around 20 yrs though. I am still collecting but in a different manner. And now, I will have college paid for, the house paid for and a lot more savings......and I am still doing the same thing I was. Every time I miss a card I scroll over to my bank account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian bam bam View Post
The dilemma i face is this. after selling some of my collection, i was finally able to get my debt under control! not that. that is settled, i often think, should i sell EVERYTHING in my collection after over 40 years in the hobby and buy my dream car (a 1960's muscle car)/ part of me says sell everything, walk away from the hobby and purchase my dream car and enjoy it and enjoy life! another part of me says, i have put 40+ years into my collection and too just sell everything..i have attachment issues! another side of the coin is, i think i would get more enjoyment in a classic sports muscle car than cards/autographs sitting in a box collecting dust! but then baseball cards/autographs have been my passion for 40+ years, but then thoughts of driving that car are awesome..i would enjoy both equally but can only do one....see my dilemma! what to do? what to do?
Old 10-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Al

ive also thought alot lately, that what if i could have back every single penny i spent on my hobby the past 40+ years! its mind blowing if you think about how much we spend on this hobby over the years.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I'm in that situation now. At 70 years old, I feel its time to start letting it go. I have already put some at auction and plan to get rid of a lot of it in the Spring auctions. I plan to keep about 30 items and sell the rest. All kinds of stuff, not just cards. Have been collecting for about 35 years and enjoyed it very much. Nobody in my family has any interest in it, so I figure since I know a little about this stuff its better that I sell it. Frank
Old 10-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Al

This thread has seriously opened my eyes for the better! My fear has always been that I'll be too old to enjoy my collection one day. I mean what am I going to do one day when I am in a nursing home, sit in my room and stare at a box of my autographs? I enjoy them now off course but I always think how will I enjoy then in keys say 30 years from now ? Maybe it's better to sell it all now and use that money to enjoy life now! Thank you for this thread as I thought I was the only one with this dilemma. They always say life is short and enjoy life today and live in the now! An example is, awhile back I sold a Roy Campanella autograph for $500. I paid $500 for it so I broke even on it. I didn't make a profit , just got back what I paid for it . I did miss the signed card a lot but to be honest it sure was nice to have five Benjamin's in my pocket instead!

Last edited by hawaiian bam bam; 10-11-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:34 PM

my collection will go with me inside my coffin lol. seriously though I have told my wife to sell everything she doesn't want to keep to make her and my daughters life easier when I am gone.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:51 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I disposed of a collection for a friend. It was hard and it took a long time. Ended up with about $50K for his family piecing it out which I thought was pretty good. Learned a lot. Would be able to scratch out a little more if I had a do-over, but I would not want to do it again.

It got me thinking about thinning the herd, but the herd keeps growing.

I will probably sell some in the coming years.

My son is interested in it and I will probably leave him one key item, however I love him too much to leave my collection to him. The best thing about collecting is the process and satisfaction of completing a set or run of cards and the friends you make along the way. If he decides to continue to collect, it would be cruel for me to rob him of that.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 10-14-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post

We are in Northern California, and the vast majority of the estates we have done the underlying desire is, "we are going to sell the house, we just want it cleared out." As most of you probably know, housing prices in California are insane. Despite the fact that the people we deal with grew up in these houses, they can't wait to cash in.

7) At the moment, the general state of the market for used items (estate sales and auctions like ours) is really, really, soft for just about everything except the high end. The buyers who come to our auctions are mostly flippers and are willing to pay very little for the risk. It's been somewhat sad to see entire house contents sell for under $3000 sometimes knowing that the person spent a lifetime accumulating those things. The experience has made me totally think hard about what "things" I choose to keep in my life.
I had to "dispose" of my Mom's estate and house 10 years ago. I wouldn't say I couldn't "wait to cash in," but my Mom was in a different state and I did need to clear out and sell the house.

I was happy with the auction company but I must echo what MooseDog said...most of her stuff sold for pennies on the dollar. $5000 couches were sold for 100 bucks. The only things that made any decent money were formica or fiberglass "mid-century modern" pieces. The auction company did a good job of advertising the sale on their website and I'm sure if there had been baseball stuff, "us guys" would have been there.