NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Dan Mabey

Default 1963 Post #152 HANK AARON ERROR CARD

As promised, I am sharing the image of the 1963 Post #152 Hank Aaron ERROR card destined to be part of the 7-card panel from Oat Flakes 15 ounce. As documented in "Postage Due", the entire line of this specific variety and size of cereal was dropped shortly before rollout of the promotion. The withdrawal of Oat Flakes 15 ounce is responsible for the majority of scarce short prints in the set.

The 7-card panel contains Chuck Cottier, Ken Hubbs, Lee Thomas, Charlie James, Hank Aaron (with a photo of Tommie), John Powell, and Tom Haller. I own the original copy art/paste-up with edits and strike-outs noted by Howard T. Slutz. Slutz worked with Mssrs Fred Smart, Turner, and Bill Betts in the Post cereal Art Department located in Battle Creek, Michigan.

The card image is extracted directly from the original copy art, and colorized to duplicate the format of the entire set. I trust that my fellow Post and JELL-O enthusiasts will act responsibly in enjoying the image. Please be mindful that I secured, and have on record, written authorization from Post and parent organization attorneys to portray the 1961-63 Post cereal baseball cards solely for hobby illustrative purposes. In other words, do not counterfeit the Aaron error card for personal gain.

KEEP ME POSTED!

Dan Mabey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1963 Post Aaron0002.jpg (80.1 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by keepmeposted; 04-09-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Concern over misuse of image
Old 04-09-2015, 06:54 AM
P*ter Me@d

Default concerns about the current "replicas" on ebay

Good morning Dan:

And thanks for sharing such a great card (even if it is from the copy boards)--along with the background story.

There have been a slew of "replicas" being offered on ebay recently of many short prints from the Post sets--Aspromonte, Billy Williams, the 62 blue line variations, and today I saw a lot with two Jerry Adairs, Kasko and Yaz from the 63 set. These are photographic reproductions and sold as such--but I can only imagine what some unethical sellers will do downstream.

These replicas are just wrong.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Dan Mabey

Default 1963P Baseball Counterfeits, Replicas, and Reprints

Hi, Peter.

Once upon a time, there was an outcry from collectors and dealers in the hobby pertaining to the subject issue. I vividly remember heated and animated debates opposing the practice beginning in 1975 that were aired in TS, BHN, and SCD and (as we used to refer to them) baseball card shows.

Initially, the relatively few proponents of generating fake cards and memorabilia stated it was a wonderful way to expose and allow newbies to enjoy cards they couldn't find or afford. As time progressed, the investment and speculation aspects of baseball card collecting precipitated recasting of this once relatively innocent pastime into the "organized" hobby, then the "sports card industry". This evolution opened the door for introduction of professional grading services, to supposedly lend a an air of sophistication, legitimacy, and policing of the industry. Once again, there was heated debate.

I never engaged in the debate, but my perspective never changed. I acquired genuine "raw" cards. I paid and traded for genuine cards in conditions I could afford. I couldn't afford then -- let alone now -- many cards I would have enjoyed having in my collection. I also didn't feel I needed an executive in a suit with a briefcase to lecture me on card conditions, or convince me that only professionally graded cards encased in plastic tombs could be enjoyed or declared to have value.

Fortunately, I had completed the majority of the major bubble gum, cookie, and marble baseball card issues by 1983. The timing was perfect for me to delve into food issues, because nobody seemed to care about them, they were cheap, and a challenge to complete sets. That is how I got started on the Post and JELL-O journey that I began in my youth. What's more -- you found throwback collectors, wonderful old-time salts who openly shared their stories and knowledge, and it was FUN!

Your comment about folks exploiting the Post and JELL-O cards by replicating them is sad but predictable. It is simply a reflection of the world in which we live. I harbor no resentment or anger toward people who engage in the practice, but feel badly that they are not experiencing the true joy of friendships and perhaps denying current collectors the satisfaction that may be found in pursuing "real" cards.

Your post about replicas and the opportunity for misuse of the Aaron error card prompts me to edit the image. I'll see if I can alter it, but still retain its character for enjoyment of the Post cereal baseball card community.

Keep me Posted!

Dan
Old 04-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Ben North

Here is your picture with a little extra. I personally don't have a problem with custom/replica cards as long as they are clearly labeled. I would love a high resolution scan to make my own clearly labeled replica.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hankaaron111.jpg (71.0 KB, 189 views)
Old 04-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Dan Mabey

Talking Tommie Aaron "SAMPLE COPY"

Hi, Ben.

Thank you for your post and kind overlay. As you will notice, I have changed the original image to reflect its pedigree.

I will need to spend some time improving resolution of the image. It is a somewhat difficult enterprise, because the text and statistics are literally cut and pasted on the board, and a high resolution scan will show each pasted text line and old fashioned white self-adhesive tape mark.

Maybe I can send it to Battle Creek, and have the Post art department and cartons and containers division work on it for us.

I'll be in touch.

Dan
Old 04-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Bob Lemke

Dan, What a great error card.

When I was a kid in 1962-63 I'd have a big bowl of Oat Flakes every morning before setting out on my paper route. I had many of what are today the scarcer Post cards from those years.

I really don't remember what happened to them, I probably sold them to Richard Gelman circa 1971 when I packaged a bunch of stuff and sent it off to CCC.

I really loved Oat Flakes and was ecstatic when Post revived the brand briefly in the 1980s(?). I haven't yet found a good substitute.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 04-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Dan Mabey

Dear Bob,

It is a genuine pleasure to hear from you. When I reflect upon my introduction to, and lifelong journey in, collecting baseball cards, you are among my top 10 mentors. Your contributions to the hobby have been immense, and my archives (largely extracted from vintage SCD and BHN) include dozens of your articles and on-line narratives.

I have a number of catalogs and missives from the 1970s and the old Trader Speaks. When traveling rom Southern California to the East Coast (to visit relatives) in the early 1980s, I hit a number of baseball card shops in New York and Connecticut. I didn't acquire a huge amount of cards, but the conversations with the "old salts" who frequented those shops were priceless. As you well know, hobby pioneers like yourself could not contain their love of the hobby and recounting their extraordinary experiences in pursuing or divesting of cards. Naturally, some of the pioneers recounted those experiences fondly, and some -- well, "not so much".

So, you actually enjoyed Oat Flakes? Gosh, I think you are the first person who has something positive to say about the variety. Perhaps if you and others had acquired greater quantities in 1962, maybe Post wouldn't have withdrawn the 15 ounce size from the 1963 Post baseball card promotion. [smile]

I have a classic photo showing the Oat Flakes (with the baseball card panels) being packaged at the Post cereal plant in Battle Creek. Perhaps I'll post it, just to get your reaction.

Thanks for your note and being an all-time "good guy" in the hobby.

Dan
Old 04-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Dan Mabey

Default 1962 Post Cereal Oat Flakes Unopened BBC Boxes

For Bob and all Unopened Box Enthusiasts:

Do you think that the matronly lady examining the boxes (or her descendants)might have some of these unopened baseball card panel boxes stashed in a Battle Creek basement or bomb shelter?

[NOTE: Trust me. It's happened before.]

Keep Me Posted. Dan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oat Flakes 1962.jpg (55.3 KB, 106 views)
Old 04-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Bob Lemke

That photo of the Oat Flakes box line brings back good memories.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 04-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Steve

Lightbulb 20th century candy store owners...and their attics

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepmeposted View Post
For Bob and all Unopened Box Enthusiasts:

Do you think that the matronly lady examining the boxes (or her descendants)might have some of these unopened baseball card panel boxes stashed in a Battle Creek basement or bomb shelter?

[NOTE: Trust me. It's happened before.]

Keep Me Posted. Dan.
Well, that's pretty much what happened to eventuate the great Black Swamp Find of a few years ago. Defiance, Ohio family owned a market around the turn of the last century and when candy salesmen dropped by, they left boxes of E-98 cards as samples to be distributed with their caramels. The store owner simply piled up the cards in his home attic because he apparently had no other storage place for them, and a century later, his heirs found them still sitting there, in pristine condition and worth millions.