NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Sean Costello

Default Most overrated pre-war card?

Tom Reed started a thread on the post-war side that asks for the most overrated card (most people voted for the 1952 Mantle). I liked the question, so I'm asking the pre-war guys: what's the most overrated pre-war card?

My answer is the T206 MAGIE. It is essentially a typo. The player isn't famous and his card is plentiful. But the error somehow makes the card more valuable than cards for C. Young, Speaker, Mathewson, W.Johnson, or even Cobb (unless one of those cards also features a rare back).

I know that the MAGIE is rare, but so are other cards that don't sell for nearly as much. So I guess my point is: if this error card was in a set other than T206, would it be an iconic card? That's why I consider it overrated.

So what do you guys think? What other pre-war cards do you think are overrated?

Last edited by Sean; 12-10-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Daryl

Any T206, but especially the Wagner.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Scraps and freaks.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:50 PM

Strictly speaking about value ratio to subject, I think the Ten Million Obak is really overrated. Don't get me wrong though. I want one.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:53 PM
pete ullman

It would have to be the t206 wagner.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:53 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Strictly speaking about value ratio to subject, I think the Ten Million Obak is really overrated. Don't get me wrong though. I want one.
true true...but I don't want one!!!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:01 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I think a lot of the Buck Weaver issues are priced very strong considering. He was a good infielder with an interesting backstory, but seems like a lot of pay for his cards considering.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:25 PM

Default Peter.....

THE FREAKS...and Especially Scrap T206

are still very much UNDER RATED
Old 12-10-2014, 08:42 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Tom R. started a thread on the post-war side that asks for the most overrated card (most people voted for the 1952 Mantle). I liked the question, so I'm asking the pre-war guys: what's the most overrated pre-war card?

My answer is the T206 MAGIE. It is essentially a typo. The player isn't famous and his card is plentiful. But the error somehow makes the card more valuable than cards for C. Young, Speaker, Mathewson, W.Johnson, or even Cobb (unless one of those cards also features a rare back).

I know that the MAGIE is rare, but so are other cards that don't sell for nearly as much. So I guess my point is: if this error card was in a set other than T206, would it be an iconic card? That's why I consider it overrated.

So what do you guys think? What other pre-war cards do you think are overrated?
Magee may not be famous but he does deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. If that injustice were ever corrected it would actually make the card underrated.

Tom C
Old 12-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Tom

I have to agree the Wagner card.. Especially since a lot of it's notariety is based on a fraud.. Mastro!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Most overrated are most pitchers' rookie cards...they generally don't hold as much value over extended time as sluggers do.

Most overpriced is the 1952 Topps Mantle - which is so high, I don't see ever being able to afford it.

An earlier post made it clear that they did not think he was one of the best players of all-time...well, IMHO, that depends on how long your list is.

There is NO DOUBT, however, that Mickey Mantle is the most important player in the hobby!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Most overrated are most pitchers' rookie cards...they generally don't hold as much value over extended time as sluggers do.

Most overpriced is the 1952 Topps Mantle - which is so high, I don't see ever being able to afford it.

An earlier post made it clear that they did not think he was one of the best players of all-time...well, IMHO, that depends on how long your list is.

There is NO DOUBT, however, that Mickey Mantle is the most important player in the hobby!
SPECIFICALLY: "There is NO DOUBT, however, that Mickey Mantle is the most important player in the hobby!"

Very much arguable and not sure how you come to that conclusion. are you talking about the 52 mantle card or mantle as a player? card, probably... player, nope.com
Old 12-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Tom

I feel Jackie Robinson is the most important player in the "hobby" and in baseball.

Mickey Mantle can go down as the player with the most potential who didn't really live up to it.

Last edited by 1963Topps Set; 12-10-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Mike P.ap

Default potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
I feel Jackie Robinson is the most important player in the "hobby" and in baseball.

Mickey Mantle can go down as the player with the most potential who didn't really live up to it.
20× All-Star (1952–1965, 1967, 1968)
7× World Series champion (1951–1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1962)
3× AL MVP (1956, 1957, 1962)
Triple Crown (1956)
Gold Glove Award (1962)
AL batting champion (1956)
4× AL home run champion (1955, 1956, 1958, 1960)
AL RBI champion (1956)
New York Yankees #7 retired
Major League Baseball All-Century Team

How's that for potential? I have read that before and think its a bunch of baloney. How many players would give a right arm to even come close to what Mickey accomplished? He played hurt, he played hard, he did cool stuff.

peace, mike
Old 12-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post

THE FREAKS...and Especially Scrap T206

are still very much UNDER RATED
Indeed. e

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Jeff Lowe

That's easy the T206 Titus .
Old 12-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Wagner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Barry Arnold

Default overrated

T206 Titus

best,
barry
Old 12-10-2014, 11:07 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

M101-4/5 Ruth. One of the most common Ruth cards, especially the undesirable blank back versions.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Goudey 1933 Bengough is well over-rated.

1940 play ball high numbers of long retired HoFers .

T206 Titus
T206 Shag

T201 Dougherty/Lord

Some 1914 CJ are riding the wave now, but they are pretty great cards so I'm not ready to call them over-rated , really.

Underrated= All T3 and T202.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
M101-4/5 Ruth. One of the most common Ruth cards, especially the undesirable blank back versions.
This is the one I'd pick. It was just another Ruth until people hyped it as a rookie card.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:43 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

T206 & 1933 Goudey cards ample amount available.. I don't see that attraction when they can be easily obtained.

Albert
Old 12-11-2014, 01:35 AM
Jeff Lowe

I also never got the big deal over the Sanella Ruth but maybe someone can explain that one to me .

Last edited by Jeffrompa; 12-11-2014 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-11-2014, 03:28 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Absoltely no doubt in my mind

The more recent run up on price with freaks and miscuts particularly as related to T206.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:00 AM
JeR@Me

Default Anything T206

Anything T206 is way overated. The market is abundant with examples. I see Cobb's like fireflies in the sky. Same goes for all the other HOFer's.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Magee may not be famous but he does deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. If that injustice were ever corrected it would actually make the card underrated.

Tom C
I agree he should be in.

Quote:
I have to agree the Wagner card.. Especially since a lot of it's notariety is based on a fraud.. Mastro!
No, the Gretzky Wagner's notoriety is based off of fraud. The demand, and the price the T206 Wagner commands, is based off of rarity, lore, and the fact that the toughest card to acquire from maybe the most famous set ever made is one of the very greatest players to ever step on a baseball field.

Quote:

You can feel whatever you want as far as who you feel is the most important player in the hobby. Jackie Robinson was a tremendous player, and man. I don't think he's the most important, or popular player in the hobby, though.

And missed potential? Mickey Mantle?

Since 1901, 169 players have amassed a WAR (Wins Above Replacement) metric of over 50. Mickey Mantle has the 16th highest WAR of all players in the last 113 years.

I'm not sure how he missed his potential. He had 15 broken bones during his career. He tore up his knee as a rookie (and this was in 1951, long before they had the kind of minimally invasive procedures they can do today). Well, I've torn up my left knee. I've had about 30 broken bones. And I can't get out of bed some days. Mantle not only got out of bed, he hit balls onto the roof of old Yankee Stadium. He won a Triple Crown, and three MVPs. He hit 18 home runs in the World Series, still a record.

The guy didn't miss any of his potential. Could he have 600 home runs if he'd taken a little better care of himself? Maybe. But to say he's the player with the most potential that didn't live up to it is just wrong. I'm sorry. Three MVPs. Three MVP second place finishes. A third place finish. Two fifth place finishes. He played 18 seasons, two of which he played fewer than 100 games. Of those remaining sixteen seasons, nine of them he placed no lower than fifth place in the MVP. He had a .994 OPS for the decade of the 50s. The guy was a megastar.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Bill James rates Mantle 6th of all time. He points out among other things that he walked a phenomenal amount, and had a career on base percentage of .421.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post

Tom C
Tom you hit the nail on the head. I have been saying for years Magee should be in!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:08 AM
Bob Donaldson

Anything Black Sox related

Throw a World Series, have a movie made about you and your cards sky-rocket in value
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Any card sold for more than $100,000. They include the same ink and are printed on the same cardboard as the other cards in a particular set. This gets me even more when it is the difference of a minimal amount of ink (looking at you Doyle t206 NY Nat'l variation: PSA 3 Nat'l = $411,250.00, PSA 3 without Nat'l = $71)

I enjoy cards but I would rather stick to cards that don't cost me the same as buying a house. I can't even think of paying off the lot car prices for a card not alone house prices.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:25 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default paintings

some paintings have a little bit of ink..like 3 lines with different colors and they are 1 million.and you can get paintings with more ink for 1 dollar...

it not about the ink man..
Old 12-11-2014, 07:29 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
true true...but I don't want one!!!

I do have a Ten Million OBAK....but, I still agree with Packs' and Pete's above statements.

However, just like "Shag" Shaughnessy, Ten Million has a strong following which drives their cards way above what they should normally be worth.

TED Z
Old 12-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Al Richter

Default Overrated

What exactly does overrated mean ? Does it refer to market value or market perception, or both, or neither ? The Wagner and Manlte sell what they sell for. They do not seem overrated to me because a lot of folks wouLd like to have one but think they are too expensive at the prices they are actually selling for. An individual seller may overvalue a card, in which case it does not sell. But if the Wagner and Mantle keep selling in auctions I do not see how they are overrated, at least in terms of market
Old 12-11-2014, 08:06 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
What exactly does overrated mean ? Does it refer to market value or market perception, or both, or neither ? The Wagner and Manlte sell what they sell for. They do not seem overrated to me because a lot of folks wouLd like to have one but think they are too expensive at the prices they are actually selling for. An individual seller may overvalue a card, in which case it does not sell. But if the Wagner and Mantle keep selling in auctions I do not see how they are overrated, at least in terms of market
i tend to agree with this rationale...so I would change my initial comments from t206 wags to something like a ten million obak...or a t206 titus...or something that has become desirable for seemingly "silly" reasons like a cool name...or facial hair!!!!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

T206 in general and Wagner in particular. I agree on the Ruth rookies, and I would add the E90-1 Joe Jackson, but #1 is Wagner.

As a rule, if Joe Orlando included it in his Top 200/250 Sportscards book it's overrated.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:19 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
some paintings have a little bit of ink..like 3 lines with different colors and they are 1 million.and you can get paintings with more ink for 1 dollar...

it not about the ink man..
We aren't talking about paintings...

Even if we did want to use paintings as a reference point you would have to find two paintings done by the same painter in the same studio with the same medium in the same period that had a price difference of 579,225% due to one stroke of the brush. That is the difference paid in the Doyle situation for a card that was printed on the same sheet in the same factory by the same company with the same subject matter.

Should there be premiums paid. Sure. Yet no card, to me, can be worth over $100,000 (I could even say nothing over $13,000, when a brand new car can be had for $12,800 msrp). It is an arbitrary line, I admit that, but that is my opinion.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:23 AM

To me an overrated card is one that is expensive for dopey reasons and not expensive because it's rare or even desired.

The Wags is expensive because it's known as an expensive card. It's not because it's the rarest card ever or even that it's really all that desired. Non-collectors only want it because they know it's expensive, not because it's a card of Honus Wagner and not because it's a T206. This is evident in all the coverage sales of the card get from outlets totally uninterested in baseball cards. So to me that makes it overrated.

Last edited by packs; 12-11-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

I think any variation of a common player that commands a huge premium is overrated. Hoblitzel no stats for example. The Doyle. Nodgrass. and so forth

Old 12-11-2014, 08:38 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Default value

Any time you buy something with intrinsic value, theres always a chance its 'overvalued' We aren't buying gold, heck even the US Dollar can be overvalued its just paper....I can do more with gold...

eventually I worry this is all just a Ponzi scheme and for the 3000 dollars cards..people will say its just cardboard..and not drawn by an artist..

i don't even understand why paintings go for millions but theres a market...when the economy collapses..the best of the best always have a market..but these lower condition cards .the PSA 1s-4s on the big cards i do think are overvalued..cause they will be first to go down..as the upper middle class buyers will have less money ...the PSA 8s that's a different story

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-11-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Any card sold for more than $100,000. They include the same ink and are printed on the same cardboard as the other cards in a particular set. This gets me even more when it is the difference of a minimal amount of ink (looking at you Doyle t206 NY Nat'l variation: PSA 3 Nat'l = $411,250.00, PSA 3 without Nat'l = $71)

I enjoy cards but I would rather stick to cards that don't cost me the same as buying a house. I can't even think of paying off the lot car prices for a card not alone house prices.
I completely agree. To me the most overated are the Goudey Ruths. There's 4 of them for pete's sake! While not the most expensive cards, still way too much for cards that are that abundant. And when it comes to cards in excess of $100,000, I'd rather own something more relevant to baseball history. I'd much sooner have a Ruth game used bat than a high grade Baltimore News. Ruth handled and used the bat to ply his trade, while the BM is just a piece of cardboard the happens to have his picture on it. Don't get me wrong, I love cards, but theyre not as historically significant as memorabilia to me. Just my opinion lads.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
To me an overrated card is one that is expensive for dopey reasons and not expensive because it's rare or even desired.
I like this rationale.

In my opinion:
T206 Titus - is this "coolness" solely because he is the only player depicted (to my knowledge) with a mustache in the set?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think the T207 Louis Lowdermilk card is overrated. It's not even that rare when compared to the other cards in the set according to the pop reports, and moreover, who the heck is this guy?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I think the T207 Louis Lowdermilk card is overrated. It's not even that rare when compared to the other cards in the set according to the pop reports, and moreover, who the heck is this guy?
who the heck are 95% of the players in the T206 set..

heck most future hopeful baseball card collectors don't know who the heck 95% of the baseball players are today let alone the 1990s or 80s...
Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
In my opinion:
T206 Titus - is this "coolness" solely because he is the only player depicted (to my knowledge) with a mustache in the set?
That, and he's being hoarded.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Quote:

You can feel whatever you want as far as who you feel is the most important player in the hobby. Jackie Robinson was a tremendous player, and man. I don't think he's the most important, or popular player in the hobby, though.

And missed potential? Mickey Mantle?

Since 1901, 169 players have amassed a WAR (Wins Above Replacement) metric of over 50. Mickey Mantle has the 16th highest WAR of all players in the last 113 years.

I'm not sure how he missed his potential. He had 15 broken bones during his career. He tore up his knee as a rookie (and this was in 1951, long before they had the kind of minimally invasive procedures they can do today). Well, I've torn up my left knee. I've had about 30 broken bones. And I can't get out of bed some days. Mantle not only got out of bed, he hit balls onto the roof of old Yankee Stadium. He won a Triple Crown, and three MVPs. He hit 18 home runs in the World Series, still a record.

The guy didn't miss any of his potential. Could he have 600 home runs if he'd taken a little better care of himself? Maybe. But to say he's the player with the most potential that didn't live up to it is just wrong. I'm sorry. Three MVPs. Three MVP second place finishes. A third place finish. Two fifth place finishes. He played 18 seasons, two of which he played fewer than 100 games. Of those remaining sixteen seasons, nine of them he placed no lower than fifth place in the MVP. He had a .994 OPS for the decade of the 50s. The guy was a megastar.
I just want to add that I never liked Mantle growing up, I wasn't old enough to see his prime, just his last 5 years or so and I thought he was overrated. Looking back, I really think his place in the hobby is deserved. From 1955-64, he should have won 8 MVPs in my opinion. He was the best player in the AL over that period and the Yankees won the pennant every year except 59. Those 10 years stack up against any player in baseball history. Injuries cut his career short by a few years, so his counting stats are lower than they could have been.

As far as Jackie Robinson, I think he (and Aaron) are vastly overrated in regards to baseball and the hobby. Jackie Robinson is one of the most important people in American history for what he did to integrate the game and for civil rights. However, there are only ~8% of players that are black compared to ~28% latin, so to me Roberto Clemente was more important to the game, enduring "double racism."

As far as overrated cards, to me no cards from T206, 33 Goudey or 52 Topps are overrated. Those are the 3 iconic sets in the hobby that any serious collector should collect. As the backbone of the hobby, the demand for those cards justifies the prices.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Pete Sycks

T206 O'hara / Demmitt Polar Bear

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-11-2014, 11:45 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

When some random studio CDV is suddenly labelled a baseball card and baseball card collectors bid it up to $20,000-- that's often overrated. Or overpriced, if that's something different.

For the record, I also think the 1952 Topps Mantle is overrated. I have nothing against Topps cards or Mantle and understand why its a popularly collected card. I just think it is overrated. I've always defined a collecting 'Holy Grail' as being rare, and the card is far from rare.

I also think the T206 Wagner is overrated, but still considered it 'the' card in the hobby. Unlike the Mantle, it is limited in number and is a cultural legend like Elvis and the Mona Lisa. Nothing wrong with having popular icons.

The Gretzky Wagner is definitely overrated as a baseball card itself-- but has an interesting story. Anything covered by ESPN is bound to be overrated.

These are all just my idle opinions. Feel free to ignore.

Last edited by drcy; 12-11-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
I completely agree. To me the most overated are the Goudey Ruths. There's 4 of them for pete's sake!
Big +1, but they are high-quality and beautiful, especially the yellow background one.

Also high-grade M116 Sporting Life. You could order these pristine in sets - they had none of the worries of cards packed in cigarette packages or candy boxes - plus their designs are about as basic as you can get outside of a strip card.

Strip-card Ruth 'cards' are also way overpriced in my opinion.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:56 PM
An$on

Default Overrated

Agree with someone's earlier post on the Bengough 1933 Goudey. Also, it's not as valuable, but I'd throw the Moe Berg card in there, too, since I posted about it recently.

Just irks me to no end that that card is right up there in value with legit Hall of Famers like Mel Ott, Rogers Hornsby, Paul Waner, Mickey Cochrane, etc. WWII spy - I get it. Kinda cool. But his card's value shouldn't be nearly that high IMO.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:51 PM

In the T206 set, besides the hoarded Titus, how about Red Kleinow catching pose of Boston. People say it's the tougher version in the T206 set, but I think there just as many New York versions as Boston versions. In vintage cards, how about the 1952 Topps #1 Andy Pafko card. Just because it's the #1 card in the set why should this card as expensive?