NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Bill Potter

Default My FIRST Old Judge!

After months of wanting an N172 and constantly being outbid on ebay and finding nothing in my under fifty bucks price range I finally came thru!
Trimmed but not skinned though it was glued to an ancient scrapbook with a big flower bouquet thing and something about a park in Queens in 1889.
I was afraid to try to peel it from the scrapbook page so I just cut out around it and I'm left with a scrapbook flower saying "true to thee" on the back I put it in a single screwdown inside a penny sleeve.

As was pointed out to me here this is a fellow named George Myers who played catcher for Indianapolis. I assume it is fairly common and I know it is very trimmed.
Either which way it has made me one happy camper

Last edited by sandmountainslim; 11-01-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Bill Potter

The scrapbook page I got it from.
Never would have found it if not for a fellow member with a keen eye. Next to the card my favorite part is the kid holding a possum

Last edited by sandmountainslim; 10-31-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Default Congrats on your new pick up!

Love to see a fellow collector excited to share their new acquisition. Glad the post office managed to get it to you even if it was a little late.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Fred

The start of an addiction..... it's like the potato chips... you can't eat just one.... in this case, you can't own just one.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
The start of an addiction..... it's like the potato chips... you can't eat just one.... in this case, you can't own just one.
If they were cheaper you would be right My bankbook says "stick to T206" lol
Old 11-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Derek Granger

Congrats...hard to not like a piece of cardboard from the 19th century! I was up to 10, down to one, and am now back up to two!! They are hard to resist for sure!!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 11-01-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
Either which way it has made me one happy camper
That is what collecting is all about. Congrats on the new card and a good story about finding it on the scrapbook page. Good luck with the next one...
Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Bill Potter

I have this one OJ now and my 41 T206 cards and assorted neglected '33 Goudy's and '41 Play Ball cards.
I just showed my 8 year old daughter all my OJ reprints and the one original and she is familiar with all my T206 cards. I asked her which set she likes best and it was "I like the one with Jack (Knight of the NY Highlanders) best" I guess the color of the 206 more suits her tastes Move over Cobb and Honus. 206 is Jack Knight's set now! lol
Old 11-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Bill Potter

I have been looking at all the different Subsets of N172 that people collect (teams, players etc) and should I decide to attempt a few more cards the "subset" I want to collect is one of my own invention.
I would like to collect a card from every position of a baseball team irregardless of what team the player actually played for. You could call it a Generic Team Set. Example

1 Catcher (Myers)
1 1st baseman
1 2nd baseman
1 3rd baseman
1 Shortstop
3 Outfielders
3 Pitchers

Had I worked on my T206 set in similar manner it would be finished now I realize the OJ will be a lot harder to complete as such a subset and much more expensive than the T206

Last edited by sandmountainslim; 11-02-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
I have been looking at all the different Subsets of N172 that people collect (teams, players etc) and should I decide to attempt a few more cards the "subset" I want to collect is one of my own invention.
I would like to collect a card from every position of a baseball team irregardless of what team the player actually played for. You could call it a Generic Team Set. Example

1 Catcher (Myers)
1 1st baseman
1 2nd baseman
1 3rd baseman
1 Shortstop
3 Outfielders
3 Pitchers

Had I worked on my T206 set in similar manner it would be finished now I realize the OJ will be a lot harder to complete as such a subset and much more expensive than the T206
If I understand your subset, that would be an easy task and not that expensive.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
If I understand your subset, that would be an easy task and not that expensive.

Joe
It should be fun A good way for a collector on a budget (like myself) to put together an N172 or any other set. Pieced together like a fantasy team.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Bill Potter

I believe this card has driven me mad.
All day at work yesterday and today I look at the scan of it on my phone....wished I had more N172 cards and pondered on how many examples of this particular card exist.

I have came home and surrounded myself with my T206 collection hoping those cards will pacify and ease my Old Judge Hunger

Did I mention I love baseball cards?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Val Kehl

My guess is that your T206 collection DID NOT pacify and ease your Old Judge Hunger. IMHO, real photo cards trump artist-rendition cards every time!
Val
Old 11-05-2014, 03:55 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
IMHO, real photo cards trump artist-rendition cards every time!
Val
Amen to that, brother!

Last edited by kkkkandp; 11-05-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I believe this card has driven me mad.
All day at work yesterday and today I look at the scan of it on my phone....wished I had more N172 cards and pondered on how many examples of this particular card exist.

I have came home and surrounded myself with my T206 collection hoping those cards will pacify and ease my Old Judge Hunger

Did I mention I love baseball cards?
The only way to truly answer that question is by buying every example you see. Should only take 22 years from experience
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
My guess is that your T206 collection DID NOT pacify and ease your Old Judge Hunger. IMHO, real photo cards trump artist-rendition cards every time!
Val

Lol now I am obsessing over BOTH sets Bought two T206's and have been looking for another N172.
The thing about the drawings on the 206 is some of them look REALLY good like the Ames portrait or more famously the Wagner portrait but some of them look like horrible cartoons (Little Nemo Stephens, Moose McCormick and many more) I wonder if they hired "bargain artists" to do some of the cards?