NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-13-2013, 08:40 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default How About Some Love for 1974's?

It's funny to me that no love is ever given to the 1974 Topps set when people are compiling lists of great post-war sets.

To me, Topps reached their high water mark when it came to using live action shots on the cards that year. They used a wide variety of 'poses' and game situations that are far from the cliched shots you usually find.

I just grabbed a few pics from ebay to show the majestic nature of this set. If you look at all the action shots from 1974, it gives you a great idea of what happens during the course of a game. I unabashedly love it!!!!

1974a.jpg
1974b.jpg
1974c.jpg

And let's not forget the awesome horizontal shots. Yes, most of them involve catchers, but they add such a great element to the set.

1974d.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 AM
scott altland

The Nolan Ryan is my all time favorite card.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Al Richter

Default 1974

I like the 74 set. It was an historic set in that it was the first one where Topps eliminated series distribution and published all of the set at once. The Washington/San Diego twist was also cool.

Up until 1994, in addition to the regular Topps sets, I also collected all Topps test or insert sets for each year, and 1974 was a good one for extras.

Admittedly there was that ugly Traded set. But the 1974 Deckle set was nice, and I collected that 3 ways, white back, gray back and undeckled proofs. I also have the Action Emblem Stickers set in cloth and cardboard form.. And I have a set of the 12 Puzzles and a set of the 74 Stamps...and the Team Checklists. Topps test and insert sets , which were magnificent during the 60s and early 70s, dropped off quite a bit after 74
Old 07-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Scott M.

Whenever I get tired of collecting Mantle's (maybe never) the 1974 set is my next one to buy. You can get a nice '74 set for a very reasonable price in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Mikeknapp

The 74 set was the first one I completed buying pack after pack as an 11 year old. The Garvey, Robinson(s), Rose, Reggie, and Ryan are beautiful. However, I always loved the Ralph Garr.

Last edited by 71buc; 07-14-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default 10 reasons to love the 1974s

1. Not to difficult to get NM cards, especially when compared to the 1973s
2. Winfield rookie
3. Washington variations
4. First traded set?
5. Hank Aaron specials
6. Lots of great action shots of Hall of Famers: Ryan already mentioned, but I love the Reggie Jackson, Cepeda & the Killebrew card
7. Attractive framing with the adjacent banners top and bottom
8. Red border autographed team cards (a parallel subset before its time)
9. Jesus Alou error
10. I say Apadaco; you say Apadaca

Fun set to collect.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 AM
Al Richter

Default 1974

Good list Joe
Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Mark

Don't forget the three Dave Freisleben variations.

This set was always special to me, but can someone tell me what was up with the background color on the Billy Williams card. It's got a weird yellow thing going on there.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Al Richter

Default Williams

Dark---I had just assumed it was a group of the Low Men in Yellow Coats from Hearts in Atlantis taking in a game
Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Jason Albregts

I attempted to put together this set, but lost interest in it. It is my birth year so you would think that putting it together would be a no-brainer, but my OCD kicked in I'm going to put it up for sale here soon in fact (shameless plug).
Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
The 74 set was the first one I completed buying pack after pack as an 11 year old. The Garvey, Robinson(s), Rose, Reggie, and Ryan are beautiful. However, I always loved the Ralph Garr.
I was just like Mike...this was the first one I attempted to complete pack by pack... last regular card was Dave Sells that I actually had to trade a friend for...it was conducted on the porch of his grandma's mobile home park... on a nice summer afternoon nice memories! Later on...went to complete the master set by getting a 1974 Washington Nationals Dave Roberts at a card show some 20 years later...

Ricky Y
Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Rich Klein

Default I wish I remembered

but one of the checklist cards (263, 273?) was really tough to find and I never had any stock of that card and always was being asked for that card back in the day.

And in NJ, the Randy Jones WNL Card was for some reason much tougher than the other cards -- now the cards in the 300's are tough as well

Rich
Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by goudey1933 View Post
The Nolan Ryan is my all time favorite card.
Mine too...I have about 20 of them!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 PM

I have been putting together a raw set for a couple of years, only picking
centered and sharp corners. I started collecting in 1972, so the 70's sets are special.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:57 PM

Default I like 'em too

I just wish the '74 Schmidt looked halfway as nice as these. I remember getting my mom to take me to Toy City to get a couple of those 3-in-one cello packs. You would go thru the whole box looking for the best showing front or back stars. Also, just shaking my head at the fact the last years (1973) Cy Young went to Palmer when Ryan pitched not one but 2 no-hitters and broke Koufax' single season strikeout record. SOB Palmer had as great team and the voters gave him brownie points for his wins - when hands down the best pitcher was Ryan. I was 9 years old and lived less than half hour to Anaheim Stadium - saw ryan many times. You always heard the before game crowd banter, "will Ryan throw another no-hitter tonight?"

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1974duo.jpg (76.4 KB, 275 views)
Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Erik

I know this thread is a few months old but I am back into collecting after taking a while off.

I like the 1974 set a lot. But, I think it does not get its just due because, in my opinion, the next year, Topps hit a big winner with the 1975 set.

The color and style of the '75 set along with the rookies such as Brett, Yount and Rice just over shadow the 1974 set.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Matt

The photos in 74 are awesome. Great sampling. Has inspired me to go find a nice raw set for a binder now!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Torre brushed back, Reitz blowing a bubble, Simba and his long. Great action Cardinals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torre74.jpg (60.6 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg reitz74.jpg (30.8 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg simmons74.jpg (37.0 KB, 214 views)
Old 10-21-2013, 07:51 AM

As much as I like '74, I always thought they dropped the ball with Aaron's card. The #1 card should have been a "Highlight Special"... it was ugly for a regular issue card. I did like the Aaron specials, much like I enjoyed the '75 MVP's. I was 10 years old at the time; it was the first time I got the chance to see what the older Topps cards looked like. And looking at the Killebrew card - you can clearly see that it was his batting profile that was used for the MLB logo (I've heard speculation that it was Pete Rose, but look at the logo and then look at the '74 Killebrew card - Identical.

Last edited by Gr8Beldini; 10-21-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Steve Birmingham

74 was the first year I really collected as a kid. I'd bought about a pack a year from 69-72, moved in late 73 to a neighborhood where some kids collected cards, so I bought a few late 73 packs. (High numbers?! What?! Our neighborhood store had the all in one set packs)

The Aaron specials made me aware of older cards for the first time.
And the Washington cards probably made me interested in variations.
And one of the local stores carried not only cards, but pages and binders.
(Both horrible, but at the time all there was)
The best day was Mom bringing home a rack with Aaron on the front, along with 4 or 5 others. The store put them on sale late in the year for less than half price. Of course I opened them all.

I got close to the full set, within maybe a hundred or so, and gradually finished it off later.
The last one was the Schmidt. Finally found one at a nice price when they started getting cheaper. Maybe mid 90's?
Still don't have all the Washingtons, but I do have the Alou no position.

Anyone else recall a rumor that the A's manager card had a question mark instead of a picture? That had me searching for a month or two back then.

It's about the only set I still have in a binder. And even though I could I've never really given much thought to upgrading any of the cards. I suppose eventually I'll do a second set in really nice condition.

Steve B
Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
1. Not to difficult to get NM cards, especially when compared to the 1973s
2. Winfield rookie
3. Washington variations
4. First traded set?
5. Hank Aaron specials
6. Lots of great action shots of Hall of Famers: Ryan already mentioned, but I love the Reggie Jackson, Cepeda & the Killebrew card
7. Attractive framing with the adjacent banners top and bottom
8. Red border autographed team cards (a parallel subset before its time)
9. Jesus Alou error
10. I say Apadaco; you say Apadaca

Fun set to collect.

Best regards,

Joe
All of these factors are what led me making '74 the first set I decided to put together(master). Definitely one of the most interesting sets that Topps ever made, in terms of variations and subsets..

As far as the traded set thing. Yes, it was the first stand-alone traded set. I find it interesting because of the way they numbered them as sort of a counterpart to the standard card.. Off the top of my head '59 might've been the first year that they fooled around with traded/optioned variations. I think '54 Bowman had a coupla traded variations as well..
Old 10-21-2013, 06:01 PM
€d M!££w00D

Love this thread. I just completed the 74 set. It holds a special place in my heart and memory because it was the first year I began collecting cards. I spent countless hours that summer looking at the cards and absorbing the stats. Sold the (near complete) set in 1980 and immediately regretted it.

Ed
Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 AM
M@rk Comer

Default 1974 Topps Brooks Robinson

The main reason that I'm not too crazy about the '74's is the Brooks Robinson card (since that's mainly what I collect). Out of all the great in-action shots of other players, like Ryan and Reggie, this is the best they could do with Brooks?!?

I still have his card...but still...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1974 Topps.jpg (33.6 KB, 186 views)
Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I'm not a fan of this set. I think the 1973 set has better action shots and better photos overall.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
I'm not a fan of this set. I think the 1973 set has better action shots and better photos overall.
Personally, I think the 1973 design is weak. Yes, there are some cards I like in the set but overall I just did not care for it.

I thought the design was a bit better in '74 but great in 1975.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Personally, I think the 1973 design is weak. Yes, there are some cards I like in the set but overall I just did not care for it.
+1

1974 is one of my favorite post-war sets. I liked it so much at the time I put together just short of three full sets at age 15, before I took some time off for girls and cars. I REALLY like the design--the chevron-like streamers center the photo part of the card just right IMO and are color coded by team, a feature I always liked from the 60's sets (and missing from the '75 set). I actually prefer the posed shots to action photos--at least at the time, because so many of the latter seemed busy and/or had the featured player too small in relation to the photo (see Fisk, Seaver). That being said, I thought the Rose, Ryan, Carlton, Dent, Osteen and Reggie cards, among others, were/are great. Agree on the Aaron card being ugly, at least for his "main" card. Liked the leader cards (not as many "heads") and the Aaron tribute of all the old Topps issues. Not a fan of the traded series, especially as it gave more opportunities for the dreaded airbrush, and the team checklists got monotonous early. Still, count me as a big fan.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
I agree, and from a collecting standpoint the 73's are much more difficult to find in nm condition vs the 74's. I love the 73's, and it is one of my all-time favorites. All about personal preferance.......
Old 10-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
The main reason that I'm not too crazy about the '74's is the Brooks Robinson card (since that's mainly what I collect). Out of all the great in-action shots of other players, like Ryan and Reggie, this is the best they could do with Brooks?!?

I still have his card...but still...
At least it's not the shot from 77. That one I almost expected to see the "large Elvis" sequin jumpsuit.

Steve B
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM
M@rk Comer

Steve,

Like Elvis, he should have retired a few years earlier. When it comes to some of the Brooksie cards I'd just like to know who in the world chose the pictures; weren't there any better shots of him than the ones they used?!? Maybe a fielding pose or two...
Old 10-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Mark, if you collect B Robinson cards, I imagine you are very disappointed ( I am ) with the lack of variety between his cards from year to year. When I think of Robinson, I think of fielding first. What a great player, and Topps gave no thought to his cards, and could have / should have produced more photos of him in the field. The only card with Brooks in the field is his 73. His other cards in the years of 66,67,68,69,70,72, and 77 are cookie cutter photos and unimaginative. The 76 looks like he's shielding his eyes from the sun. Great player, Topps did his cards no justice though.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Steve Birmingham

He's one of my favorite players too.

I met him in 76, at a Sports Illustrated Hospitality suite (I was 13, so it was a bit unusual) He held up the autograph line to talk baseball, and the one guy who complained got put in his place very quickly.

Keeping his priorities left a lasting impression, even though I didn't know just why at the time.

Steve B
Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM
M@rk Comer

Lou... You're right. The 1963/1964 have the same pose, the 1967/1969 (also the Super) same pose, and also used the 1962 pose on several issues like the stamp, coin, etc.

I do like all of his cards, but they could/should have been a lot better in my view.

Steve... Every time I have met Brooks it's always been a great experience. Always seems to act like you're a long lost friend. Makes it even nicer to collect his stuff.

Now... If anyone has a '61 Dice Game, '67/'68 Disc, or the '68 3D they can give/sell me it would make me feel a whole lot better!

Back the original subject. Overall I like the '74 set, but there are several I liked a lot better back in the day, and probably still do. I love the '71's and '75 set, but really who knows why...
Old 10-26-2013, 10:48 AM

At age 12 in 1973 I bought like crazy. It got better (or worse) in 1974. As Rusty Staub is my all-time favorite, I love his pose. He was not in 1972 nor 1973. Now this pix of him in 1974 strikes me funny. Looks to me like the umpire just made a bad call. And Rusty is staring at him and thinking "W T F. Are you kidding me? I do love 1974. I finally finished it at a show in abut 1982 when I acquiored the ellusive Rick Wise. Probably the first Topps set I ever finished
Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Paul Toti

Default I like 1974 topps

I just put this set together last month and loved looking at all the action shots while picking though boxes of '74 commons trying to find the cards with the most vibrant colors. My set is strong nm/mt and gorgeous.